adoption takes a while, when it happens

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: adoption takes a while, when it happens

Postby nodir » November 25th, 2015, 10:26 am

I for one don't do much to avoid systemd. In gentoo i set a flag, perhaps a few, shit knows, and that was that.
In Salix i did nothing.
(Well:Ok, i changed the OS. That is quite a thing ...).

But that was not your point. I only mention it as a side note.
Yes, the userbase is weird now. And everytime i check that thing called devuan, it is exactly what i don't want, what i am not looking for
(for starters: If someone asks a question, it doesn't mean you *have to'* answer, even though you got no clue what the fuck you talk about).
iow: Linux as a whole looks to me like Ubuntu and Mint looked to me, say, 5 years ago.
Probably Linux was fucked up 5 years ago, but forums debian was a safe haven, with geeks and freaks, good advice, usually the cli, usually correct answers, but, first of all, shitloads of fun.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 25th, 2015, 10:54 am

nodir wrote:I for one don't do much to avoid systemd. In gentoo i set a flag, perhaps a few, shit knows, and that was that.

That's how it should be. With Debian it seems to get sucked in silently. Even if you have sysvinit-core installed, the package manager drags in systemd and systemd-shim and installs the whole shebang, just without systemd running as PID1.

nodir wrote:(for starters: If someone asks a question, it doesn't mean you *have to'* answer, even though you got no clue what the fuck you talk about).

This seems to go on a lot now at the linuxquestions forum and the other Debian forum. People seem to compete for reputation and 'street cred', answering everything and anything while not having a clue. And if they can't answer then they still post, even if it's "you should have searched" or you "you didn't write that post correctly". Or they will turn the thread into their own off topic chat on how to ask a question or how to search.

nodir wrote:Probably Linux was fucked up 5 years ago, but forums debian was a safe haven, with geeks and freaks, good advice, usually the cli, usually correct answers, but, first of all, shitloads of fun.

It looks like most of the forums got too "professional". Now it's all business like, with full on moderators and people who take themselves very seriously and like to tell other people what to do. The other Debian forum is at least not like that, but the quality of the threads there is sub par and those answering don't really know their stuff and there's no one there who does who can expose that.

This is probably as good an example as any http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125905

The thread starter has enough experience to get a serial console hooked up to that box and posts the output. I haven't a clue, but neither has the administrator who answers. According to them, Ubuntu bug reports, filed against the Linux kernel or other common software, are in no way relevant to Debian!!??

I would search the web for some of the errors, the first thing I noticed there was "tainted". He mentioned AMD graphics, so probably a proprietary driver. We all know how reliable those are!?
cynwulf

Postby nodir » November 25th, 2015, 11:34 am

Lol. I guess i can skip what i had in mind: Giving linuxquestion another try (to get Salix sorted, perhaps even Slackware, not sure yet. Gentoo/Funtoo i still got in mind, i didn't give up on them. Salix i prefer, cause it ain't time consuming).

For now i try to have fun on Facebook (which works pretty well, but there i speak German which ... well: I am able to speak German, no need to learn it ... ).
Facebook is more lulz than any given linux forum? That says a lot, huh?
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 25th, 2015, 1:27 pm

nodir wrote:Lol. I guess i can skip what i had in mind: Giving linuxquestion another try (to get Salix sorted, perhaps even Slackware, not sure yet. Gentoo/Funtoo i still got in mind, i didn't give up on them. Salix i prefer, cause it ain't time consuming).

Well linuxquestions serves the purpose if you just ask questions and want answers, beyond that it's not a community as such, more like a technical support board staffed by volunteers. The Slackware forum is there, so not much choice, but Salix does have it's own forum, but never been there myself.

I suppose if the OS does what you want it to do, the forum doesn't matter?

What would be better would be some more general 'free software' forums rather than all of these Linux distribution specific support boards and question and answer sites like linuxquestions and stackoverflow, serverfault and the rest.

Linux needs to get back to it's roots, rather than end users swallowing all of this corporate bull crap. It is excessive corporatism and the misguided celebration of embedded Linux based devices like android as the "success" of Linux which has led to the current situation which systemd is just one facet of.
cynwulf

Postby nodir » November 25th, 2015, 4:18 pm

Yup, i don't really need a forum for technical support.
Most things work anyway, and the few questions i got i get answered in IRC. Or, which happens quite often, i simply ignore the problems.
The Salix forum doesn't seem very active.

Just in case it matters (i'd say it doesn't):
I am looking for freaks and geeks, for chat, lulz, whatever. And i have found it in real life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1M3dx2o-A4
nodir

Previous

Return to Technical Talk