Debian Installation without Internet Connection  Topic is solved

Post your Debian questions here.

Debian Installation without Internet Connection

Postby btforensics » June 12th, 2018, 8:30 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm just new to Debian and would like to seek help with the installation process if the machine does not have Internet connection.

Here's what I did:
I've downloaded the complete package of Debian from "https://www.debian.org/distrib/" using my Windows Laptop computer.
debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-1
debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-2
debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-3

I've made "debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-1" bootable and installed it to a Desktop machine which I want it to be Debian.
I've followed the installation instructions, selected "Cinnamon".
Now, I booted to Debian GUI with the icons, wallpaper and stuff (just like windows) but I do not have internet connection.
I am using ALFA AWUS036NH and it says firmware missing. I've connected another wireless adapter (generic brand) and it says the same thing.

I've downloaded the alfa driver from
https://www.alfa.com.tw/files/?dir=%5B1 ... 36NH/Linux

Did chmod a+x to make it executable but getting "file:exec format error" when I tried to install.

I've seen some instructions to use the "make" command but it is prompting me that "command line not found".

I have not installed the two other iso packages that I downloaded, could this be the reason why? if so, how do I go about installing these?
debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-2
debian-9.4.0-amd64-DVD-3

Thanks in advance!
btforensics

Re: Debian Installation without Internet Connection  Topic is solved

Postby cynwulf » June 12th, 2018, 9:05 am

A few important points:

1) Debian standard installation media does not provide the closed source binary firmware required for some devices.
2) Downloading vendor drivers is not recommended and is likely to be a waste of time
3) Driver support is in the kernel, that's how 99% of hardware is supported in *nix like systems, you just need that missing device firmware, the package manage could easily retrieve it, if there were an internet connection... Thus you enter a, now infamous, catch 22 situation.

The reason this firmware isn't available is because of a set of guidelines by the Debian project. The firmware itself isn't a Linux (or windows) binary, it's code which runs on the device itself (similar to a motherboard BIOS or UEFI), so it shouldn't be an issue - unfortunately that still falls under the "non-free" designation and thus isn't available by default.

According to wikidevi:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ALFA_Network_AWUS036NH

The Ralink RT3070. That's all you need to worry about. The "brand", is irrelevant. Assuming you're running the stretch/stable release, according to packages.debian.org the firmware for the device is included in the "firmware-misc-nonfree" package:

1) Pick a local mirror and download it from another computer/OS: https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all ... e/download

2) Put it on memory stick and transfer it to your Debian install

3) Install it using dpkg(1)

4) Or if you can resort to a wired connection, you could get connected with that, add the non-free repository and then install the firmware using apt-get(8).

5) Once you've done any of the above you'd probably still need to fix your apt sources as they would have been left unconfigured at install time.

6) Or you could download an "unofficial" iso image which includes the firmware and reinstall:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware#Firmwa ... stallation

7) You only need CD1 or one of the smaller installation images. The other iso images are for completely offline installations (but still don't include that firmware).
cynwulf

Re: Debian Installation without Internet Connection

Postby jheaton5 » June 13th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Doesn't an ethernet connection work out of the box? When doing a fresh install, I always connect to the net through ethernet. When installation is complete, I download the wireless firmware for the specific wireless adapter.
jheaton5

Postby btforensics » June 15th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Hi cynwulf,

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I was able to download the firmware using my Windows laptop and installed it to my Debian desktop machine.

It is now able to detect all of the wireless hotspots available in my area, however, for some reason it is not able to establish a connection to my wireless hotspot. I keep on getting the message "The network connection has been disconnected". I am sure that I'm using the correct password and Security Type WPA2-personal(AES) but I keep on getting the same message. I've connected my generic wireless adapter but I am encountering the same issue. I've also tried connecting it to a different port.

Hi jheaton5,
Unfortunately, in the area that I am located, we do not have Ethernet cable available that I can attach to the desktop. I am actually just using my mobile phone as a hotspot (mobile tethering). I can connect to it just fine with my Windows Machine.

Thank you for your help!
btforensics

Postby btforensics » June 16th, 2018, 2:05 pm

After doing some research, I've discovered that this is a known bug for Network Manager of Debian.

I've added the following lines in networkmanager.conf
gedit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

Restarted Network Manager
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Thank you everyone!

More power debianuserforums!
btforensics

Return to General Questions