package upgrade

Post your Debian questions here.

package upgrade

Postby niculelu » August 8th, 2018, 4:11 pm

hi,
when i upgrade the package i must to boot in single user mode and run service networking start then apt-get update or it is safe from multiuser mode with apt-get update?
in multiuser mode the application must be shutdown?
tnx
niculelu

Re: package upgrade

Postby fsmithred » August 10th, 2018, 12:27 am

You can safely upgrade packages in multi-user mode. If any of your running applications are being upgraded, it's a good idea to stop them first and restart them after the upgrade.
fsmithred

Postby Huckaby » August 22nd, 2018, 1:05 pm

Is it a good idea to keep everything upgraded and up to date at all times or is that unnecessary? I'm just curious.
Huckaby

Postby CwF » August 23rd, 2018, 3:44 am

I'm not sure there is a legit straight answer without the qualifications of the purpose. On the one hand, an off line machine that does it's job, why muck it up. A machine that has room to improve is an endless quest. An online machine has it's paranoid update needs. Me, I use a hypervisor that has copies, an older and often a newer in addition to the working copy. Generally it needs no upgrades, but a few things could improve. My bread & butter vm is a way out of date king of functionality, alternative unmentionable OS that has never been online or updated. Online vm's are like the host, some a year old, some current.

In my opinion automagical rolling updates are idiotic for the average. People using software that are familiar with a wishlist of changes might want to chase the updates since they are the type to notice. But if you have no idea what's broken why worry.
CwF

Return to General Questions