How to configure two simultaneous Conky displays.

Share your wisdom. Not for support questions!

Moderator: How-to Curator

How to configure two simultaneous Conky displays.

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » March 26th, 2013, 3:06 pm

If you want to have two Conkies displayed on your screen simultaneously, but do not know how to achieve it, this mini-guild is for you.

Prerequisites
1 - It is assumed the reader already knows how to add Conky to the list of applications automatically started at log-in.
2 - Since the intention is to have two Conkies displaying different information, obviously it is also assumed that the reader knows how to configure the conky.conf.

Disclaimer
The following procedure works with window managers, but may require modification for a desktop environment. I have never used Conky with a DE, so cannot provide extra details for them.
Any members with knowledge about configuring DE start-up files, please feel free to add details.

The first step is to create a second Conky configuration file. I make it simple and call mine .conky2. Place this file in ~/home.
The second step is to add the second Conky to the startup.sh. I use a procedure borrowed from the fine folks at Arch Linux.
Code: Select all
conky &
conky -c .conky2 &

Voilà! Double the Conky goodness!
With a window manager, the procedure is that easy and works perfectly. With a desktop environment, the second Conky will need to be added to whichever configuration file your particular DE uses to set start-up applications. It works with a WM, so it should also work with a DE.
Linux refugee fleeing the merciless onslaught of systemd and the Buntard horde.
Randicus Draco Albus

Return to HowTo