Create new live disk from inside current live disk

Post your questions about Refracta here.

Re: Create new live disk from inside current live disk

Postby fsmithred » October 25th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Partition schemes are as varied as people. It depends on what you want to do. An install that's just being used to create a live snapshot can be on a single partition. I usually make them around 10-20 GB. For an installation that I'm going to use for regular computing stuff, I'll use a 10-20 GB partition for the operating system and a big partition for /home. (i.e. whatever space is remaining on the disk.)

You don't need a swap partition unless you plan to use hibernation. The installer will create a small swapfile. Most modern computers have more than enough memory, so swap space doesn't get used much.

The installer gives you a choice of ext2/3/4. If you want something else, format the partition before running the installer, and select "Do not format" in the installer options. I recommend that you use ext4.

Edit: To make live snapshots, you should have free space equal to twice the space used by the installation.
(4 GB installation gets a 12 GB partition. Enough room for a copy of the system and any isos you create.)
fsmithred

Postby Mister Monday » October 25th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Okay, I was able to install LFA using refractainstaller. And I was also able to create a new live disk using refractasnapshot. So that seems to be working. Thanks!

However, I see a lot of "failed" things when shutting down the machine. Not sure if it is an issue related to refracta or not. Here is a screenshot.

This actually locks up the VM. I am unable to shut down the guest completely, and end up having to terminate VMware using Task Manager in Windows.
Mister Monday

Postby fsmithred » October 25th, 2018, 10:53 pm

That looks like shutdown messages from the live iso, with mention of squashfs and loop0. I'm not familar with current vmware, but in virtualbox, I don't bother to shut down a live iso - I just turn off the VM. Since there are no mounted filesystems at the time, and it's a read-only system, it can't hurt anything.

If that's the shutdown message from the installed system, then I don't know what's going on.
fsmithred

Postby Mister Monday » October 26th, 2018, 2:44 am

It was from the live disk, so I guess we can ignore it. Thanks.
Mister Monday

Previous

Return to Refracta