Our Debian Hardware Compatibility List

Discuss a HowTo.

Moderator: How-to Curator

Our Debian Hardware Compatibility List

Postby huggybear » February 16th, 2011, 12:53 pm

The subject says it all -- I would like you to list devices you own and which run Debian, and state

1. how compatible they or their individual parts are with Debian
2. what hick-ups the user might expect when installing Debian on the device
3. what could be done to solve it (either describe the fix or link to external sources)
4. which Debian version you tested it on
5. whether proprietary blobs are necessary or if it can be used without packages from non-free, contrib, Debian Multimedia or other external sources.

Thank you!
<< I guess that makes them "DEBITARDS" ..... >>
huggybear

Re: Our Debian Hardware Compatibility List

Postby huggybear » February 16th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Asus K50IN

Type: Notebook

Specs: Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 3 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce G102M, 512 MB, 250 GB HD, DVD+-RW, Realtek Ethernet RTL8111/8168B, Atheros AR9285 Wireless, Chicony CNF7129 1.3 mega pixel webcam, 3 in 1 card reader,

The notebook was tested mostly in Debian Squeeze, from late 2009 till its stable release. If you want to use oldstable, be advised that the Ethernet card didn't work in Lenny's installer. Most of the hardware works out of the box in Squeeze. The only hick ups are the nvidia card and the webcam. I had some random freezes on the system, but those seem to happen when doing intensive graphical tasks and having the notebook on your lap or another surface which increases temperature and obstructs the airflow. Even though the fan's exhaust is on the backside, not having air flowing under the notebook very rarely leads to the crashes. Ever since I avoid it, the freezes have gone. I consider it therefore to be a user error on my part. I'm overall satisfied with the notebook, but think that ASUS could have included HDMI and bluetooth.

1. Video Card

KMS is not supported by nvidia, and the Nouveau drivers which are shipped with Squeeze do not support this card. When you boot with KMS and Nouveau drivers installed, you will get screen garbage which locks up your display entirely and won't even let you escape to a console. If you installed X on Debian already and get locked up like that, then just restart and append another option to your grub boot which says

Code: Select all
nomodeset

I always put it just before the quiet option. You can then boot grub with CTRL+x. Please refer to the grub documentation or the various HOWTOs describing this process.

Future versions will support the card (Nouveau and KMS work out of the box on other distros which have newer kernel and X versions -- suspend/hibernate are still a bit buggy though and there is no proper video acceleration or any 3D to speak of; 2nd monitor detection is awesome though). Don't bother with the old nv drivers, they don't support the card either. The VESA drivers work, but are horribly slow and have a smudgy image, as well as screen artefacts when switching desktops and windows.

1.1. Nvidia proprietary driver installation

Debian's own Nvidia driver packages from non-free work splendidly with this card. They give the best performance regarding 3D and video acceleration. Using newer versions of the driver from their website doesn't seem to give me any noticeable advantages, so I just stick with the ones provided by Debian.

As you have guessed from above, we'll have to permanently disable KMS first. Just put the option nomodeset in /etc/default/grub. It belongs in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= section. It should look like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"

Since the Nouveau drivers tended to mess up X even though I explicitly disabled KMS, I always remove the package xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and also blacklist the nouveau module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf .

blacklist nouveau

This might be unnecessary, but I'm paranoid, what can I say. :)

Make sure you have non-free and contrib in your sources.list. Then just update the cache and install the nvidia-glx package. I suggest you also install nvidia-settings for a nice setup tool, especially if you plan to use the VGA out for beamers and other monitors frequently. Make sure you tell xorg.conf to use the nvidia driver.

If you want VDPAU video acceleration, install the vdpau-va-driver package. My experience with mplayer is that it only marginally alleviates CPU usage when watching HD video, and VDPAU for DivX/XviD doesn't even work. There is also a very nasty downside to it -- the vsync is borked with it. In MPlayer, xv video out looks best, but you should use gl if you have vsync issues when using compositing window managers (Compiz, KDE4, Xfce's compositer).

