Whats wrong? No browser for me?

Post your Debian questions here.

Whats wrong? No browser for me?

Postby ahiung » August 27th, 2017, 4:10 pm

Xfce Debian 8.6.0
Can't install browsers
I follow every step correctly, but I got no results.
When I fresh install this OS on my laptop, it has no browser at all, the "browser" that sit on the dock is like a fake browser. When I clicked it, nothing shows up.

Why didn't I install debian 9.1.0?
I did, but I cannot connect to any of the wifi network, it can detect but not connect, weird huh.the solution on the internet is just not for me, because it requires internet, and I can't connect to internet using Ethernet, wifi only using my phone hotspot.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
ahiung

Re: Whats wrong? No browser for me?

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 28th, 2017, 11:11 pm

It would be a good idea to post your sources list. The screen-grab shows a Debian updates repository, but no main repository where packages are. For example: http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main

Why do you want a browser from backports?

ahiung wrote:When I fresh install this OS on my laptop, it has no browser at all, the "browser" that sit on the dock is like a fake browser. When I clicked it, nothing shows up.
Not much information to work on. You could open a terminal and type the name of the browser that comes with xfce. If there is a problem, an error message will be displayed.

It is difficult to suggest anything more, because of lack of information and what little information there is, is confusing.
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby ahiung » August 29th, 2017, 5:49 am

I'll be back with more informations. I need to turn on my old laptop first when I got some time again, thanks btw for the response friend.

ahiung

Postby cynwulf » August 29th, 2017, 10:19 am

A few problems:

1) You're trying to install packages from a repository which is not set up in your apt sources configuration.
2) As the installer couldn't find a network connection, no repositories were set up - hence the first problem.
3) But the backports repository is usually added manually anyway and you haven't done so.
4) Your wifi device may lack support or just the device firmware (which Debian don't include in their official installation media). Identifying the device helps.

None of this is new, it's been discussed countless times on various Debian and Linux fora, so I advice you use the search function.

Also have a read:
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

Finally a wired connection will be very helpful to you, just to get you wifi installed and configured.
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby ahiung » August 29th, 2017, 10:39 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:It would be a good idea to post your sources list. The screen-grab shows a Debian updates repository, but no main repository where packages are. For example: http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch main

Why do you want a browser from backports?

ahiung wrote:When I fresh install this OS on my laptop, it has no browser at all, the "browser" that sit on the dock is like a fake browser. When I clicked it, nothing shows up.
Not much information to work on. You could open a terminal and type the name of the browser that comes with xfce. If there is a problem, an error message will be displayed.

It is difficult to suggest anything more, because of lack of information and what little information there is, is confusing.
Ok, so I got the information here.
First, I remove the # from the source repositories for apt-get update. I thought it's for root permission, but it wasn't, only for comment. My bad, I'm newby here.

The "browser" is kind of short cut of something. No more information about the browser from Jessie xfce is provided.

The only network application is Thunderbird...(never used it once in my life).

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ahiung

Postby ahiung » August 29th, 2017, 10:48 am

cynwulf wrote:A few problems:

1) You're trying to install packages from a repository which is not set up in your apt sources configuration.
2) As the installer couldn't find a network connection, no repositories were set up - hence the first problem.
3) But the backports repository is usually added manually anyway and you haven't done so.
4) Your wifi device may lack support or just the device firmware (which Debian don't include in their official installation media). Identifying the device helps.

None of this is new, it's been discussed countless times on various Debian and Linux fora, so I advice you use the search function.

Also have a read:
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware

Finally a wired connection will be very helpful to you, just to get you wifi installed and configured.
1. Yes, I tried remove the hashtag. I thought that's a sign for root.

2. My WiFi is connected, no prob with that. But, I can't connect to WiFi in debian 9.1. I didn't choose update from mirror link when installing debian 8, maybe the update messed up my os. So, in conclusion I don't want to update my system, just yet.

