URxvt scrolling

Use this forum for questions related to graphics, sound or desktop environments.

URxvt scrolling

Postby dbbolton » March 14th, 2011, 10:01 pm

According to the urxvt man page (copied directly)
Code: Select all
        scrollWithBuffer: boolean
            True: scroll with scrollback buffer when tty receives new lines (and
            scrollTtyOutput is False); option -sw. False: do not scroll with scrollback
            buffer when tty receives new lines; option +sw.
...skipping...
        Scroll down with Button1 (xterm-scrollbar) or Shift-Next.  Scroll up with Button3
        (xterm-scrollbar) or Shift-Prior.  Continuous scroll with Button2.

MOUSE REPORTING
        To temporarily override mouse reporting, for either the scrollbar or the normal text
        selection/insertion, hold either the Shift or the Meta (Alt) key while performing
        the desired mouse action.

If mouse reporting mode is active, the normal scrollbar actions are disabled -- on
        the assumption that we are using a fullscreen application. Instead, pressing Button1
        Scroll down with Button1 (xterm-scrollbar) or Shift-Next.  Scroll up with Button3
        (xterm-scrollbar) or Shift-Prior.  Continuous scroll with Button2.

MOUSE REPORTING
        To temporarily override mouse reporting, for either the scrollbar or the normal text
        selection/insertion, hold either the Shift or the Meta (Alt) key while performing
        the desired mouse action.

If mouse reporting mode is active, the normal scrollbar actions are disabled -- on
        the assumption that we are using a fullscreen application. Instead, pressing Button1
        and Button3 sends ESC [ 6 ~ (Next) and ESC [ 5 ~ (Prior), respectively. Similarly,
        clicking on the up and down arrows sends ESC [ A (Up) and ESC [ B (Down),
        respectively.

So what the hell is 'Next' or 'Prior'? Is it possible to scroll back without using the mouse?
<nadir> i am the king of wobbly windows

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Re: URxvt scrolling

Postby fsmithred » March 15th, 2011, 4:32 am

Just a guess here, but I would try shift-pgup and shift-pgdown, just like when you're in a console. If that didn't work, I'd try shift with arrow keys.
fsmithred

Postby dbbolton » March 15th, 2011, 10:16 pm

fsmithred wrote:Just a guess here, but I would try shift-pgup and shift-pgdown, just like when you're in a console. If that didn't work, I'd try shift with arrow keys.

1. Already tried it, didn't work.
2. Shift+arrows is used by the tabbed extension to create/navigate the tabs.

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Postby uua80 » March 18th, 2011, 5:37 pm

I never could figure out how to scroll in urxvt, and I couldn't copy/paste terminal output to Google if I had a problem. I ended up switching to LXTerminal.
uua80

Postby smallchange » March 18th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Shift-Pg Up and Shift-Pg Down scroll for me in urxvt. I don't think I have modified anything that would affect this. I am running sid.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
smallchange

Postby dbbolton » March 18th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Shift+PgUp just prints ^[[5;2~ and Shift+PgDown prints ^[[6;2~. At first I thought this had to do with my keymaps in zsh, but I got the exact same result in bash and dash.

In case it matters:
.Xdefaults
zshrc

I don't have a custom inputrc.

Shift+PgUp does scroll up in Xterm, so I'm guessing it is a URxvt issue.

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Postby jheaton5 » March 18th, 2011, 7:30 pm

dbbolton wrote:Shift+PgUp just prints ^[[5;2~ and Shift+PgDown prints ^[[6;2~. At first I thought this had to do with my keymaps in zsh, but I got the exact same result in bash and dash.

In case it matters:
.Xdefaults
zshrc

I don't have a custom inputrc.

Shift+PgUp does scroll up in Xterm, so I'm guessing it is a URxvt issue.

I get that when my numlock is off. It works when numlock is on.
desktop: debian Sid / debian kernel 3.16-3 / Gnome
jheaton5

Postby smallchange » March 18th, 2011, 8:16 pm

The similarity between your problem and lines 6 and 7 in Xdefaults makes me think you should comment those lines.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
smallchange

Postby dbbolton » March 18th, 2011, 10:57 pm

You were right, but I' m not sure why. I thought that should have bound the key combo to the right function.

The keybindings on my desktop are even more fucked up. There is an 'F-lock' key that switches the F keys between their normal signal and some 'special' functions, but it also toggles one key between Insert and PrtSc, which I think is ridiculous. Leave it to logitech.

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Postby dbbolton » March 19th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Here's a related question: is there a way to 'lock' scrolling when new lines are actively being printed? Example: make-ing a package spits out a lot of text, and when I scroll up, I'm taken back to the bottom as soon as another line is printed. I'm not sure whether this is a shell thing or a term thing. Unfortunately, the scroll lock key does not do the job.

RDU since 2007
dbbolton

Next

Return to Desktop & Multimedia