Left and right Shift/Ctrl keys send different signals

Post your Debian questions here.

Left and right Shift/Ctrl keys send different signals

Postby dbbolton » March 29th, 2011, 7:58 pm

The title pretty much says all I know about this issue. I'm using an older AT keyboard with a PS/2 adapter. The left Shift and Ctrl keys don't behave as expected. They act as if they aren't pressed-- e.g. Shift+a puts 'a' instead of 'A'.

I suspect there may be a mechanical problem (since it's a pretty old piece of hardware) but I'm really not sure how to test that hypothesis.
<nadir> i am the king of wobbly windows

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Re: Left and right Shift/Ctrl keys send different signals

Postby JohnDeere630 » March 29th, 2011, 8:02 pm

I would agree that it is most likely a mechanical issue. Just slap on another keyboard & see if the problem goes away. I have about 50 sitting around...wish I could let you use one
We scare because we care.....
JohnDeere630

Postby Beewolf » March 29th, 2011, 10:51 pm

I know that the two control keys are expected to be differentiable, so the fault might not be the keyboard - though I'd recommend a replacement on generally principle.
Llewellyn H. Rockwell Jr. wrote:Data points on their own convey no theory, suggest no conclusions, and offer no truths. To arrive at truth requires the most important step that we as human beings can ever take: thinking. Through this thinking, and with good teaching and reading, we can put together a coherent theoretical apparatus that helps us understand.
Beewolf

Postby dbbolton » March 31st, 2011, 10:53 pm

Don't get me wrong-- I would love a new keyboard, but this old thing is the only one I've got with mechanical switches (it's super clicky), and Das Keyboard is just a bit out of my price range.

I've noticed that when I press those keys very lightly they seem to work as expected, so now I'm pretty much positive that it's a mechanical issue. Perhaps a thorough cleaning is in order.

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Postby mojoman » April 2nd, 2011, 4:13 pm

Well, what does xev tell you? Does it react at all on the left side key, and if so, does it differ from the right side key?
Seriously, Stable is for senior citizens and Sid is for kids. Be a man and run Testing.
mojoman

Postby dbbolton » April 2nd, 2011, 10:07 pm

mojoman wrote:Well, what does xev tell you? Does it react at all on the left side key, and if so, does it differ from the right side key?

It's off and on. The key seems to work when I only slightly press down on it, which seems strange. Usually I rely on percussive electronic techniques to fix things (i.e., beat the hell out of it).

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Postby mojoman » April 3rd, 2011, 7:06 am

I take it then that xev shows you identical terminal output for the left and right button, at least when you press it lightly?
Seriously, Stable is for senior citizens and Sid is for kids. Be a man and run Testing.
mojoman

Return to General Questions