How to turbo boost your web browsing experience

Postby debil » June 28th, 2013, 7:40 pm

The HowTo is here.
Ultimimate fanboi edition contributor
debil

Re: How to turbo boost your web browsing experience

Postby debil » August 2nd, 2013, 7:04 pm

Just to bump with some info:

I added two simple YubNub commands, jduf and jfdn. A command named j already exists, it's a Startpage search shortcut. So, following from that, jduf equals to typing j host:debianuserforums.org strings to search for. jfdn on the other hand searches at, well, you can guess where.
debil

Postby FretfulMother » August 2nd, 2013, 7:46 pm

I yet have to see the point in yubnub (if i want to search in google, i open google and do my search, no?)
same is for rawsurf (you type something in a terminal, that opens a browser and a searchengine for you? huh?)
Well, i don't use searchengines that much anyway, but mainly bookmarks.

This doesn't make it any better:
http://jonaquino.blogspot.dk/2005/06/yu ... -hour.html
and this:

But on a bigger scale, YubNub is the realization of a very big idea: the URL command line of the web OS.

make me thinks: "bugger of" and i call it a day.
FretfulMother

Postby debil » August 3rd, 2013, 10:16 am

Duplicate
Last edited by debil on August 3rd, 2013, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
debil

Postby debil » August 3rd, 2013, 10:17 am

FretfulMother wrote:I yet have to see the point in yubnub (if i want to search in google, i open google and do my search, no?)

It removes that one step and hence makes you faster.

FretfulMother wrote:same is for rawsurf (you type something in a terminal, that opens a browser and a searchengine for you? huh?)

You mean surfraw? A few lines of bash + YubNub do the same thing and loads more.

For example:
Code: Select all
 #!/bin/bash

# Usage:
#
# Name the script how you prefer. This example uses "y" as a script's name.
#
# For example search with DuckDuckGo via your chosen GUI browser:
# $ y ddg death may be your santa claus
#
# Do the same but with text browser of your liking:
# $ y -c ddg death may be your santa claus
#
# Search YouTube:
# $ y yt death may be your santa claus
#
# Or list all Debian related yubnub commands:
# $ y ls debian
#
# Etc. etc.

set -e

# Change as you prefer:
CLIBROWSER='w3m'
GUIBROWSER='iceweasel'
TERMCMD='urxvtc -e '

if [ "$1" == "-c" ]; then
    shift
    SRCH_STR="$@"
    $CLIBROWSER http://yubnub.ktamas.com/parser/parse?command="$SRCH_STR"
    exit 0
else
    SRCH_STR="$@"
    $GUIBROWSER http://yubnub.ktamas.com/parser/parse?command="$SRCH_STR"
    exit 0
fi

FretfulMother wrote:Well, i don't use searchengines that much anyway, but mainly bookmarks.

You can do any foo you can with the URL, even bookmarks, not just searches.

FretfulMother wrote:This doesn't make it any better:
http://jonaquino.blogspot.dk/2005/06/yu ... -hour.html
and this:

But on a bigger scale, YubNub is the realization of a very big idea: the URL command line of the web OS.

make me thinks: "bugger of" and i call it a day.

Come on, people need to have dreams ;) Sure, it's a bit grandly said and pretty off the mark. However, it makes my life at the WWW a lot easier and that's what counts.
debil

Postby FretfulMother » August 3rd, 2013, 12:37 pm

I yet have to see the point in yubnub (if i want to search in google, i open google and do my search, no?)

How does it remove a step?
a) I open google and do a search.
b) i open yubnub to do a search, say on google.
If i am not wrong both are one step, and exactly one (or, if one considers opening a web-page a step, then both are two steps).

The problem was not the "a bit grandly", the problem was the webOS.

You can do any foo you can with the URL, even bookmarks, not just searches.

What that is supposed to mean is beyond me
(wait; you mean it like: you can either search or open a bookmark, not: hey ho, wow, you can do any foo you like with the url with yubnub?).

-
oh, btw: i am not against it in any way. just saying that i don't get it.
Perhaps i am too much focused to get away from the big (and spying) players instead of a different way to access them (and for more than just a year now, more or less fulltime).
FretfulMother

Postby debil » August 3rd, 2013, 1:58 pm

FretfulMother wrote:

How does it remove a step?
a) I open google and do a search.
b) i open yubnub to do a search, say on google.
If i am not wrong both are one step, and exactly one (or, if one considers opening a web-page a step, then both are two steps).

Yes, both examples above are one step. However, (one) point of this HOWTO is the integration of YubNub features into IW/Pentadactyl so that it eliminates that redundant step. To use YubNub via its own web UI kind of defeats the purpose, no?

FretfulMother wrote:The problem was not the "a bit grandly", the problem was the webOS.

What problem?

FretfulMother wrote:
debil wrote:You can do any foo you can with the URL, even bookmarks, not just searches.

What that is supposed to mean is beyond me

Whatever foo you can with URLs, PHP, Javascript etc. Some examples are found here.

FretfulMother wrote:(wait; you mean it like: you can either search or open a bookmark, not: hey ho, wow, you can do any foo you like with the url with yubnub?).

No, I meant you can use your imagination and figure out what things can/could be done with it. If it's just bookmarks and searches you can come up with, that's OK too.

FretfulMother wrote:oh, btw: i am not against it in any way. just saying that i don't get it.

Yup, I get the point. My main reason to use it is that I can eliminate "that one step" and if needed create new stuff I may or may not be in need of.

FretfulMother wrote:Perhaps i am too much focused to get away from the big (and spying) players instead of a different way to access them (and for more than just a year now, more or less fulltime).

You don't have to use the big players' services, even via YubNub.
debil

Postby FretfulMother » August 3rd, 2013, 6:34 pm

one) point of this HOWTO is the integration of YubNub features into IW/Pentadactyl so that it eliminates that redundant step.

Duh, now i feel stupid. Yes, i completely forgot about it being embedded into a (bigger) how-to.

The URL foo. Mhh... i think it is above me. The only thing i ran into yet is sql-injection (which, to me, looked pretty much like chinese. What i remember is that saying 1 is 1, or 1 is not 2, is always a good idea. Learn all that to only get in prison, or a bad paid pentester? Mhhh... rather not. :-) ).

Let me look deeper at yubnub whenever i got the time (probably winter ....). It is slightly more clear to me now.
L
FretfulMother

Postby debil » August 3rd, 2013, 9:13 pm

I guess I could improve the HOWTO on that part a bit. It's not exactly clear what the benefits are with the YubNub search plugin.
debil

Postby polaris96 » November 30th, 2013, 2:33 pm

Thanks debil. As always, your advice is concise and directly useful. I've been wanting to improve my CLI driven browsing for awhile

..But then I freaked! OMG this is too deep and SOOOOO '84! So I grabbed my mouse to click away...and...omg! Oh No! I'm in awesome and there's no mouse attached! what can I do? help! i'm typing and I can't click off!!!!
for as long as the world remains. for as long as time remains. so, too, will I remain. To serve. To help. And to make my contribution. Also please visit old friends at forums.debian.net
polaris96

Next

Return to HowTo Discussion