[Solved] wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 35

Post your Debian questions here.

[Solved] wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 35

Postby prudra » February 14th, 2017, 4:45 pm

I installed Debian Jessie 8.7.1 , on dell vosto 15 3558 laptop with pre-installed ubuntu from bootable usb created bu `dd if=....' command overwriting the ubuntu . Then came the mesage that wi-fi driver is not available. Since I didn't want to go back to Ubuntu, I chose the next better path of having lmde betsy with mate desktop. Does not debian OS have atheros 9k driver on its iso image?
Last edited by prudra on April 26th, 2017, 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
prudra
 
Posts: 14
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 10:25 am

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby Pick2 » February 14th, 2017, 10:42 pm

There are iso images with non-free drivers included here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/

that should get you going
Just folded space from Arrakis
Fugitive of the fdn re-education camp.
User avatar
Pick2
 
Posts: 136
Joined: February 10th, 2011, 1:22 am
Location: Decatur , Illinois , USA

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby prudra » February 15th, 2017, 9:09 am

Pick2 wrote:There are iso images with non-free drivers included here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/

that should get you going

I think I'll undergo the physical ordeal of downloading the image, creating the bootable usb and installing it. It surely is worth it .Thanks.
prudra
 
Posts: 14
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 10:25 am

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby caulfield » February 17th, 2017, 10:25 am

Hi, I also have non-free wifi drivers and use the normal install image and then add the deb to another usb and install it after booting the system.
User avatar
caulfield
 
Posts: 191
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby prudra » February 19th, 2017, 6:19 am

caulfield wrote:Hi, I also have non-free wifi drivers and use the normal install image and then add the deb to another usb and install it after booting the system.

Will you kindly explain the actual process in detail? If I don't have the internet, I use some other computer to download the requisite driver on a usb fladhdrive from debian package side; then try to reinstall the OS and in thaprocess it asks for non-free drivers then insert the usb? Can I do it in the already installed machine without goin through the re-installation?
prudra
 
Posts: 14
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 10:25 am

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby cynwulf » February 20th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Either download the image including firmware or read this and try installing from a regular image with the firmware on USB flash:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware
User avatar
cynwulf
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: April 26th, 2011, 2:46 pm

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby prudra » April 19th, 2017, 3:06 pm

prudra wrote:
Pick2 wrote:There are iso images with non-free drivers included here:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff ... -firmware/

that should get you going

I think I'll undergo the physical ordeal of downloading the image, creating the bootable usb and installing it. It surely is worth it .Thanks.



Sorry, I forgot to write that worked. Thanks.I
prudra
 
Posts: 14
Joined: February 14th, 2017, 10:25 am

Re: wi-fi driver for debian jessie on dell vostro 15 3558

Postby Engelman » April 22nd, 2017, 9:19 am

cynwulf wrote:Either download the image including firmware or read this and try installing from a regular image with the firmware on USB flash:

https://wiki.debian.org/Firmware


Thank you very much. This helped me as well.
Engelman
 
Posts: 1
Joined: April 19th, 2017, 6:04 am


Return to General Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 2 guests

x