The nasty vsync issues in Compiz can easily be fixed. The problem is that Compiz cannot properly detect the monitor's refresh rate (not in all cases, but at least on this notebook). Install compizconfig-settings-manager and run it, open General Options under the General tab. Turn off the Detect Refresh Rate option and enter your Refresh Rate -- it should be 60 Hz on this notebook. Activate the Sync to VBlank option and you're done. If it still doesn't work, make sure that vsync is enabled for OpenGL in nvidia-settings. Sadly, I wouldn't know of any fix for Xfce, and Kwin just didn't have those problems, especially since I used the MPlayer with gl fix.

2. Webcam

The webcam is made by Chicony and is supported by the kernel's uvc drivers. Don't expect miracles from it -- the image is rather poor, even though it's quite fine for the occasional Skype call. However, the image is upside down in certain programmes -- most noticeably Skype and Google's Gtalk Video Chat Plug In for Gmail. The workaround is to force those programmes to use the old V4L1 drivers instead of V4L2. So, instead of starting the executable skype, you start it like this:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

For 64 bit, you will need this instead (since Skype is 32 bit only):

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

For the Google Talk Video Chat, just start your browser in the same manner, e.g.:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so iceweasel

The image also tends to be rather dark in Skype unless you apply sunlight or white light. There seems to be no workaround for that until Skype decides to make a proper config utility to at least set up the gamma value.

3. Other Useful Tips

- ext4 works fine on this notebook and, while not considerably faster than ext3, it is a lot faster than ext3 when it's time for one of those regular disk checks.

julian67's great speed up tips work splendidly on this machine:

- mount your drive noatime
- the package readahead-fedora gives an incredible boost to the boot time
- the package preload caches your most frequently run programmes and makes them start up faster with time
- in order to make better use of all the RAM and alleviate writing to hd, append this to your /etc/sysctl.conf

# echo 'vm.swappiness=20' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

# echo 'vm.vfs_cache_pressure=50' >> /etc/sysctl.conf

For some reason, Pulseaudio had issues like choppy playback when I used the fixes in sysctl.conf with Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Since I never used Pulseaudio in Debian, I can't know for sure whether it's Pulseaudio, or just their version of Pulseaudio, so the issues might as well not even exist in Debian.

4. Further Information

Vendor website: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=a0SoFMXEV1tE5tTL

Linux specific info: http://www.linlap.com/wiki/asus+k50in

A review: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asu ... 971.0.html
Last edited by huggybear on February 16th, 2011, 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
huggybear

Postby bmc5311 » February 16th, 2011, 3:51 pm

Lenovo ThinkPad X200

Type: Ultraportable laptop

Specs -
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.67 GHZ / 4GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Video - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 / 12.1” WXGA Widescreen display
Network - Ethernet / stock Thinkpad 802.11bg wireless card replaced with Intel 5100 wireless card / Bluetooth / 56K Modem
Other - USB / Card Reader / Camera / express card slot

I purchased this machine right before the x201's came out, got it from an authorized Lenovo vendor with no OS installed or included. I installed debian testing (Squeeze at the time) and everything worked out of the box with the exception of the original wifi card (intel 802.11 bgn - rtl8192/r8192S) it was a POS, even after compiling the driver from source it remained unreliable. I replaced it with an Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN (bought it on ebay for @ $20). The 5100 AGN started working as soon as I installed it and rebooted. I have never used the modem, so don't know if it works or not.

I used thinkwiki.org as a reference to tweak the volume up/down/mute buttons and the trackpoint (http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/appropriate_term.png), the fn keys all worked out of the box.

I've never run anything except debian testing on this machine.
Over all an excellent machine for debian, it works well with blackberry tethering (with barry) and the camera works with skype.

Vendor website: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/x-series/x200
thinkwiki for x200: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X200
MacBook Air / stable amd64 / openbox
2006 mac mini / stable / openbox
bmc5311

Postby nadir » February 16th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Family Number says: M5521 and kelsoo says that is/could be it:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/i ... v_400.html
Somehow like this:
front screen says:
imac

lshw says:
debian-mac               
    description: Computer
    product: iMac FireWire
    vendor: Copyright 1983-2001 Apple Computer, Inc. All Rights Reserved
    serial: HU7RU9496XD
    width: 32 bits

lspci says:
markus@mac% lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth AGP
0000:00:10.0 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RL/VR AGP
0001:10:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth PCI
0001:10:12.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV23 IEEE-1394 Controller
0001:10:17.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo Mac I/O (rev 02)
0001:10:18.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0001:10:19.0 USB Controller: Apple Computer Inc. KeyLargo USB
0002:20:0b.0 Host bridge: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth Internal PCI
0002:20:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Apple Computer Inc. UniNorth GMAC (Sun GEM)

Installation was straight forward, with a little trouble about xorg.conf (solve-able, but for me it would be better to start without environment, install ssh and rsync the xorg.conf in place. See bottom).

