Crunchbang calls it quits.

Discussion of technology related topics including news, events, and announcements.

Re: Crunchbang calls it quits.

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 9th, 2015, 11:54 pm

cynwulf wrote:Well what happens to OpenBSD if the same happens to Theo de Raadt?
OpenBSD is not a one-man project, is it? de Raadt is the leader. I forget if he is or is not a dictator regarding policy, but there is a team of developers. If he were to disappear, I imagine the project would continue. Volkerding does a god job, but I am only aware of two or three other people who contribute to Slackware. Mainly with things like SlackBuilds.

Same with the Linux kernel...
I thought Torvalds was the main developer, not the only one.

No disrespect whatsoever to the crunchbang guy, but at the end of the day it was not a distribution, just a desktop customisation... same with Linux Mint and quite a few more...
This is true.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » February 10th, 2015, 8:41 am

My point is that while projects like Linux and OpenBSD would likely continue if their founders/project leaders disappeared, they will most likely change and some may not like the changes.

Slackware has about 3 or 4 other contributors to the base system, but many others contribute to slackbuilds.
cynwulf

Postby mean_dean » February 10th, 2015, 4:55 pm

In this case Philip has supposedly asked that the name not be used. In essence he has ended the project and asked that it be retired. Every forum member and his brother wants to start some new crunchbang derivative, whatever that may be. Some of them seem to doing the smart thing and working on the process of adding the crunchbang goodies to a default debian install.
mean_dean

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 10th, 2015, 11:09 pm

In this case Philip has supposedly asked that the name not be used. In essence he has ended the project and asked that it be retired.
Which is interesting. If he wants the project to die, he must have come to the conclusion that it serves no purpose. That is the only reasonable thing I can think of at the moment. The only other reason I can think of is jealousy about one's work, which I doubt is the case.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » February 10th, 2015, 11:27 pm

Personally I think he sold out to systemd and Poettering...

I would suggest that a bunch of italians from the milan area immediately found "gangbang Linux" a fork of crunchbang which aims to completely eradicate every vestige of systemd

I suggest "gangbangfork.org" as a suitable domain name for the project.
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » February 10th, 2015, 11:39 pm

I cannot wait to see the GangBang logo.
Randicus Draco Albus

Previous

Return to Technical Talk