Cannot compile kernel  Topic is solved

Post your Debian questions here.

Re: Cannot compile kernel

Postby pinas » July 18th, 2018, 2:48 pm

cynwulf wrote:Same issue. Your /home was 91% full when you posted last, it's now 100% full.

pinas wrote:
Code: Select all
/dev/sda6       138G  118G   13G  91% /home

So in view of this, yes it does seem feasible that you've managed to fill a 138GB partition.

In the short term, you need to free up space. X won't start because there is insufficient space in /home/whatever-user and / to write session files, logs, create log files, etc, etc. Programmes generally don't run if there's no disk space.

Also your / was actually quite small considering you've no separate /usr partition... so as you install stuff, it fills up and / was about 64% when you posted last time...

Is there a way now to free up space in / ? just for short term, until I buy a extra HDD for backup-ing things
cynwulf wrote:The bottom line is, that whatever manual partitioning schema you've attempted - it isn't fit for purpose. Back up your files, reinstall and partition to allow sufficient space next time.

Where I can read a good manual/guide of partitioning schema
pinas

Postby cynwulf » July 18th, 2018, 4:15 pm

I can't really suggest anything, as I've no idea what this box is used for. Have a look at what packages you have installed, see if you need them all and remove whatever you don't... then fire up your favourite browser and search engine and start searching.
cynwulf

Postby pinas » July 18th, 2018, 5:10 pm

cynwulf wrote:I can't really suggest anything, as I've no idea what this box is used for. Have a look at what packages you have installed, see if you need them all and remove whatever you don't... then fire up your favourite browser and search engine and start searching.

It's Desktop PC. When I installed this I used a guide/manual about system partitioning from top of google, but you said the partitions sizes are not good.

Code: Select all
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             17G     0   17G   0% /dev
tmpfs           3.4G  9.9M  3.4G   1% /run
/dev/sda5        22G   20G  776M  97% /
tmpfs            17G   0   17G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.3M  4.1K  5.3M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs            17G     0   17G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda6       147G  141G   0  100% /home
/dev/sda7       1.1G   52M   913M  6% /boot
tmpfs           3.4G   4.1K  3.4G   1% /run/user/118
tmpfs           3.4G    0    3.4G  0% /run/user/1000

I cleaned it a bit and now it starts to LightDM, but when I login I get kick back to LightDM
What can be the issue ? Also my grub file was broken so I recreate it and I tried to use nomodeset because I was using it before, but it didn't anything and I still get kicked to startup screen after I login.
pinas

Previous

Return to General Questions