With MacOS9.2.1 installed i installed the firmware:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1283?viewlocale=en_US
I downloaded the Debian installation CD for ppc and did it the usual way, but skipped environement (for me: like usual).
I installed ssh and rsync and moved this xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
##imac-ppc-slot-loader-350-xorg.conf#################

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 58-62
VertRefresh 75-117
#ModeLine "1024x768" 78.75 1024 1044 1140 1328 768 781 784 820 +hsync +vsync
#ModeLine "800x600" 62.40 800 821 901 1040 600 609 612 644 +hsync +vsync
#Modeline "640x480" 49.90 640 657 721 832 480 481 484 514 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
#Virtual 1024 768
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Module"
Disable "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" "intl"
Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Option "CCEusecTimeout" "100000"
#Option "UseFBDev" "true"
EndSection

Installed xorg, fluxbox, alsa-base and am ready to go.

That is all i can say. Hardware is not my thing.
Besdes the xorg.conf everything worked out of the box. Sound is a bit strange, but i am at it.
Big thanks to oswaldkelso/kelsoo, who did hold my hand and also the spoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
During the first installation i installed xfce4 from the installation process.
I did get a black screen only. No tty, no nothing.
I took the installation CD, went for expert, went for rescue, went for shell-access, installed ssh and rsync and rebooted. Started my PC and rsynced the xorg.conf in place.
nadir

Postby JohnDeere630 » February 17th, 2011, 7:52 pm

Well, I got my new hardware yesterday & stayed up late getting it assembled. I installed the 2-14 build of Wheezy. I have an MSI 890FX mainboard & Phenom II 6-core cpu and an MSI videocard with the nVidia 460GTX chipset, and I have to say, it was a boringly easy install. Had a minor issue with the new video card, but nothing serious. When I rebooted after the install, the system mostly loaded the desktop, but hung. I ctrl-alt-F2 out & installed the 2.6.32-5-amd64 headers & build-essential, then ran:
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/240.19.36/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36.run

then rebooted into repair mode & ran:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.36.run

That was it. Display came up at the right resolution, everything now works.
We scare because we care.....
JohnDeere630

Postby huggybear » February 19th, 2011, 7:19 pm

Nvidia Graphics Cards Reference Chart

Nvidia Driver Installation HOWTO:

http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

This is a list of Nvidia drivers available in the Debian repositories with the cards they support. The focus is mostly on the current stable release, i.e. Debian 6.0 Squeeze, except for one case where an unstable driver from Sid might help users of Oldstable to provide 3D acceleration for cards prior to the GeForce 2 series. In both Testing and Sid, driver support may change any day as the open source driver nouveau sees special attention lately, and Nvidia's proprietary drivers phase out rather old devices once every while. Hence it is rather hard to keep track of all the changes.

Current state in a nutshell: If you want proper 3D acceleration for OpenGL games and compositing, and especially, if you want video acceleration (VDPAU), then there is currently nothing better than Nvidia's proprietary drivers. Everything from the GeForce 2 family onward to the GeForce 300 Series is supported by the proprietary drivers, and even some 4xx work -- however, for most of the 400 and 500 series models, you will have to update your drivers. They are in the non-free section of Debian's repositories and very easy to install, and the latest ones are on Nvidia's site and in Experimental. For less demanding users, the open source drivers might do it just as well, as they have 2D acceleration, but usually no 3D. The nv driver supports a lot of cards from Riva 128 to the GeForce 9 series, as well as some recent cards, but work on it has been discontinued and it only has 2D acceleration. The nouveau driver is rather new, but progressing rapidly. On Squeeze, it supports many cards from Riva TNT to the 7xxx series, but recent versions support even more cards. nouveau will also attempt to support 3D, but this is still very experimental.

If you need to provide 3D acceleration on video cards prior to the GeForce 2 family, you could still use Oldstable (Debian 5.x Lenny), as it will be supported for about another year after Squeeze's release date. You would still have to add an unmaintained and possibly broken package from Sid for it to work. The driver in Sid will not work with versions of xserver beyond 1.4.

