Whats wrong? No browser for me?

Post your Debian questions here.

Re: Whats wrong? No browser for me?

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 30th, 2017, 3:44 am

ahiung wrote:1. Yeah, astonishing right? Even windows 98 comes with internet explorer without any updates.
If you are installing from the xfce-install CD, it will install a browser (whichever one is default with xfce). So you are probably doing something funky during installation. Regardless, as I already mentioned, you can install a browser from the installation disc. If it is a complete disc and not a boot-only installation ISO or whatever Debian is using these days.

2. The second line wasn't me, I haven't touch it once I installed this os. I just add Mozilla and chrome repo.
The first thing you need to do is configure your soures.list. Without designating package repositories, apt will not be able to fetch any packages. There is no need to use Mozilla and Chrome repositories. Use the packages in Debian' repositories.

3. Okay I'll tell you exactly what I did during installation.
- select install (instead graphical install, why? Because graphical install will tell me to insert Jessie CD into CD-ROM, while I'm installing from the USB unetbootin drive)
- select language
- select region
- select time
- user name and stuffs
- choosing network, I choose wlan0
- a NO for Mirror server update

Did you tell the installer to not install "stuff"?
If you are using a regular installation ISO (not netinstall) there is no need for an internet connection.

So, yeah....I can't connect to internet at all, I don't have wired connection, as I said before I using my phone as hotspot. This is truly traumatic experience for me, so when I install debian 8.6, I skip that mirror thingy.)
Since you need a wireless connection, you will need to either: also have the wireless firmware on a USB device; or do a netinstall. Although, the last time I installed Debian the installer asked me if I wanted to use the non-free repostitory, which is where many firmware packages are. The bottom line is, you seem to be skipping something during installation. I suggest re-reading the installation instructions and following them precisely.
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby ahiung » August 30th, 2017, 8:04 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
ahiung wrote:1. Yeah, astonishing right? Even windows 98 comes with internet explorer without any updates.
If you are installing from the xfce-install CD, it will install a browser (whichever one is default with xfce). So you are probably doing something funky during installation. Regardless, as I already mentioned, you can install a browser from the installation disc. If it is a complete disc and not a boot-only installation ISO or whatever Debian is using these days.

2. The second line wasn't me, I haven't touch it once I installed this os. I just add Mozilla and chrome repo.
The first thing you need to do is configure your soures.list. Without designating package repositories, apt will not be able to fetch any packages. There is no need to use Mozilla and Chrome repositories. Use the packages in Debian' repositories.

3. Okay I'll tell you exactly what I did during installation.
- select install (instead graphical install, why? Because graphical install will tell me to insert Jessie CD into CD-ROM, while I'm installing from the USB unetbootin drive)
- select language
- select region
- select time
- user name and stuffs
- choosing network, I choose wlan0
- a NO for Mirror server update

Did you tell the installer to not install "stuff"?
If you are using a regular installation ISO (not netinstall) there is no need for an internet connection.

So, yeah....I can't connect to internet at all, I don't have wired connection, as I said before I using my phone as hotspot. This is truly traumatic experience for me, so when I install debian 8.6, I skip that mirror thingy.)
Since you need a wireless connection, you will need to either: also have the wireless firmware on a USB device; or do a netinstall. Although, the last time I installed Debian the installer asked me if I wanted to use the non-free repostitory, which is where many firmware packages are. The bottom line is, you seem to be skipping something during installation. I suggest re-reading the installation instructions and following them precisely.
No, I'm not doing something funny bro. I only skipped the installing mirror thingy, because if I install that mirror thing I might get a browser, but it will messed my network connection. The ISO file size is large enough to have at least a browser, why should I download it from mirror server tho right?

I don't want to reinstall anything, cost me time. My wife will mad at me doing something unprofitable in front of the old laptop.

But anyway, that's that. Thanks for responding tho bro.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk
ahiung

Postby cynwulf » August 30th, 2017, 8:17 am

Just refer to the link to the Debian wiki regarding setting up sources.list - here it is again:

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#Exa ... urces.list

And to explain again: You are missing a main repository, the only usable repository you have is the security repository. This is always set up by the installer regardless. Without a main repository you're "pissing in the wind", i.e. all of your current actions and this chat are essentially pointless.

Add a main repository to your sources, run "apt-get update" (or whatever it is these days) and you should then be able to go ahead and install whatever you want.

Find a local repository mirror here:

https://www.debian.org/mirror/list

Beyond that there is little more we can do (or would be willing to do).

If you need step by step "walking through" for the whole process, then I suggest trying a different Linux distribution or OS which is geared towards new users or ease of use. The other Debian forum is an option and you may find more "hands on" assistance there (and more traffic), but new users trying to get others to fix their broken install for them, is generally not tolerated.
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Previous

Return to General Questions