Thunar and XFCE 4.8

Post your Debian questions here.

Thunar and XFCE 4.8

Postby mharrison » May 24th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Since XFCE 4.8 made it into testing, I have been waiting to see the native network browsing in Thunar, but I have yet to find out how to do it. For those of you who use XFCE, am I missing something here? I've done several fresh installs of the latest testing image and still don't see it.
cynwulf wrote:Ubuntu, Debian for thick people who can't register at the Debian forums
mharrison

Re: Thunar and XFCE 4.8

Postby nadir » May 24th, 2011, 3:50 pm

I can't find it neither. I did not look very hard.
Code: Select all
$ apt-cache policy thunar
thunar:
  Installed: 1.2.1-6

... but then: i ain't got the goodies installed.
* GIO/GVfs frontend to manage connections to remote filesystems (gigolo)
Whatever that might be.
nadir

Postby cynwulf » May 24th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Ah... I haven't got the goodies installed either this time around... gigolo may have a lot to do with it. If you have recommends and suggest disabled you do have to look more closely at those things.

//edit installed gigolo and xfce4-goodies last night but didn't see any difference, not sure what I'm doing/looking for/supposed to be doing or whether I actually need a "network" with some shares available though? As I understand it a network icon thing appears in the left browser pane when it's working?
cynwulf

Postby Anzhr » May 26th, 2011, 9:16 am

Well, Network is right there in my side panel. Following Home, Desktop, Trash, File System.

Works just as in Nautilus but shares are mounted as quickly as I click on them unless the disk needs to wake up in which case it's a few seconds.
Anzhr

Thunar and XFCE 4.8

Postby mharrison » May 26th, 2011, 10:24 am

Anzhr wrote:Well, Network is right there in my side panel. Following Home, Desktop, Trash, File System.

Works just as in Nautilus but shares are mounted as quickly as I click on them unless the disk needs to wake up in which case it's a few seconds.

Hmm..are you running testing or sid?

In testing do not have that option
cynwulf wrote:Ubuntu, Debian for thick people who can't register at the Debian forums
mharrison

Postby cynwulf » May 26th, 2011, 11:23 am

Well I'm running Sid and it's not there, but as I said I'm pretty clueless about this... so I probably haven't even got the fundamentals installed.
cynwulf

Postby mharrison » May 26th, 2011, 4:48 pm

In looking at the testing changes, it looks like they are breaking apart XFCE big time. It appears that the xfce4-goodies package is gone, with certain parts removed and other parts being left as single packages, like xfce4-screenshooter, which must now be manually installed after a default XFCE install.

Makes me feel a bit sorry for all of those people running XFCE on stable, at least those who like to run stable at all times, in a few years when Wheezy goes Stable. Assuming of course this is just part of the process with Sid and Testing....Honestly could be the answer...This, as I have said before, is the longest I have run testing regularly.
mharrison

Postby mharrison » May 27th, 2011, 2:15 am

GOT IT!!!!

aptitude install --without-recommends gvfs-backend gvfs-bin gvfs-fuse

dpkg-reconfigure thunar

Reboot

The network icon is now visible and working in Thunar!
mharrison

Postby Anzhr » May 28th, 2011, 12:51 pm

Great, mharrison.

By the way, I'm running Xfce on Testing.
Anzhr

Return to General Questions