Nvidia has had a very complex system of naming their video cards. With open source drivers you have to be aware that sometimes, even if your video card series is supported, you still might have an odd chipset which isn't supported by the driver. See here on what chipset your individual video card might be.

CHANGELOG

19th February 2010 -- First post.

1. Open Source Drivers

1.1. Nv

Package: xserver-xorg-video-nv
Support range: Riva 128 - GeForce 9 Series, G and ION
Acceleration: 2D only
Multiple displays: Yes
Documentation: man nv, /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nv/

From the man page:

nv is an Xorg driver for NVIDIA video cards. The driver supports 2D acceleration and provides support for the following framebuffer depths: 8, 15, 16 (except Riva128) and 24. All visual types are supported for depth 8, TrueColor and DirectColor visuals are supported for the other depths with the exception of the Riva128 which only supports TrueColor in the higher depths.

Notes for the GeForce 8 series:

This xf86-video-nv driver package contains support for the NVIDIA GeForce 8
series of graphics processors.

There are a few caveats of which to be aware:
- The XVideo extension is not supported.
- The RENDER extension is not accelerated by this driver.

A note from Nvidia:

On March 26, 2010, Nvidia announced that it would stop supporting new technologies and GPUs in nv, stating that

* NVIDIA will continue to support the existing functionality and existing level of acceleration in the nv driver for existing GPUs, on existing, and (within reason) future, X server versions.
* NVIDIA will not support the xf86-video-nv driver on Fermi (i.e. GeForce 400) or later GPUs.
* NVIDIA will not support DisplayPort, on any GPU, in the xf86-video-nv driver."

Supported video cards:

1997/1998:
Devices: Riva 128 (NV3)

1998:
Devices: Riva TNT (NV4)

1999:
Riva TNT2 Series (NV5M64, NV5)
Devices: Model 64, Model 64 Pro, all TNT2 (plain, Aladdin, Pro, Ultra)

1999/2000:
GeForce 256 (NV10, NV10DDR, NV10GL)
Devices: GeForce 256 (SDRAM or DDR), Quadro

2000/2001:
GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15, NV15DDR, NV15BR, NV15GL)
Devices: GeForce 2 MX/GTS/Pro/Ti/Ultra, Quadro2 Pro

2001:
GeForce 3 (NV20, NV20GL)
Devices: GeForce 3, 3Ti, Quadro DCC

?:
nForce (?) (NV1A, NV1F)
Devices: nForce 1,2

2002-2004:
GeForce 4 (NV17, NV18, NV25, NV28)
Devices: GeForce 4 MX, PCX 4300m 4Ti, Quadro 4

2003/2004:
GeForce FX (5xxx) (NV30, NV31, NV34, NV35, NV36, NV37, NV38)
Devices: GeForce FX/PCX 5xxx

2004-2006:
GeForce 6 (6xxx) (NV40, NV41, NV43, NV44, NV45, C51)
Devices: All 6100-6700; Most 6800 (NV42 might not work?)

2005-2007:
GeForce 7 (7xxx) (G70, G71, G72, G73, MCP6x, MCP7x, NV44)
Devices: All GeForce 7xxx

2006-2009:
GeForce 8 (8xxx), 9 (9xxx) (G8x, G9x, MCP7x, GT21x, nForce 7, GeForce G, ION)
Devices: GeForce 8xxx, Quadro FX 380LP, Quadro NVS 300, GeForce 205, G210, G220, GT240, 310, 315, 320, 340

1.2. Nouveau

Package: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
Support range: Riva TNT - GeForce 7 Series
Acceleration: 2D only, 3D planned
Documentation: man nouveau, /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/

From the man page:
nouveau is an Xorg driver for NVIDIA video cards. The driver supports 2D acceleration and provides support for the following framebuffer depths: (15,) 16 and 24. TrueColor visuals are supported for these depths.

Notes on 3D:

Although the nouveau project aims to provide full 3D support it is not yet complete, and these packages do not include any 3D support. Users requiring 3D support should use the non-free "nvidia" driver.

Supported Video Cards:

1998:

1999:
Riva TNT2 (NV5M64, NV5)
Devices: Model 64, Model 64 Pro, all TNT2 (plain, Aladdin, Pro, Ultra)

1999/2000:
Devices: GeForce 256 (SDRAM or DDR), Quadro

2000/2001:
GeForce 2 (NV11, NV15, NV15DDR, NV15BR, NV15GL)
Devices: GeForce 2 MX/GTS/Pro/Ti/Ultra, Quadro2

2001:
GeForce 3 (NV20, NV20GL)

?:
nForce (?) (NV1A, NV1F)
Devices: nForce 1,2

2002-2004:
GeForce 4 (NV17, NV18, NV25, NV28)
Devices: GeForce 4 MX, PCX 4300m 4Ti, Quadro 4

2003/2004:
Devices: GeForce FX/PCX 5xxx

2004-2006:
GeForce 6 (6xxx) (NV40, NV41, NV43, NV44, NV45, C51)
Devices: All 6100-6700; Most 6800 (NV42 might not work?)

2005-2007:
GeForce 7 (7xxx) (G70, G71, G72, G73, NV44)
Devices: GeForce 7100 GS2, 72xx, 73xx, 75xx, 76xx, 78xx, 79xx

Probably not supported: GeForce 70xx, 71xx (except 7100 GS2)

2. Proprietary Drivers in the Non-Free Section

The proprietary drivers are the only ones with 3D support currently, and multiple displays, as well as TV out work best on them. Over the years, Nvidia has discontinued driver development for older video cards and only maintained them in so called legacy drivers. Once compatibility was compromised by new versions of xserver or Xorg, they just dropped maintanance of old cards altogether. This is currently the case for all cards prior to the GeForce2 line.

The proprietary drivers are hence split into 4 packages (1 of which is discontinued by Nvidia and only works in Lenny -- even though it isn't included in Lenny, only in Sid, due to possible bugs). Regardless of the version, all packages are in the non-free section, as they are not free software.

- nvidia-glx-legacy-71xx DISCONTINUED! Works only in Lenny, available only in Sid!
- nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
- nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
- nvidia-glx

Each of them supports only certain video cards. Descriptions follow:

2.1. nvidia-glx-legacy-71xx

Package: nvidia-glx-legacy-71xx Sid only, Works with xserver <= 1.4, i.e. only in Oldstable (Lenny)
Support range: Riva TNT - GeForce 2
Acceleration: 2D, 3D
Documentation: /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-legacy-71xx/

From the package description:

WARNING: This driver only works with xserver 1.4 that was included in Debian 5.0 (lenny). Newer xserver versions are not supported by NVIDIA. Use a free driver (nouveau or nv) instead or upgrade to nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx (if that still supports your GPU).

Hence, if you have any of the Riva TNT, TNT2 or GeForce 256 line, it might work for you to pull this driver in from Sid to Lenny (see apt-get documentation on how to do that). There must be a reason as to why this package was not included in Sid, so be warned! If you have a GeForce 2, then don't bother and rather use nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx . If you want to use Squeeze or later, there is no way around using nv or nouveau currently. Nouveau might even offer 3D for those platforms in the future, and it would only be a question of upgrading the kernel.

Supported Video Cards

1998:

1999:
Devices: Riva TNT2 (NV5, NV5M64, NV6)

1999/2000:
Devices: All GeForce 256, Quadro

2000/2001:
GeForce 2 (NV15*)
Devices: All GeForce2, Quadro2

2.2. nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx

Package: nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
Support range: GeForce 2 - GeForce 4
Documentation: /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx/

Supported Video Cards

2000/2001:
GeForce 2 (NV11*, NV15*)
Devices: All GeForce2, Quadro2

2001:
GeForce 3 (NV20*)

2002-2004:
GeForce 4 (NV17*, NV18*, NV25*, NV28*)
Devices: All GeForce 4, Quadro 4

2.3. nvidia-glx-legacy-173

Package: nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
Support range: GeForce PCX 4300, GeForce FX (5xxx), GeForce 6800 (only PCI ID 10DE:00F0)
Documentation: /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx/

Supported Video Cards

2004:
Device: GeForce PCX 4300 (NV18)

2003/2004:
Devices: All GeForce FX/PCX 5xxx

2004:
Device: GeForce 6800 (NV40) !ONLY PCI ID 10DE:00F0 !

