runit

Post your Debian questions here.

Re: runit

Postby nodir » October 26th, 2018, 10:37 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
As I understand it this "Bunsenlabs" thing is the continuation of the old "crunchbang" Linux? Which as I recall was some kind of Debian installation with a different branding/theme/default window manager?
If I remember correctly, Crunchbang was Debian with Openbox and Conky.

Slow now, iirc it
also added as much non-free as possible
flooted forums.debian.net with experts, which wanted to give back

Did i mention that i was a refracta developer?
That is: i downloaded the new iso and/or the new installer, hit the enter key a few times and than confirmed with "works, as usual".
Dean called me his guinea pig, but i guess developer sounds better. Assuming i would want to sell something.
Ah, the good old days, when fun was fun.

btw: iirc Dean was the very first who a) figured out how to create a live-CD from a running debian system via live-buid, b) how to configure that system via chroot and x-host (what systemd tries to sell us as a new feature, btw) and c) how to make it installable.
He never made no fuzz about it. Never, ever. Not a single time.
(same goes for the actual, if you want, developer, of refracta, btw. ...).
nodir

Postby cynwulf » October 26th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:If I remember correctly, Crunchbang was Debian with Openbox and Conky.

I now remember it and the forums... a massive fanboi circle jerk of noise and very little signal. Occasionally you'd run into it during a web search and would be sent scrabbling for the back button... it was one of the those sites where a few posts into every thread, someone would inevitably chip in that they were now running Arch Linux and how it "felt" faster...
nodir wrote:also added as much non-free as possible
flooted forums.debian.net with experts, which wanted to give back

That seems to sum it up... also reminds me of about 10 years ago when 'buntu and then mint users turned up and started telling everyone how to run Debian... it applies to any of these derivatives, consisting of a logo and some wallpapers and their avid fans.
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » October 26th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Mayhap I should market my OpenBSD with i3, Midnight Commander, Ranger and Aqualung as a "distribution" and proclaim myself the disto maintainer. I could put it in my forum signatures and look important. :D
And be laughed off Daemon Forum and DUF. :lol:
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » October 26th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Definitely. But go the -misc mailing list and announce yourself as "lead developer" there as well...

Call it Randicus BSD at first, then rename it to RandicOS a year or so later - and ensure you make a very big deal about the whole thing and write a detailed blog, going into the deep and spiritual meaning and why the new name better reflects the project, it's goals, the personal journey, etc...
cynwulf

Postby JohnDeere630 » October 26th, 2018, 6:00 pm

cynwulf wrote:Definitely. But go the -misc mailing list and announce yourself as "lead developer" there as well...

Call it Randicus BSD at first, then rename it to RandicOS a year or so later - and ensure you make a very big deal about the whole thing and write a detailed blog, going into the deep and spiritual meaning and why the new name better reflects the project, it's goals, the personal journey, etc...

:lol: Also, don't forget to implement a CoC and a "Technical Advisory Board" to administer the peine forte et dure to any cis white male that offends some professional victim, ie; "minority", by not kissing their arse loudly enough.

Insults, and attacks, up to, and including, physical beating and maiming are, of course, not only allowed, but encouraged against any evil, selfish, straight white males so foolish as to think it's about the code.

Heck, I bet Head-on-a-stick would be available to don his butt-less leather chaps and rainbow T-shirt, hop on his trusty moped that has had the seat removed and replaced by a broom handle, and deliver a personal ass-whooping to any offending party.....provided they live within London. :mrgreen:

Speaking of the devil, I haven't heard from the little guy for awhile. Doubtlessly he is busy "developing" software, and by that I mean royally borking his computer and filing bug reports..... :roll:
$500 bounty paid for each pair of SJW balls...also for hen's teeth, unicorn horns and other imaginary items.
JohnDeere630

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 26th, 2018, 6:56 pm

cynwulf wrote:
I am one of the BunsenLabs developers, the distribution is a theming
and configuration set
applied to a Debian base.

I'm somewhat confused as to how someone who installs some window manager, applies some themes and configuration and/or applies different branding, could regard themselves as a software "developer"...?

Yes, I quite agree, my efforts over at BunsenLabs amounted to a few lines in a few configuration files and that's it but the team were kind enough to name me as one of them and I was honoured to accept the label, even if I felt I never deserved it.

cynwulf wrote:As I understand it this "Bunsenlabs" thing is the continuation of the old "crunchbang" Linux? Which as I recall was some kind of Debian installation with a different branding/theme/default window manager?

Yes, that's right, the idea is to provide the newcomer to GNU/Linux with a simple, low overhead desktop based on Debian stable.

Debian can be tricky to set up from scratch for non-experts and the distribution was very well received, the donations were certainly surprisingly generous.

I would like to think that #! offered something for more experienced users as well because not everybody can be bothered spending hours configuring their desktop.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 26th, 2018, 7:58 pm

nodir wrote:also added as much non-free as possible

Well, yes and no :)

The only non-free packages required by most users were the firmware and microcode, the only other non-free software in #! was {un,}rar, IIRC.

Firmware is a common stumbling block for many Debian n00bs and it can be argued that Debian's stance is too extreme — after all, even hardware that runs well with just the main Debian repositories will have had non-free firmware embedded in the components at the point of production.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 26th, 2018, 8:00 pm

JohnDeere630 wrote:Heck, I bet Head-on-a-stick would be available to don his butt-less leather chaps and rainbow T-shirt, hop on his trusty moped that has had the seat removed and replaced by a broom handle, and deliver a personal ass-whooping to any offending party

Please stop, lover boy, you're really turning me on *blows kiss*
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 26th, 2018, 8:22 pm

cynwulf wrote:
Randicus Draco Albus wrote:If I remember correctly, Crunchbang was Debian with Openbox and Conky.

I now remember it and the forums... a massive fanboi circle jerk of noise and very little signal.

Sorry, I have to come back on this one...

Yes, there was a lot of chat at the #! forums but there was also a *very* active technical section, just ask @namibed, he was also posting on those boards.
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 27th, 2018, 4:02 am

And namibed is an authority when it comes to the technical level of a forum?
Didn't know that yet.

Probably there was a hidden forum-section, as what i have seen sure was crap.

Not that sure what is there to configure when it comes to a desktop. I just leave it as is.
nodir

PreviousNext

Return to General Questions