Trouble in Linux-land

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Trouble in Linux-land

Postby namibed » September 27th, 2018, 4:56 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Be civil.

yes; it really shouldn't be all that different from real life civility.
what Ehmke & Co. are doing atm, if they did that in real life, out in the street or even outside of the FOSS bubble; well i don't think it would even be possible.

btw, i'm still looking for a good place to petition against this CoC, esp. as part of the Linux kernel.
strangely, i found only one on change.org but it wasn't very good.
preferably something that will reach torvalds & kroah-hartman.

issues on github?
join the kernel mailing list?
or an actual petition somewhere?

what r.d.albus wrote reminds my of what i recently wrote on LQ on the subject:

i'm thinking how i can sum up what is happening here. "SJW" just doesn't sound right, it doesn't give meaning (i mean, it's not like i'm against social justice). neither does "witchhunt". for a moment i thought "Pogrom" was a better term, but that seems to be reserved for Jews and physical violence.

In the end, what some people are doing here reminds me a lot of what was going down in the former Eastern Bloc and China: people being persecuted because of saying the wrong things, because of expressing opinions that do not fully align with what those in charge say. Many of them even believed in the ideal of communism, they just weren't happy with some aspect of it, often exactly with how it was being enforced. Like now.

Let us not forget that the followers of Ehmke's politics do not wield any actual power just yet.
But they sure behave like they would want to.
And that is what I want to petition against.
That is what I do not want in the Linux kernel, or in fact any FOSS project.
Becasue using that particular CoC is a step in that direction.
namibed

Postby namibed » September 29th, 2018, 5:38 am

golinux wrote:Oh no! debiman has found a refuge at DUF to share his locked troll-bait post on FDN. This is where the troll that he quoted troll censored. FTR . . . that troll is NOT a lawyer.

i am not sure where i am supposed to have quoted the author of that text.
i certainly did not quote the text directly.
i think it's horrible, and in no way do i condone this sort of behaviour.

Why do people try to shove opinions into one of two boxes here? either black or white, either good or bad?
I am appalled that someone could interpret my words as support for people who are spouting stuff like in the above mailing list. giving them a blanket amnesty of "free speech"? no, i never said that.

In case I haven't made it clear enough yet; I think we already have laws in the real world that make some speech or opinion illegal or at least prosecutable, and not other. And there's no reason to try to go beyond that.
The above linked text would fall into the illegal category, i think.
But i very highly doubt that this person regularly contributes to any open source projects.
In fact, I think it's deliberate trolling; a hit and run sort of thing.
On the other hand, all the examples I have seen quoted to serve as justification to demand kicking someone out of a FOSS project came nowhere near that. I might not agree with their opinions either, but it's not a crime by any measure.
Last edited by namibed on October 2nd, 2018, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
namibed

Postby golinux » September 29th, 2018, 7:02 am

I owe namibed an apology. Hey, I'm old and confused at times. LOL! Anyway, the post I had remembered was by makh and removed almost immediately by FDN mods. It contained a link to [utl=https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-killswitch-coc-controversy-1252/]this post[/url] which had also landed at dyne. I'll delete my above post and likely this one too eventually also because I don't want to perpetuate this troll's presence here or anywhere else.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby namibed » September 29th, 2018, 9:32 am

apology accepted!

but - it might have been me after all, because i did link that article at some point (however, it did not get deleted).
https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-ki ... ersy-1252/
i honestly do not understand why this is trolling or click-baiting.
i had no particular reason to link that particular article, except that it seemed to simply throw togetehr various comment from various sources.
apart from their choice of sources, the author seems fairly objective. really just quoting what others have to say.

disclaimer: i am looking at that page with all cross-site references and javascript blocked. maybe it looks "worse" when those are enabled.

but all in all, yes, i am getting tired of looking at the same sources over and over.
i would like to see more articles from all across the spectrum of opinions.
without joining twitter or facebook.
namibed

Postby golinux » September 29th, 2018, 4:07 pm

namibed wrote:apology accepted!

:)

That troll is well-known but changes his nicks with almost every post to avoid detection. In his latest assault on DNG, he used maybe 5 or 6. We have been dealing with him for years and know his MO very well. Just search for MikeeUSA to see what his ultimate goal is.

I wish that users had anything to say about the CoC. But much like the GR, our voices just won't matter so ultimately talking about it is a waste of time IMO. Action, if needed, will be the only solution much like we did with Devuan.
golinux

Postby namibed » September 30th, 2018, 11:20 am

golinux wrote:

That troll is well-known but changes his nicks with almost every post to avoid detection. In his latest assault on DNG, he used maybe 5 or 6. We have been dealing with him for years and know his MO very well. Just search for MikeeUSA to see what his ultimate goal is.

the author of that article is apparently called "Editor", but it would appear that that stands for stories posted either anonymously or by lulz.com maintainers: https://lulz.com/author/lulz/
are you saying DNG (what is that?) has been trolled by the same people that are running the lulz.com website?
how do you make this deduction?

and i still don't see how the article is trolling.
it merely quotes and compares a whole lot of other articles; there is little text written by the author itself, and what there is seems properly descriptive and journalistic to me.
i agree that the choice of articles might not be wholly objective, but i wouldn't call that trolling.
namibed

Postby golinux » September 30th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Not lulz but the author of the post quoted there. That troll was recognized at DNG (Devuan ML) after one or two posts. He is very skilled and the unsuspecting get sucked in. Then eventually he does the anti-feminism rant. I suggest you remove the link to DNG that you quoted so he doesn't get additional air time.
golinux

Postby JohnDeere630 » October 7th, 2018, 7:13 pm

This thread devolved into claptrap from this post forward, so I split it into Nonsense, where it belongs.
$500 bounty paid for each pair of SJW balls...also for hen's teeth, unicorn horns and other imaginary items.
JohnDeere630

Previous

Return to Technical Talk