...to make coding accessible to everyone

Get your foo on.

...to make coding accessible to everyone

Postby fig1 » September 17th, 2015, 11:32 am

while the stuff i was doing with debian was on hold, i took some time to write a programming language. its a simple language with a translator written in python2. this lets it have inline python as a feature.

in 1963, john kemeny set out to make programming something anyone could do, by creating a language called basic. in the past few years ive made a pilgrimage to the very spot basic first went online. i would like programming to be something anyone can learn.

today, basic is not as popular as python. python is also not as easy for everyone as basic, and since 1967 basic has been competing with logo for ease of use. logo (or at least turtle graphics) is limited in the kinds of programs that can be written. so i decided to combine logo, basic and python into a language for teaching:

Code: Select all
1. variables
2. input
3. output
4. simple math
5. conditionals
6. loops
7. functions

i cover all of these in a 45-minute presentation aimed at non-coders.

there are plenty of classes and tutorials for people that want to take a class or read a tutorial. but most people are not going to do either.

so ive been working on everybody else. you know that look people get when you talk about computers? right, that look. thats what ive been working on.

here are the things that make the language easier to teach than python:

* its not case sensitive
* indentation is ignored (except for inline python)
* < 100 commands, no need to import libraries

the things that make the language easier than basic:

* pythons variants
* no mandatory punctuation except:
* "quotes for strings" # hashes for comments

here is a sample:
v = "find | grep tar.xz" ; arrshell
forin eachline v
t = eachline | print
next

this works too:
v = "find | grep tar.xz" : arrshell
forin (eachline, v)
t = eachline : print
next

and:
v  "find | grep tar.xz"  arrshell
forin  eachline  v
t  eachline  print
next

this language lends itself to index cards and fridge poetry more than most modern programming languages.

it was developed on debian and devuan systems.
Last edited by fig1 on September 20th, 2015, 7:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fig1

Re: ...to make coding accessible to everyone

Postby nauved » September 19th, 2015, 3:29 pm

You have a PM.
May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Postby fig1 » September 20th, 2015, 12:11 am

theres a guy on #devuan irc looking for a post on the gnome mailing list about integrating systemd.

its the part where lp asks gnome if they could make it a requirement of gnome 3.2 and i first read about it on the debian or devuan ml, possibly posted by steve litt (possibly someone else.)

anyway, this is the post: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop ... 00427.html

i went to pm hoping to let you know, since youre in irc sometimes. do with it what you will; nothing if you like.
fig1

Postby nauved » September 20th, 2015, 12:42 am

The Gnome discussion started earlier this afternoon not on #devuan but on #debianfork IIRC.. The Gnome systemd dependency thing is old news, That post is from 2011. There are some disinfected Gnome packages in the devuan repos. You can find them here. I'm surprised that anyone gives a rat's ass about Gnome desktop anymore . . .
nauved

Postby fig1 » September 20th, 2015, 1:47 am

nauved wrote:The Gnome discussion started earlier this afternoon not on #devuan but on #debianfork IIRC..

i havent visisted #debianfork in half a year, though that would have been the right channel for it. i saw the question asked here: https://botbot.me/freenode/devuan/2015-09-19/

The Gnome systemd dependency thing is old news, That post is from 2011.

true enough, although i didnt hear about it until november of last year or so. i mean, the implications (as imagined or as realized) were much more interesting when they seemed like it might be the point where debian started to really go up the creek in terms of decision making.

I'm surprised that anyone gives a rat's ass about Gnome desktop anymore . . .

years ago they stopped caring about actual users and only cared about their designers. these days its not about the desktop, but tying users to infrastructure exactly the way systemd does.

like several people on the ml, i enjoy the stripped down, non-resource-using icewm personally.

i install things like xfce and lxde for "users" and they work very acceptably on vista-era and even some xp-era equipment. i installed debian wheezy (lxde and icewm) on an old win98 laptop with only 1 tenth of a gig of ram. its... usable, but youre better off surfing with elinks at that point.

trying to use less than half a gig is pretty silly (for most purposes) these days. installing gnome desktop is even sillier, but i can understand the appeal of mate at least.
fig1

Postby nauved » September 20th, 2015, 2:01 pm

I'm always up for systemd bashing. ;)
nauved

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » September 20th, 2015, 10:59 pm

I thought you were an ardent systemd supporter. :lol:
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nauved » September 20th, 2015, 11:50 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:I thought you were an ardent systemd supporter. :lol:

Oh, you randy cuss! :P
nauved

Postby fig1 » September 21st, 2015, 2:12 am

ive set up the old gilded-turd avatar since the bashing is still in fashion.

dont get me wrong, the sentiment is sincere. ive decided to tolerate libsystemd until they finish extracting it from devuan. i think it takes a while because theyre using carl sagans apple pie recipe. (debians approach is no better: before they revise the universe, they have to let a bunch of corporations and competing distros vote on the flavor.)

ive still got a few machines running debian wheezy, but even some of those use the devuan repos instead.

i use devuan jessie a lot, but today ive been testing devuan ascii. libreoffice starts a little bit slower but is otherwise an improvement. linux kernel 4.x! my first time with 4.x i think; and thats on devuan.
fig1

Postby nauved » September 21st, 2015, 1:05 pm

fig1 wrote:ive set up the old gilded-turd avatar since the bashing is still in fashion.

And I have a marvelous 'block image' feature on AdBlock Plus. ;)
nauved

Return to Programming