3. It's not new, but in Linux every one has its own "new" problem. For example, some problem can be search in many forums with different solving. One thing is many people helping other using sudo. While sudo is not installed in debian on default, many newbie will be confused about it. And it's okay when they know about su option.

ahiung

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 29th, 2017, 1:29 pm

It looks like a browser was not installed, which raises the question; How did that happen? It shoud have been installed along with the rest of xfce.

You have not put a # in front of the second sources.list for cdrom. That means apt will want to download packages from it. Normally a # should be put in front of that line so apt will not use it. However, since it is active, insert the CD and install a browser front it.

Since xfce was installed without a browser, and who knows what else, it would be a good idea to tell us exactly what you did during installation.
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » August 29th, 2017, 2:44 pm

You still don't have a main repository set up. Unless you read the link to the sources.list documentation in my previous post, you won't get much further. There are no shortcuts or easy workarounds, you need to setup a repository, preferably a mirror local to you.

There is no newer firefox available from mozilla.debian.net - go to the page, read it and check for yourself...

The 3rd party google repository is also throwing 404 errors. You don't need that repository to set up a working system - so it's best to remove it.
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby ahiung » August 30th, 2017, 1:52 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:It looks like a browser was not installed, which raises the question; How did that happen? It shoud have been installed along with the rest of xfce.

You have not put a # in front of the second sources.list for cdrom. That means apt will want to download packages from it. Normally a # should be put in front of that line so apt will not use it. However, since it is active, insert the CD and install a browser front it.

Since xfce was installed without a browser, and who knows what else, it would be a good idea to tell us exactly what you did during installation.
1. Yeah, astonishing right? Even windows 98 comes with internet explorer without any updates.

2. The second line wasn't me, I haven't touch it once I installed this os. I just add Mozilla and chrome repo.

3. Okay I'll tell you exactly what I did during installation.
- select install (instead graphical install, why? Because graphical install will tell me to insert Jessie CD into CD-ROM, while I'm installing from the USB unetbootin drive)
- select language
- select region
- select time
- user name and stuffs
- choosing network, I choose wlan0
- a NO for Mirror server update (why? Last time when installing debian 9.1 I choose YES and it leech my phone data quite a lot around 800mb perhaps. I don't have WiFi at home, it's expensive, my phone data plan is limited too. After the updates done, getting into the OS, and......my WiFi stopped working, it can detect WiFi but fail in connecting them. So, yeah....I can't connect to internet at all, I don't have wired connection, as I said before I using my phone as hotspot. This is truly traumatic experience for me, so when I install debian 8.6, I skip that mirror thingy.)
- still another update but this time its not mirror, it has around 200 MB or something, dunno what update was that. But I press OK for this one.
- after all done, restart the laptop, and there you go, I have a debian 8.6 lxde with no browser not even chromium for me.

I already spent a lot of data for trying out Linux for my old laptop, which one the fastest and such. I downloaded peppermint, lubuntu, and stuffs, but those are horribly slow for my laptop. LXDE debian is fast as Sonic but has no browsers..../sad

ahiung

Postby ahiung » August 30th, 2017, 2:48 am

cynwulf wrote:You still don't have a main repository set up. Unless you read the link to the sources.list documentation in my previous post, you won't get much further. There are no shortcuts or easy workarounds, you need to setup a repository, preferably a mirror local to you.

There is no newer firefox available from mozilla.debian.net - go to the page, read it and check for yourself...

The 3rd party google repository is also throwing 404 errors. You don't need that repository to set up a working system - so it's best to remove it.
1. I'll try to look at it sir, and I'll post here for further problem I stumbled upon. Thank you for your information, I appreciate it sir.

2. Mozilla site (picture)Image
Is this installable sir? What is esr version? How it's different from stable or unstable?

3. I don't want a fancy OS or something, I can do fancy stuffs on my MacBook air. This old laptop is just for browsing and do little things....but if that is so hard to make it work then it's okay, I'll do it slowly then...

ahiung

Next

Return to General Questions