How to insert driver into setup installation?

Post your Debian questions here.

How to insert driver into setup installation?

Postby Jacobcullen » March 13th, 2019, 11:34 am

I have a gigabit ethernet that seems isn't supported by default on debian (I tried install and got the message that the ethernet card wasn't recognized). How can I download the driver and put into the installation so I can have it free netflix tech news android 9 recognized since installation (is that even possible)?
MOBO: ASUS Z390 Gaming
Last edited by Jacobcullen on March 14th, 2019, 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jacobcullen

Re: How to insert driver into setup installation?

Postby cynwulf » March 13th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Jacobcullen wrote:I have a gigabit ethernet that seems isn't supported by default on debian (I tried install and got the message that the ethernet card wasn't recognized). How can I download the driver and put into the installation so I can have it recognized since installation (is that even possible)?
MOBO: ASUS Z390 Gaming

The driver is usually part of the Linux kernel. You will probably need a newer kernel, or the driver may require firmware.

The easiest is to eliminate the latter scenario first. Try installing from one of the unofficial iso images, which include the kernel firmware:

https://cdimage.debian.org/images/unoff ... ree/amd64/

If that fails with the same error, you likely have unsupported hardware and may need a newer kernel or possibly may need to download and build the vendor driver from source. That means first doing an installation offline.
cynwulf

Return to General Questions