problem creating persistence

Post your questions about Refracta here.

problem creating persistence

Postby milomak » May 4th, 2019, 3:46 pm

i have created an ext4 partition with a label

however when i choose Persistent 08 in the main menu, i get the below error when i select partition /dev/sdd2

what am i doing wrong?
milomak

Re: problem creating persistence

Postby fsmithred » May 6th, 2019, 1:35 am

I don't know. Run it again in debug mode (refracta2usb -d) and you'll get a more verbose log. What version of r2u are you using?
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » May 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Make sure you really selected the partition when you select it. I've seen it where a partition looks highlighted, but when I click on it, the highlight gets darker. Not sure if I've seen that in r2u, installer or snapshot. I suspect it's a gtk3 oddity.
fsmithred

Postby milomak » May 7th, 2019, 6:13 pm

fsmithred wrote:I don't know. Run it again in debug mode (refracta2usb -d) and you'll get a more verbose log. What version of r2u are you using?

debian package v2.4.1

the debug output. i think it shows /dev/sdd2 was chosen
milomak

Postby fsmithred » May 8th, 2019, 3:26 pm

OK, got it. It actually shows that you selected "(null)|/dev/sdd2|" which doesn't exist, therefore it has no label. I ran into this with one of the other tools recently, and I hope I'm remembering correctly what I did to fix it.

Make sure you see the edit I added at the bottom.

Edit /usr/lib/refracta2usb/functions/functions.mkpersist...
Add to line 42 (before the final backslash):
Code: Select all
--separator=""

so it looks like the following (without the extra line breaks)
# Only up to partition 9, or $persist_dev needs to be redefined.   -name "/dev/${DEVICE}[1-9]"
#       selection=$(find /dev -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1  -name "/dev/${DEVICE}[1-9]" \

selection=$(find /dev -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1  -name "*[sh]d[a-z][1-9]" \
        | grep $device | sort | awk '{print "\n" $0 }' \
        | $DIALOG --list --title=$"Persistent Partition" --text=$"Select a partition to use for persistence." \
        --multiple --column ' ' --column 'Partitions' --height=380 --width=150 ${RADIOLIST} --separator=""  \
        --${BUTTON0}="OK"${BUTTON0NUM} --${BUTTON1}="Quit Task"${BUTTON1NUM})

That should get rid of the "(null)" in your chosen device name.

This is supposed to be one line:
--multiple --column ' ' --column 'Partitions' --height=380 --width=150 ${RADIOLIST} --separator=""  \

EDIT
After looking at my commits on refractainstaller, I think you need to remove the null column (after --multiple). I'm not sure if you need the separator or not.
--multiple  --column 'Partitions' --height=380 --width=150 ${RADIOLIST} --separator=""  \
fsmithred

Postby milomak » May 10th, 2019, 11:23 pm

fsmithred wrote:EDIT
After looking at my commits on refractainstaller, I think you need to remove the null column (after --multiple). I'm not sure if you need the separator or not.
--multiple  --column 'Partitions' --height=380 --width=150 ${RADIOLIST} --separator=""  \

did this edit and it seemed to be fine with it.

will boot and check

edit - it has just occurred to me i will be trying to use this on a uefi system.

for various reasons which have kept me awake for sometime, i won't be changing that system to legacy boot.

however from how it completed after this change, i am fairly confident this will probably work.
milomak

Postby fsmithred » May 11th, 2019, 1:37 am

Thanks for testing. I'll make the change and push a new version soon.

Should work fine with uefi if the iso is uefi compatible. The usb will boot on uefi or legacy bios.
fsmithred

Postby milomak » May 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm

fsmithred wrote:Thanks for testing. I'll make the change and push a new version soon.

Should work fine with uefi if the iso is uefi compatible. The usb will boot on uefi or legacy bios.

i'l tetst when you say it is good to go

thanks
milomak

Postby fsmithred » May 17th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Here's the new version:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... -2.4.2.deb

* Remove null column in partition list window
* Expand search pattern to find more partitions

I don't know if there's a use for the expanded search pattern, but now it will find partitions on mmc devices and virtual drives (vd[a-z]) just like the installer does. I guess they won't show up unless they're usb devices. It will show more than 9 partitions now. (Contrary to what the comment in the script still says.)
fsmithred

Postby milomak » May 17th, 2019, 3:08 pm

fsmithred wrote:Here's the new version:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/refrac ... -2.4.2.deb

* Remove null column in partition list window
* Expand search pattern to find more partitions

I don't know if there's a use for the expanded search pattern, but now it will find partitions on mmc devices and virtual drives (vd[a-z]) just like the installer does. I guess they won't show up unless they're usb devices. It will show more than 9 partitions now. (Contrary to what the comment in the script still says.)

thanks
milomak

Return to Refracta