2.4. nvidia-glx

This is the so called unified driver which gets the most attention from Nvidia and supports the most recent cards (from GeForce series 6 onwards, i.e. some cards from 2004 and everything that came later, up to the 300 Series, but with a few from the 400 Series).

Package: nvidia-glx
Support range: GeForce 6 Series - GeForce 300 Series, A few 4xx models; Driver update needed for most 400 and 500 models!
Documentation: /usr/share/doc/nvidia-glx/

The latest driver in Squeeze supports everything from the GeForce 6 Series to the GeForce 300s. Some 4xx models are supported, but for most 4xx and all 5xx models (2010, 2011) you have to update your drivers! See below...

Table of Supported Video Cards

2004-2006:
GeForce 6 (6xxx) (NV40, NV41, NV43, NV44, NV45, C51, C61)
Devices: All GeForce 6xxx, Quadro FX 4xxx

2005-2007:
GeForce 7 (7xxx) (G70, G71, G72, G73, MCP6x, MCP7x, NV44)
Devices: All GeForce 7xxx, Quadro FX 3xx, 1500, 3500

2006-2008:
GeForce 8 (8xxx) (G8x, G92, MCP78)
Devices: All GeForce 8xxx, Tesla C870

2008-2009:
GeForce 9 (9xxx), GeForce 100 G9x, MCP7Ax
Devices: All GeForce 9xxx, G1xx, G1xxM, GTS 150

2008-2009:
GeForce 2xx, 3xx (GT2xx, G9x)
Devices: All GeForce 2xx/3xx, G2xxM/3xxM, GT 2xx/3xx, GTS 2xx, GTX 2xx (as in 2 hundreds!)

EXCEPTIONS: GeForce 315, 315M, 320M

2009-...:
GeForce 4xx
Devices: GeForce GTX 470, 480, Tesla C2050 !! UPDATE DRIVERS FOR OTHER 4xx MODELS !!

Comma-separated List of Supported Quadro Cards

Sorry, there are just too many of them to sort by year and chipset... :(

FXQuadro FX 4000, FX 4500, FX Go1400, FX 3450/4000 SDI, FX 1400, FX 3400/Quadro FX 4000, NVS 440, FX 540M, FX 550, FX 540, NVS 285, FX 5600, FX 4600, NVS 110M, NVS 120M, FX 350M, FX 350, NVS 210S / GeForce 6150LE, NVS 510M, FX 2500M, FX 1500M, FX 5500, FX 3500, FX 1500, FX 4500 X2, FX 560M, FX 560, FX 370, NVS 320M, FX 570M, FX 1600M, FX 570, FX 1700, NVS 140M, NVS 130M, NVS 135M, FX 360M, NVS 290, Quadroplex 2200 D2, Quadroplex 2200, CX, FX 5800, FX 4800, FX 3800, FX 4700 X2, FX 3700, VX 200, FX 3600M, FX 2800M, FX 3700M, FX 3800M, FX 1800, FX 2700M, FX 380, FX 580, FX 1700M, FX 770M, NVS 150M, NVS 160M, NVS 420, FX 370 LP, NVS 450, FX 370M, NVS 295, HICx16 + Graphics, NVS 5100M, FX 880M, NVS 2100M, NVS 3100M, FX 380 LP, FX 380M, 1800M

2.5. List of Recent, Unsupported Cards

This is a list of recent video cards which came out during 2010/11. There are newer driver versions for those on Nvidia's website to which links will be provided here. You can also try to update your drivers against those in Experimental, but be advised that they needn't be complete or working.

The following models don't work with Squeeze's packages:

2010/2011:

GeForce 300 Series
Devices: GeForce 315, 315M, 320M

GeForce 400 Series
All GeForce 4xx/4xxM (Except the ones listed above), Quadro 600, 2000, 4000, 5000, 6000 (GF100/104/106/108/119)

GeForce 500 Series
All GeForce 5xx/5xxM (GF106/108/110/114/116/118)

Quadro 600, 2000, 4000, 5000, 6000

Driver Download Section of Nvidia's Website

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk

TODO

- ION devices
- Tesla devices

Comments very much appreciated! Thank you! :)

Last edited by huggybear on February 19th, 2011, 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
huggybear

Postby meandean » February 19th, 2011, 7:47 pm

good info huggy, thanks...

