Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 29th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Perhaps this will help clarify things:
There's no way anyone could ever hate me half as much as I don't care

(© Frankie Boyle)
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: runit

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » October 30th, 2018, 6:58 am

I managed to get runit-init working as PID1 in Debian buster but the graphical desktop is a non-starter unless I apply the setuid bit to the Xorg binary, which isn't going to happen.

The bug that I reported still exists with the package: it the runit-init package is installed and the post-installation instruction message followed then it becomes impossible to safely reboot the machine without doing the /proc/sysrq-trigger dance :?

Should I re-open the bug?
Show Off
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby nodir » October 30th, 2018, 7:16 am

I couldn't poweroff, halt or shutdown on buster.
I bootet it. I shut it down. Else i didn't use it and won't use it again. I can't say anything else.

Would make sense to re-open the bug, i'd say, but ... Well: you have seen the reactions to the first report.
No one cares. I don't understand why the don't simply remove other init's.
They know damn well they sold out, and hence you can't talk to them about that subject (init systems). They are touchy, and don't want to be reminded.

PS:
Why did i try that at all. a) one of the nerds in irc said you can replace systemd with sysv, but support is limited, and he never heard anyone would be running runit, and kinda "shit knows, if that works at all". Few days later someone had a question about "manual partitioning", so i had a look at it on a spare laptop. I started this thread after the nerd mentioned it, because i remembered way back in the past there was quite a bit of fooling with init systems. I don't remember them being so problematic, back then.

Lots of words to basically say:
i don't care about debian anymore. Hence can't say much. (lol).
nodir

Postby cynwulf » October 30th, 2018, 9:15 am

nodir wrote:No one cares. I don't understand why the don't simply remove other init's.
They know damn well they sold out, and hence you can't talk to them about that subject (init systems). They are touchy, and don't want to be reminded.

I remember reading a bug report, where gnome package maintainers responded to the effect that the bug wasn't a bug because systemd was not installed...

This is the kind of mentality that you're up against.

There's also the matter of Ubuntu/Debian "co developers". The tail has been wagging the dog for years. The Canonical/Ubuntu people just want the init system which best supports their chosen desktop solution to be integrated upstream.
cynwulf

Postby nodir » October 30th, 2018, 9:31 am

Might well be it's the mentality which made me leave debian.
As soon you mention the subject, you get all the hate, even if it is a valid question.
Just go in the IRC channel and ask how to replace systemd with another init. Though there are even bot-factoids about it, 80% of the time you will get "a lot of love" right away.
I got no more strong feelings though, neither debian nor systemd, nor any other distro. I fool around a little bit, and don't care much about linux as an idea or such.

Void serves me quite well, on another note. It's my main OS for the daily ride for, mhh ... like 4 weeks.Straight forward, intuitive, no problems at all, light on ressources (though i picked the glibc version), etc. (headonastick might or might not be interested: apk, the alpine packagemanager, ist just a xbps-install -S away ... ).
The other day i installed void-musl on the second raspberry. Works very well too (though i2pd i still don't understand, but that is third-party problem).
So i can remove the raspian raspberry installation soon (could do it right away, but am busy, i don't need it anymore).
The last remaining "problem" is the powerpc. Either adelie or openbsd, but i guess i will go for openbsd.
dragora is shitloads of fun, btw, but for now it really is fiddling, not a daily ride.

sure, just chat. But why not? :-)
nodir

Postby golinux » October 30th, 2018, 3:08 pm

nodir wrote:The last remaining "problem" is the powerpc.
FYI:

<devuanci> [09:10:10] Project sysvinit-binaries » architecture=ppc64el,label=ppc64el build #46: SUCCESS in 2 min 17 sec: http://ci.devuan.org/job/sysvinit-binar ... pc64el/46/
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby nodir » October 30th, 2018, 3:29 pm

hey golinux, thanks for that.
I will need to ask kelsoo if i can work with that (ppc64; the 64 makes me wonder).

I got sysv there though, as i am running on old-stable. Don't dare upgrading to Sid: To me the powerpc is very weird. I guess i will let kelsoo be the guinea pig, and then he shall tell me what to do. He knows it in and out.
nodir

Previous

Return to General Questions