Refracta 9.0 Released

Post your questions about Refracta here.

Refracta 9.0 Released

Postby fsmithred » February 8th, 2019, 12:28 am

Refracta GNU/Linux has a new stable release (9.0) and a new Home Page at
https://refracta.org/

Refracta-9.0 is based on Devuan-2.0 (ASCII) and provides a lightweight
desktop with software for most home computing needs.

Features:
- kernel 4.9, sysvinit, eudev, elogind, XFCE4 (4.12.3)
- The desktop is installed as individual parts rather than from a metapackage, making it easier to remove individual parts.
- Utilities for diagnosis, rescue and repair.
- Refracta Snapshot and Refracta Installer allow you to easily make your own custom live-iso from the installed system.
- Boot to high-contrast/accessibility theme with second item in boot menu.
- All free/open-source software installed. Non-free wireless firmware packages are included in case you need to install them.

Download stable version: https://get.refracta.org/files/stable/
fsmithred

Re: Refracta 9.0 Released

Postby BoneZ » February 17th, 2019, 2:48 am

Updated. See next post...

Liking it so far. I'm trying to disable/remove the Nouveau kernel driver so that I can install the NVIDIA proprietary video drivers, but am having problems removing Nouveau. I found several guides, but they're not working, and the NVIDIA driver is still saying Nouveau is still in use. I'd love to figure out a way to get the NVIDIA proprietary drivers installed. That's the only thing left to make this particular distro what I want it to be.
Last edited by BoneZ on February 18th, 2019, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoneZ

Postby BoneZ » February 18th, 2019, 3:33 am

UPDATE - I was able to get NVIDIA proprietary drivers installed. I now have my apps installed, with Cinnamon DE and graphics drivers for hardware acceleration. Now I have the look and feel of Mint without the bloat, and without the headache of trying to get Refracta tools working.

I was just originally going to use Nemo file manager since that's what I want most from Cinnamon. But I like the themes and other options of Cinnamon as well. If Cinnamon proves to be too unstable (as it tends to be outside of Mint), then I'll just stick with the original DE of Refracta OS and use Nemo. For now, Refracta OS is a great base to add to with Refracta tools already installed and working! Thank you, Fsmithred!
BoneZ

Postby fsmithred » February 19th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Glad you got it working. Installing nvidia drivers in Refracta is the same as in Devuan and Debian. Either method should work (i.e. packages from repo or binary from nvidia)

Note: If you want to make a live-usb with nvidia driver, I recommend you do that in a persistent volume so you can still get a desktop if you boot the usb on a machine that doesn't have nvidia graphics.

I know there are people using cinnamon in devuan, and as far as I know, everything is working. I've only played with it a little bit, but it seemed fine to me.
fsmithred

Postby fsmithred » April 14th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Refracta 9.1 (13 Apr 2019)
https://get.refracta.org/files/stable/

WHAT'S NEW -
- Added gvfs-backends.
- Atril replaces xpdf. (So I could print my boarding pass.)
- Added fontsnaps (For larger/smaller desktop fonts and icons)
- Added gnome-system-tools.
- Added refracta-lang for easier locale settings at the boot screen.
- Security updates through date of iso.

Atril added 124mb. I give up on the 700mb limit.
It still fits on a 1gb usb stick!
fsmithred

Return to Refracta