First timer seeking info

Post your Debian questions here.

First timer seeking info

Postby tweetybird » September 29th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Hi
Never tried or used Debian. My education in computer science is none. No education. Twenty years plus Microsoft Windows and had enough of it. Last two years has been learning what I can with Ubuntu and present version is 16.04LTS. Know little about Linux. Learned recently Canonical pulled a fast one with spyware and now data mining.

Being a Senior Citizen with little education is it possible to learn Debian? Which version? Presently I have a dual boot with Windows 7 Home Edition and as stated Ubuntu 16.04LTS. I would like to find a used laptop and dedicate it to Debian. What information would be helpful would be appreciated. If you feel Debian is not for me than please state that. Why waste my time and yours. On the other hand I would like to have a "pure" OS where data mining or spying could never happen. Am I being naive?

thanks for taking the time.
tweetybird

Re: First timer seeking info

Postby fsmithred » October 1st, 2018, 8:55 pm

If you'll have a spare laptop to experiment with this, then definitely try debian. You can find written or video install guides for the debian installer. I don't think it's any more difficult than the ubuntu installer. The only tricky part might be non-free firmware (e.g. wireless drivers) that aren't included by default. Use a network cable for the installation. See the debian wiki for instructions on getting your wireless working if it doesn't work out of the box.

If you think debian is immune to spying or hacking, then yes, you're being a little bit naive. But at least it's not included by default like it is in some distros. (web browsers excluded from this argument - I think their main purpose is spying now. Didn't used to be that way.)

Have fun.
fsmithred

Return to General Questions