Installing gdebi on debian 9 stretch

Post your Debian questions here.

Installing gdebi on debian 9 stretch

Postby wedgetail » June 26th, 2017, 2:23 pm

My level of Linux knowledge is limited so I will do my best to explain. In other Linux distros and in particular Ubuntu I have used gdebi to install packages and found it simple to use and have dependencies solved. I can use Terminal but when trying to install gdebi in Debian 9 Stretch there were multiple dependency issues which could not be resolved. I researched as much as I could and followed the various offerings such as dpkg -i gdebi_0.9.5.7+nmu1_all.deb or su apt-get install gdebi and when dependencies issues occurred there were multiple suggestion on how to fix them but none worked by all of the so called Linux experts on line who seemed to all copy and paste the same information.
So my experience lead me to enter Synaptic package manager where I went into SETTINGS > REPOSITORIES > URI > Entered this>> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ then in Distribution I entered > stretch > then in Sections(s) I entered > main.
I RELOADED the page and located gdebi in ALL section and MARKED IT FOR INSTALLATION.
The installation went without a problem. It works well.
It appears there are too many people purporting to have the knowledge but are fakes.
I am currently helping people in PNG and Bougaineville learn LINUX and in particular DEBIAN based. However the dpkg is not easy to use in trying to install gdebi. The Debian 9 iso comes with a stack of packages with .deb files but you can't install them any other way as described by the "experts" using apt or dpkg. Too many errors or dependency issues and for an old man to get his head around. So why and please excuse my ignorance, does Debian not automatically make gdebi as an application that can be used straight away without having to go through the stressful effort of installing it.
I have been a fan of LINUX for a long time and tried lots of distros and have returned to Debian only to be slightly disappointed by this experience.
As mentioned earlier with my limited knowledge I am trying to teach those who have less educational access and technology. They cannot afford commercial systems so I am directing them to what I believe is the best Operating system. Please help make my task a little easier and find a way to better improve at least the gdebi aspect and I am sure you will get a lot more people switching onto LINUX.
Instead of looking on line i will focus more on these forums. Hope my bit of information was clear enough and helps.
wedgetail

Re: Installing gdebi on debian 9 stretch

Postby cynwulf » June 26th, 2017, 3:38 pm

wedgetail wrote:there were multiple dependency issues which could not be resolved. I researched as much as I could and followed the various offerings such as dpkg -i gdebi_0.9.5.7+nmu1_all.deb

This certainly won't automatically resolve dependencies. dpkg is the actual package manager, it knows about dependencies, but won't resolve them for you.

apt is the tool which fetches packages from repositories and resolves dependencies -it calls dpkg to actually install packages and update the package database, etc.

wedgetail wrote:su apt-get install gdebi

This command is syntactically incorrect, so no: it won't work.

wedgetail wrote:So my experience lead me to enter Synaptic package manager where I went into SETTINGS > REPOSITORIES > URI > Entered this>> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ then in Distribution I entered > stretch > then in Sections(s) I entered > main.
I RELOADED the page and located gdebi in ALL section and MARKED IT FOR INSTALLATION.
The installation went without a problem. It works well.

This worked because you set up an apt repository which was not already present. The whole issue may have been that that your repositories weren't set up. I can only assume that your network connection wasn't working when you installed the system?

wedgetail wrote:The Debian 9 iso comes with a stack of packages with .deb files but you can't install them any other way as described by the "experts" using apt

You can install them if the CDROM is mounted and you have the relevant deb-cdrom line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

wedgetail wrote:So why and please excuse my ignorance, does Debian not automatically make gdebi as an application that can be used straight away without having to go through the stressful effort of installing it.

Probably because it's not actually needed for normal package management... it's for installing locally downloaded packages (and can also deal with their dependencies).

The irony is that gdebi uses the dpkg and apt back ends, so if those were as broken as you believe them to be, then graphical front ends such as gdebi and synaptic wouldn't work either...

wedgetail wrote:Please help make my task a little easier and find a way to better improve at least the gdebi aspect and I am sure you will get a lot more people switching onto LINUX.

You will need to direct your concerns to the project itself, usually via the official mailing lists. Forums such as this one and the other Debian forum are not official "channels".
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby wedgetail » June 27th, 2017, 2:20 am

cynwulf

Thank you for being so informative and helpful. I stand corrected on my syntax. My poor excuse is that I am not proficient in Terminal and try to learn from others and their syntax. I must confess my explanation may have also been poorly written. Since my original post I have re installed Debian 9 ( alongside of Kali, Parrot, BackBox, Mint and yes, dare I say it a Microslop OS [for those who still need assistance with it] ) only this time I did not select the simple graphical install at the top of the list. It appears to be a MINIMAL installation and there is where I do not get all of the packages I require. This time I took the bold step and went to ADVANCED GRAPHICAL installation. ( It has been a long time since I last used Debian for an install. )
What a difference that made. I selected ALL desktops and servers etc for installation. Slightly longer to install but well worth it. Not only was I able to indulge in the selection of flavors but ALL of the software I was looking for such as gdebi came loaded and ready to use. That has saved my last 3 brain cells from disintegrating into the black hole in my head.
I will learn from your advice and attempt to further my understanding of syntax, the Terminal and all things Linux. In particular DEBIAN. Thanks again.
wedgetail

