The Machine

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: The Machine

Postby grommile » September 9th, 2015, 10:30 am

tomazzi wrote:But, foremost, the whole noise about their "new computing technology" is a result of the fact, that D-Wave quantum computers have showed up to be ~30 times faster than fastest HP supercomputer, while using 10 times less energy... (oh, crap, lets do something - let's start with advertisements...)

Given that - from what I can quickly pick up - D-Wave's quantum computers have not yet been shown to be general purpose computers, I can't see HP getting scared just yet.
grommile

Re: The Machine

Postby tomazzi » September 21st, 2015, 12:08 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Especially the Tilera deal. That would be worth reading up on.

TILERA has curently the most powerful CPU in the world - It was confirmed by the tests made by Facebook and Google. The main (but theorethical) problem is, that x86 has huge portfolio of applications which are ready to use. On the other hand, only closed-source apps are problematic, which is not a problem in case of f.e. Android-based devices (tablets, smartphones). So Tilera for some "unexplainable" reason, apparently don't want to make money...
AFAIN, currently the TILERA CPUs are used only in networking expansion cards for servers (with few 1..10 Tbits channels). The conlusion is: They are not going to compete with Intel's MIC technology (which is far less advanced, untested and far too young), but not even with ARM, which is very old and has completely no chances with TILERA.
So, perhaps I should also mention Samsung, because they're pushing ARM technology to the market...

grommile wrote:Given that - from what I can quickly pick up - D-Wave's quantum computers have not yet been shown to be general purpose computers, I can't see HP getting scared just yet.

The problem here is, that people in general do not understand what the "general purpose computer" means.
For decades, the GPUs were treated as a specialized CPUs, but today almost every GPU can run OpenCL programs...
Moreover, a "general purpose" supercomputers are used mainly to run a specialized algorithms, used to process a dedicated set of data. This is exactly why quantum computers are so good: they have simplified the computation of complex sets of data, by simplifying the way the algorithms are written. (Here I can recommend reading about the "Ising Model" f.e.)

Regards.

edit:
This is a direct link to a pdf describing what is this all about:
http://www.dwavesys.com/sites/default/files/weightedmaxsat_v2.pdf
/edit

edit2:
What a coincidence... a day after I've edited this post, the link to "weightedmaxsat_v2.pdf" stopped to work ... hmm
So here's the updated link:
https://dwave.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/weightedmaxsat_v2.pdf
/edit2
tomazzi

Previous

Return to Technical Talk