I could never figure out which was which and what version...
meandean

Postby huggybear » February 19th, 2011, 10:57 pm

meandean wrote:good info huggy, thanks...

I could never figure out which was which and what version...

You are welcome! It was helluva work. Nvidia's marketing team belongs flogged daily for those awful versioning numbers. Not that ATI are a lot better...
huggybear

Postby huggybear » February 19th, 2011, 11:08 pm

AMD ATI Graphics Cards Reference List

Driver State in a Nutshell: Everything older than the HD series has decent support in the many open source drivers, even though not all 3D features are implemented for every single card. The proprietary drivers only support the HD series (2007 and onward). Squeeze's non-free repos ship with a slightly older version of it, so if you bought the new HD 6xxx or 6xxxM cards, you will have to install the latest driver from AMD's website.

1. Open Source Drivers

ATI Driver Installation Guide

http://wiki.debian.org/AtiHowTo

xserver-xorg-video-ati

This is a wrapper utility which basically loads any of these 3 drivers depending on your current hardware:

1.1. xserver-xorg-video-mach64

Package: xserver-xorg-video-mach64
Support range: ATI Rage 3D, Rage II, Rage Pro (also strangely known as Mach64 GT)
Acceleration: ?

1995: ATI Rage 3D

1996: ATI Rage II

1997: ATI Rage Pro

1.2. xserver-xorg-video-r128

Packages: xserver-xorg-video-r128, firmware-linux (optional)
Support range: ATI Rage 128 Series, Rage XL/XC, Rage Fury
Acceleration: 2D, 3D (needs firmware-linux package fron non-free)

1998/1999:
Rage 128 Series
Devices: Rage 128 VR, Rage 128 GL, Rage 128 Pro

1999:
Device: Rage XL/XC

1999:
Rage Fury MAXX

1.3. xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Packages: xserver-xorg-video-radeon, firmware-linux-nonfree (optional)
Support range: ATI Radeon (7xxx -- i.e. the first Radeon series) to the HD 5890 Series

For most of the Radeon cards this is the only way to provide 3D acceleration, which is mostly great, but sometimes lacks certain features. See here http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature for a list. The radeonhd driver supports only R500-R700 (from the first HD series onward), but radeon mostly offers similar features. If you are not happy with radeon and have an HD card, do try out radeonhd. See radeonhd's section for the differences.

Note that all Radeon cards up to the last X1950 (pre HD) need firmware-linux-nonfree package from the non-free repositories.

2000-2002:
First Radeon Series
Devices: Radeon 7xxx, Radeon AIW, IGP 3xx (R100)

2001-2004:
Devices: Radeon 8xxx, 9000, 91xx, 92xx (R200)

2002-2003:
Devices: Radeon 95xx, 96xx, 97xx, 98xx, X3xx, X5xx, X6xx, X10xx (R300, R370, R380) X-Series marks transition to PCI-e

2004-2007:
Devices: Radeon X7xx, X8xx, X1xxx, 2100, Xpress 200 IGP, 1100 IGP, 1150 IGP (R4xx, R5xx, RS4xx, RS600, RS690, RS740)

2007-2008:
First HD Series (R600)
Devices: Radeon HD 2xxx, HD 3xxx, IGP 3xxx/4xxx

2008-2009:
HD 4xxx (R700)

2009-2010:
Evergreen Series 5xxx (R700)
Devices: Radeon HD 5450 - 5890

Not supported: HD 5970, HD 6250, 6310, Northern Island Series (HD 6xxx, 6xxxM)

See here about S3TC support (thanks to Cynwulf and BioTube).

1.4. xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd

Package: xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd
Support range: Radeon X1xxx (R500), All HD Series (R5xx - R7xxx)
Acceleration: 3D only for R5xx and RS690 (X1xxx)

Radeon seems to have overtaken this driver in many respects, however, some of the HD cards might work better with it. HDMI audio will only work with this driver, as the earliest kernel where HDMI audio was included was .33.

2005-2007:
Last X1xxx Series
Devices: Radeon X1xxx (R5xx, RS4xx) The only one with 3D support!

