runit

Post your Debian questions here.

Re: runit

Postby namibed » October 27th, 2018, 2:06 pm

nodir wrote:And namibed is an authority when it comes to the technical level of a forum?

no, i'm not.
but i'm familiar with both the forums and the distro.

bunsenlabs started off as a community continuation of crunchbang, with the laudable approach of staying as close to vanilla debian as possible (no binary packages for example).
since the term "distro" isn't very well defined, it's debatable whether bunsenlabs were one or not.
"were", because they have since moved away from that approach. there's a few binary packages now, mostly tint2 iirc.

just like crunchbang forums, bunsenlabs forums are very inclusive and there's a lot of non-technical and cross-distro conversation there.
i've known the residents for many years and still like to hang out there although i don't use the distro anymore.
i used crunchbang as my main distro for a while, in my early days, after turning away from ubuntu.

and btw, i'm not playing devil's advocate here because a few months ago HoaS left the bunsenlabs team.
interestingly they also stopped posting to the forums, from 100 to 0 just like that, because of "time commitments" and haven't started again since (although they obviously seem to have too much free time at their hand).
i don't know what happened there, but apparently something else than just "lack of time".
incidentally, i called HoaS out on their behavior a little before that. things having developed as they now did, plainly to see for everyone, i do feel a little clairevoyant...
namibed

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 27th, 2018, 2:34 pm

nodir wrote:And namibed is an authority when it comes to the technical level of a forum?
Didn't know that yet.

Probably there was a hidden forum-section, as what i have seen sure was crap.

I made no comment as to the quality level and anyway I do not consider myself qualified to judge.

nodir wrote:Not that sure what is there to configure when it comes to a desktop. I just leave it as is.

As I said, it was mainly intended for newcomers or people with no time on their hands and there was quite a lot of configuration offered (IMO).

namibed wrote:interestingly they also stopped posting to the forums, from 100 to 0 just like that, because of "time commitments" and haven't started again since (although they obviously seem to have too much free time at their hand).
i don't know what happened there, but apparently something else than just "lack of time".

The only person to whom I gave a reason for stopping working with BunsenLabs was johnraff and I told him that the commitments were interfering with my family life and since you are so curious I can tell you now that was not because of time constraints (I have *lots* of free time, thank you) but because the stress of pretending not to be a total cunt was playing on me. There are also the facts that I never actually used BL myself (I prefer vanilla Debian), I disapproved of their stance in respect of free software (and display managers but I fixed that) and also that I considered myself to be vastly underqualified for the position and I was sure other people could do better.

And yes, you figured that out before me and I should probably thank you for precipitating my withdrawl from the BunsenLabs project, I do believe it was your linked post over at fdn that opened my eyes.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 27th, 2018, 2:36 pm

the look and feel of openbox was indeed good.
But then: which distro does not look good, compared with debian ?
nodir

Postby namibed » October 28th, 2018, 8:59 am

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The only person to whom I gave a reason for stopping working with BunsenLabs was johnraff and I told him that the commitments were interfering with my family life and since you are so curious I can tell you now that was not because of time constraints (I have *lots* of free time, thank you) but because the stress of pretending not to be a total cunt was playing on me. There are also the facts that I never actually used BL myself (I prefer vanilla Debian), I disapproved of their stance in respect of free software (and display managers but I fixed that) and also that I considered myself to be vastly underqualified for the position and I was sure other people could do better.

And yes, you figured that out before me and I should probably thank you for precipitating my withdrawl from the BunsenLabs project, I do believe it was your linked post over at fdn that opened my eyes.

well, that does stroke my ego a little. but i also appreciate the honesty.
fwiw, i think what you're doing now is somehow more of the same, just the opposite. you're stressing yourself out trying to show everyone what an unfettered front hole (read: cunt) or "online activist" (read: troll) you are.
during the last week or so it just seems more and more forced.
why not just be yourself?
namibed

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 28th, 2018, 9:26 am

namibed wrote:fwiw, i think what you're doing now is somehow more of the same, just the opposite. you're stressing yourself out trying to show everyone what an unfettered front hole (read: cunt) or "online activist" (read: troll) you are.
during the last week or so it just seems more and more forced.
why not just be yourself?

FWIW, this is the "real" me and the reason it sounds forced is probably because I dislike interacting with people generally, hence my preference for the technical sections of most forums.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 28th, 2018, 10:38 am

Leave your ego at the door.
That is always a good advice, but not easy to follow.

A break never hurts.
Hanging out with people way beyond the own level of knowledge or skills helps a bunch too.

-
To put it different:
"Who is the best skater?
The one who has the most fun."
(We are skateboarders, great docu in general. iirc Lance Mountain has his say too, and that is a dude which, imho, has exactly the right approach. At least when it comes to that thing called "ego").

-
Just chatting.
That is really your choice.
But you sure are announcing your leetness in a very annyoing way.
If that is what you consider fun, being considered a geek at a forum for idiots, forums debian, then fine. Nothing wrong with it.
nodir

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 28th, 2018, 10:49 am

^ That is some fantastic advice, thank you, I will try to take that on board.
nodir wrote:But you sure are announcing your leetness in a very annyoing way.

Yes, I know :D

nodir wrote:If that is what you consider fun, being considered a geek at a forum for idiots, forums debian

No, I consider the puzzle of the troubleshooting to be the "fun" bit — there is nothing that satisfies me more than a well-earned [SOLVED] in a thread with a tricky problem (not that it happens much but it's nice when it does).

I don't think anybody considers me a "geek" particularly, I certainly make enough silly mistakes to dispel that misapprehension (IMO).
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 28th, 2018, 11:18 am

If you like such stuff:
There is a youtube channel: Ian Sinclair, relax harder (as the search term, no idea what's the name of the channel).
After watching one of his videos i am always in a good mood. Such a friendly guy.
nodir

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 28th, 2018, 1:10 pm

nodir wrote:Ian Sinclair, relax harder

Oooh, Tai Chi, nice!

I used to go to Aikido classes before I moved to London and that used to help, perhaps I should try that again.

As it happens I find riding a motorcycle to be totally relaxing, the extreme concentration required for safe riding engenders a trance-like state of calm coupled with ultra-alertness — my heart rate doesn't even blip these days when other road users pull out on me — psychologists call this state flow :geek:
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby cynwulf » October 28th, 2018, 11:36 pm

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:the stress of pretending not to be a total cunt was playing on me.

Obviously...
namibed wrote:why not just be yourself?

+1

Well, it might be that he is... and by his own admission no less.
cynwulf

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions