IBM to buy Red Hat

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

IBM to buy Red Hat

Postby cynwulf » October 28th, 2018, 11:48 pm

cynwulf

Re: IBM to buy Red Hat

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » October 30th, 2018, 4:03 am

I thought Red Hat would not be the one that was not sold, while Ubuntu and Suse would be bought by people like Microsoft. Linux is going in an "interesting" direction. Corporate takeover appears to be accelerating.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » October 30th, 2018, 4:03 pm

SUSE has already been passed around repeatedly... :?

Who can say if Red Hat is in trouble or not... one big corporation swallowed another. Happens a lot.

Of course the initial PR responses are the usual gushing enthusiasm from the people at the top.

SUSE were pushing out nonsensical PR to the effect they were were "partnering", even when it was apparent that they had been repeatedly sold down the river.

No one can really say what will happen to Red Hat. It only takes a change of leadership and direction for someone to decide to cut them loose, asset strip and pass the carcass on to the next venture capitalist/investment company.
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » October 31st, 2018, 2:30 am

cynwulf wrote:Who can say if Red Hat is in trouble or not... one big corporation swallowed another. Happens a lot.
Red Hat is supposedly making a lot of money, so if they are in trouble they have either been hiding it well or have suffered a patch of bad management.

No one can really say what will happen to Red Hat. It only takes a change of leadership and direction for someone to decide to cut them loose, asset strip and pass the carcass on to the next venture capitalist/investment company.
If they were asset-stripped, it could potentially have a big impact. Who would pay Poettering and company to work on systemd? What would happen to Gnome? Companies buying and selling for short-term profit could make a (even bigger) mess of things.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » October 31st, 2018, 9:07 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Red Hat is supposedly making a lot of money, so if they are in trouble they have either been hiding it well or have suffered a patch of bad management.

Poor wording on my part - I wasn't referring to "financial troubles". I mean in terms of "about to be broken up, dissected, asset stripped and sold off" kind of trouble. Financially as I understand it, Red Hat are doing well, IBM not so well. This is more about shareholders demanding that IBM become more of a player in the "cloud" and get less involved in mainframes, etc.

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:If they were asset-stripped, it could potentially have a big impact. Who would pay Poettering and company to work on systemd? What would happen to Gnome? Companies buying and selling for short-term profit could make a (even bigger) mess of things.

What I'm saying is that the Red Hat business could be "spun off" again in the future, once IBM have gotten what they wanted out of it. There are various commercial options, but in general terms, at some point someone will look to reduce costs. The resulting "independent" Red Hat may still continue to fund developers and other projects.
cynwulf

Return to Technical Talk