segfault

Get your foo on.

Re: segfault

Postby nodir » November 19th, 2018, 6:16 am

I have got to say that i have to stop investigating this (for now). It simply is above me.
If i get an error message, i got something to search the web for, to grep in the source directory, etc (still difficult enough for me, and often enough i find no solution).
The simple fact is that i got no clue of libraries (very slowly i run into a few, and in where they are located ... but that's it).

I ran in a second gui program which segfaults. It is alsaplayer, the recipe was kindly given to me by kelsoo.
At least here i get a bit of an error message, but i couldn't find a solution anyway:
Code: Select all
(alsaplayer:3824): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 08:04:10.999: IA__gtk_list_store_set_valist: assertion 'VALID_ITER (iter, list_store)' failed
Error relocating /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1: _ITM_deregisterTMCloneTable: initial-exec TLS resolves to dynamic definition in /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
The library is there, so there is a different problem, i assume.
From what i understood it didn't segfault for kelsoo, so i probably broke something somewhere.

So far, so bad. The good news is that kelsoo also build a couple of "codecs" these days, so i now have got "sound", that is: i can play music with mocp (something is wrong with the recipe, the default theme is useless, but, that is my only point, i now have got music. Yee-Haw !).
If i will also be able to build a "modern" terminal-emulator, i should be sorted for my needs (that is quite a clusterfuck, you would assume a terminal emulator is straight-forward, but jesus, that is quite a dependency chain. like: vte-based-terminal-emulator -> vte -> gtkdocize -> docbook-xml). Else it's xterm or st. urgh ...
screen would be nice, but i guess i can get used to tmux too (which is already there).

This last comment of me mainly was a bit of chat. Some things work, some things fail, most things are beyond me. In general it is fun though.
nodir

Postby nodir » November 19th, 2018, 6:19 am

ups, forgot that: thanks for the input.
if you got more, give me more.
Just saying that i lost hope for this particular applications ( transmission and alsaplayer).
nodir

Postby golinux » November 19th, 2018, 7:25 am

You've probably already done this but just in case. Maybe there are clues there. Maybe not. I'm off to bed.

$ apt-cache depends transmission
transmission
  Depends: transmission-common
 |Depends: transmission-gtk
 |Depends: transmission-qt
  Depends: transmission-cli

$ apt-cache depends alsaplayer-gtk
alsaplayer-gtk
  Depends: libatk1.0-0
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcairo2
  Depends: libfontconfig1
  Depends: libfreetype6
  Depends: libgcc1
  Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
 |Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx
  Depends: <libgl1>
    libgl1-mesa-swx11
    libgl1-mesa-glx
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgtk2.0-0
  Depends: libpango-1.0-0
  Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0
  Depends: libpangoft2-1.0-0
  Depends: libstdc++6
  Recommends: alsaplayer-common
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby nodir » November 19th, 2018, 7:59 am

[/quote]You've probably already done this[/quote]
You have got no idea how "raw" my approach ist. I just start somewhere, and let the errors lead me.
Most of the time ./configure tells me which depends are missing (but sometimes not, it seems. I am not sure. My assumption is that this check is one of the main ideas behind "configure" ... mhh ... ).
But what is worse: Different distros seem to have different dependencies. So sometimes even taking them as a template doesn't work (most of the times it does works though, at least in general).
Without fully checking it right now, most of the deps sound familiar though (transmission seems easy, for alsaplayer it is quite a list).

Earlier i build xournal, and it ran through configure fine, but failed when running make. A dependency was missing (and even one i had compiled already. Only: i seem to have forgotten to also install it :-) ).

To make a long story short: Good idea.
nodir

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » November 19th, 2018, 11:06 am

For an audio player I recommend Aqualung. It is much lighter than most players (and therefore less to install or compile) but can still rip CDs.

Transmission only has a few dependencies, at least with OpenBSD. If Linux has more it would not be much. I do not compile anything from source, but if I did I would try to find a list of dependencies from either the distribution's website or the project's. In this case https://github.com/transmission/transmission.

https://transmissionbt.com/ also has a link to IRC. Since I only install binary packages I do not know how helpful the github site is, but it might be worth a look.
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » November 19th, 2018, 11:31 am

It might be worth trying to build with the qt front end, if you haven't tried that already. If it still segfaults, then it was probably not toolkit related.
cynwulf

Postby nodir » November 19th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
Transmission only has a few dependencies, at least with OpenBSD. If Linux has more it would not be much. I do not compile anything from source, but if I did I would try to find a list of dependencies from either the distribution's website or the project's. In this case https://github.com/transmission/transmission.

Some projects are completely insane: They simply put such info in the INSTALL or the README file (others don't even bother with such useless files at all).
But as said: most of the time you get away with the configure script. It errors with what it can't find on the system, you install it and are ready to go.
Lots of times i get away with the deps listed at slackbuilds and or linux from scratch.

Another nice thing is quite some programs don't offer a $program-$version.tar.gz, which is way too easy to handle, but a master.zip, a $version.tar.gz, a $program_$version.tar.gz , a $program-1_0_4.tar.gz, and then unpack it as something completely unrelated. Big fun too.
And i could easily go on with more examples where leaving the well known standards results in hours and hours of pointless searching and fiddling to get stuff sorted (which could be very easy, straightforward in a few secons, with the standards).

-
To play music i use mocp these days, but i've used xmms2 for quite some years. I think both use ca 20 MB of RAM (which is more than all the *123 players, but they can be put in the background more easily, hence i stick to them. To rip music i used abcde, i think a simple perl script but i didn't do it in years. Which makes me think of pacpl to convert audio-files, also a perl script, i think).
aqualung i remember well though. audacious too.
I will keep aqualung in mind. Perhaps i will give it a try these days. Thanks.
Last edited by nodir on November 19th, 2018, 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nodir

Postby nodir » November 19th, 2018, 12:25 pm

cynwulf wrote:It might be worth trying to build with the qt front end, if you haven't tried that already. If it still segfaults, then it was probably not toolkit related.

In general a good idea, but i doubt that dragora comes with qt (i am rather sure). So i would have to do way too much work in advance.
The cli version works, btw.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » November 19th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Yes, I agree. Not to mention that building qt would take forever...
cynwulf

Postby nodir » November 19th, 2018, 12:45 pm

i downloaded the tar.gz of aqualung, unpacked, ran ./configure and make in a chroot, and i can start it without a segfault
(not sound yet, but i didn't look at any configure options, i don't even think any codecs are installed in this chroot, i only wanted a quick test. Took me like? less than 5 minutes, rather 3. Cool tip/idea).
I will have at it with a dragora recipe asap.If kelsoo complains i will have to give him the whip ...

nice and easy. good, good.

---
PS: i couldn't resist. I got a bit of problems with opening mp3 files, but ogg sure works. To test more i am too tired now.
That was from tip to recipe 20-30 minutes at max (including a test build in chroot). Bit more of back and forth checking and editing tomorrow, and there is a nice gui music player.
Great. Thanks again.
https://notabug.org/n4dir/Qi-Recipes/sr ... ung/recipe
(don't get me wrong. This is really copy and paste. edit homepage, download, etc, but that's about it. Hence: nice and easy)
nodir

PreviousNext

Return to Programming