2007-2010:
First 2 HD Series
Devices: Radeon HD 2xxx, 3xxx (R600)

2008-2010:
Devices: Radeon HD 4xxx, 5xxx (R700)

Probably no support for:

HD 6xxx, 6xxxM (both IGP and Northern Island Series)

2. Proprietary Drivers (fglrx)

Packages: fglrx-driver, fglrx-glx
Support range: All Radeon HD and newer cards (R600, R700 chips; from 2007 on) EXCEPT FOR THE LATEST 6xxx SERIES!

You need to add the non-free repository in order to install this driver.

Proprietary Driver Installation Guide

http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary#f ... 189ffd33ce

Supported devices:

2007-2010:
First 2 HD Series
Devices: Radeon HD 2xxx, 3xxx (R600)

2008-2010:
Devices: Radeon HD 4xxx, 5xxx (R700), up till 5900!

For newer versions (6xxx, 6xxxM), please download an updated driver from AMD (11.2 as of this moment)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Comments and suggestions are always welcome. Thanks! :)

huggybear

Postby huggybear » February 23rd, 2011, 4:59 pm

Intel Graphics Cards Reference List

Driver State in a Nutshell:

Intel has had a very good support for their graphics cards through open source drivers for which they provide documentation to the community. The only exceptions are the GMA 500 chipset which uses a chip licensed from PowerVR. There was a driver in the past, but it is scarcely maintained and horribly buggy at the moment. Intel has promised a new driver in late 2009, but we are still waiting.

However, if you are looking for a way to make the embedded graphics card of Intel System Controller Hub US15W, US15WP and US15WPT, and the Intel Atom Processor E6xx Series work, please note that you will need the Intel Embedded Media Graphics Driver. It isn't tricky to install it, but is a little bit cumbersome. Please refer to this Debian Wiki entry.

1. Open Source Drivers

1.1. xserver-xorg-video-i740

Support range: All cards with Intel i740 chipset
Acceleration: 2D only (info thanks to Julien Cristau)

Intel i740 chipset
Real 3D Starfighter, Express 3D, and others; See here for a full list.

1.2. xserver-xorg-video-intel

Support range: All Intel i8xx, i9xx (GMA) to the GMA HD (first Core i Series)

Pentium III era; IEG (i810, i815, i830)

Pentium IV era; IEG, IEG2 (i845, i855, i865)

Pentium IV era; GMA 900 (i910, i915)

2005-2006

Pentium IV / Core / Core 2 era; GMA 950 (i945)

2006-2007

Core 2 era; GMA 3000 (i946)

2007-2008

Core 2 era; GMA 500, 600, (X)3xxx (i965), (X)4500

Please note that support for GMA 500 (Poulsbo chipset) is rather poor at the moment! The reason behind this is that the graphics core is not Intel's work, but rather an outsourced project by Tungsten Graphics using technology from PowerVR. Intel has promised a new open source driver which would make use of a proprietary blob to solve this. The chip was used in some netbooks, notably the Sony Vaio P and Dell Inspiron Mini 12. For now, there is an experimental driver on Ubuntu's PPAs, so see if this howto helps you. Alternatively, see here for Fedora's proprietary drivers from RPM fusion. Mandriva One 2010 also has a working driver. Use this link to search phoronix.com with Google and stay up to date on the driver's development.

UPDATE -- Feb 28, 2011: It seems that Intel will offer an open source driver in kernel .39, but it will only feature KMS and basic functions. No 3D or video acceleration. The Free Software Foundation has set a goal, however, to reverse engineer drivers for PowerVR based cards. This method will use Gallium3D. This method might include GMA 500 cards as well. More about that on Phoronix.

2008 - 2010

Core i Series era; GMA HD

Note that this driver will not support the new GMA HD 2000 and 3000 from the Sandy Bridge series (2nd generation i Series)! You will have to update your driver for those. See here! Note that the 3D drivers require mesa 7.10 and that the recommended version of xserver is 1.9.3. You will probably have to upgrade those as well.

11th June 2012 UPDATE: Our dear Halvor has found a way to use updated drivers on Squeeze for his GMA 3000. As suspected, it involves updating to a newer kernel and Xorg from backports... Click here!

1.2.1. Video Acceleration

Video acceleration is supported on Intel cards via the libva backend. Please refer to the following packages:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libva1

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/i965-va-driver

Comments and suggestions are very much welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by huggybear on June 11th, 2012, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huggybear

Next

Return to HowTo Discussion