Postby jheaton5 » June 29th, 2017, 8:14 pm

So, not only do you have windows, a GB hog at least, but 5 linux distributions all on one hard drive? And then when installing Debian 9 you installed every desktop. I lost my face palm avatar.
jheaton5

Postby wedgetail » June 29th, 2017, 11:43 pm

Incredible ! Unbelievable ! you might say. But no. Not all on one drive. Multiple drives and GRUB handles all of the booting with Debian 9 at the top of the list and MS at the bottom. Just another reason I like Linux so much. Those I introduce it to are very pleased with the extraordinary effort of all involved in creating such a fantastic system and most of them wish they had been using it long ago. Please note that MS is there purely to help those who are stuck with the same age old problems and not technically proficient nor financially able to constantly repair and it is NOT my preferred system. When I show them the differences and superiority of Linux they quickly convert to it. Very few have any issues after that. In fact a leader in one of the communities who has never used it or known of it before has since taken it on board and introduced it to be used in his communities schools and making his family and friends more aware of it. I have helped him and his communities by refurbishing old office systems with educational software (edubuntu) as they cannot afford commercial systems. So chalk one more up for the good guys. Me, I am just an ordinary Linux learner trying to help those who need it with what limited knowledge and experience I have. Kudos goes to those who really make Linux happen.
wedgetail

Postby wedgetail » June 29th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Regarding all of the desktops. Yes I did. It happily installed all and when you boot and get to the Login screen click on the User then you will see a small cog wheel. Click on that and you can then select which style you like. Enter your password. You can simply Logout ( no reboot ) and change desktop. Too easy. Best Debian ever ! AND all of the software that is on the 9.0.0 .iso installs under the advanced install. I do have a small criticism and MATE TWEAK has to be installed to remove desktop icons such as COMPUTER, HOME FOLDER and TRASH. I prefer them not to be there. Love a desktop without icons.
wedgetail

Postby cynwulf » June 30th, 2017, 1:58 pm

Hard disk storage is quite cheap these days, so while installing windows and tons of Linux distributions seems rather pointless, I suppose it is feasible...

Running all the distributions under windows in x86 virtual machines, is also a possibility. Again I don't see much point, but that approach may be better than multiple installs on bare metal and having to configure the bootloader, etc.

I think many new users see preconfigured desktops as "the experience" or the OS and don't yet fully understand that most Linux distributions are basically the same thing. You just pick the one which releases and does the package management side of things to your preferences. What then gets installed on top - e.g. X.org, gnome/KDE/XFCE/whatever else can be installed and configured as you see fit.
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby wedgetail » July 1st, 2017, 2:46 am

Hard disk storage is quite cheap these days, so while installing windows and tons of Linux distributions seems rather pointless, I suppose it is feasible...

You make good points cynwolf.

Running all the distributions under windows in x86 virtual machines, is also a possibility. Again I don't see much point, but that approach may be better than multiple installs on bare metal and having to configure the bootloader, etc.

Although I do know how to use virtual machines i prefer to do it in a way that those I help understand easier. The machine is an x64 and is set up to show the various people I help and better explain the variations and possibilities and to help with the transition to Linux. GRUB is an outstanding boot loader and makes my task much simpler.

I think many new users see preconfigured desktops as "the experience" or the OS and don't yet fully understand that most Linux distributions are basically the same thing. You just pick the one which releases and does the package management side of things to your preferences. What then gets installed on top - e.g. X.org, gnome/KDE/XFCE/whatever else can be installed and configured as you see fit.

I am well aware that distros are basically the same and you change the desktop flavor and packages according to your hearts desire. On my other machine, the one that counts, does not have multiple systems and LINUX ONLY as I detest MS with a passion. The main purpose of the other box is to best demonstrate the advantage of LIVE DVD and test it in front of the person and the ease of installation. Also the multitude of free software and lots of help. I also point out that in over 20 years of using LINUX in all of the distros I have tried I have NEVER HAD A VIRUS. For those I help who seem to get one every time they switch on their MS computer they are rapidly becoming LINUX fans and in particular DEBIAN instead. On the demonstration machine it is very easy to retain MS on it and change to any other LINUX distro to be installed. It reflects the versatility, stability, reliability and progressive thinking of those who make it continue to happen. LONG LIVE LINUX !
wedgetail

Return to General Questions