0.0G Snapshot  Topic is solved

Post your questions about Refracta here.

0.0G Snapshot

Postby MXKx20 » September 24th, 2018, 9:53 am

I've had this problem on past snaps and would always recover by using older/recent snaps. But this time I have a build that's really nice but with no recent snaps. Using RefractaSnapshot I have the feeling I should be getting an .iso around 2.7G but that's not the case lol. Anyone know a good place to start de-bugging? :?
Last edited by MXKx20 on September 27th, 2018, 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MXKx20

Re: 0.0G Snapshot

Postby fsmithred » September 25th, 2018, 11:22 am

Check /var/log/refractasnapshot_errors.log It's probably an xorriso error. Usual cause is not enough free space.
Run 'refractasnapshot -d' or 'refractasnapshot-gui -d' to get a more verbose error log.
fsmithred

Postby MXKx20 » September 27th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Ok. Iv'e installed
Code: Select all
grub-efi-amd64
and then retried a snapshot from the GIU menu(The ubuntu grub-pc file was in the way). The .iso now are 96k and when put onto a usb shows that no isolinux is installed on the drive.
MXKx20

Postby fsmithred » September 28th, 2018, 3:23 am

It doesn't matter which grub is installed for making the snapshot. That only matters when you're installing, and even if the wrong grub is installed for your hardware (efi vs. bios) the installer will use the right grub packages if you have them on the media.

I need to see a debug log to figure out where it went wrong.
fsmithred

Postby MXKx20 » October 1st, 2018, 6:14 am

fsmithred wrote:I need to see a debug log to figure out where it went wrong.

Hard to get the full error.log file but this is the tail end that seems to strike me as important
+ isohybrid_opt='-isohybrid-mbr /usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin'
+ xorriso -as mkisofs -r -J -joliet-long -l -isohybrid-mbr /usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin -partition_offset 16 -V snapshot-live-cd -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat $
xorriso 1.3.2 : RockRidge filesystem manipulator, libburnia project.

Drive current: -outdev 'stdio:/home/snapshot/snapshot-20181001_0201.iso'
Media current: stdio file, overwriteable
Media status : is blank
Media summary: 0 sessions, 0 data blocks, 0 data, 93.8g free
xorriso : WARNING : -volid text does not comply to ISO 9660 / ECMA 119 rules
Added to ISO image: directory '/'='/home/work/iso'
xorriso : UPDATE : 302 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : UPDATE : 302 files added in 1 seconds
xorriso : NOTE : Copying to System Area: 432 bytes from file '/usr/lib/ISOLINUX/isohdpfx.bin'
libisofs: WARNING : File "/live/filesystem.squashfs" can't be added to image because is greater than 4GB
libisofs: WARNING : File "/live/filesystem.squashfs" can't be added to image because is greater than 4GB
libisofs: NOTE : Automatically adjusted MBR geometry to 1019/135/32
libisofs: NOTE : Aligned image size to cylinder size by 15 blocks

UNIX-SIGNAL:  SIGSEGV  errno= 0
xorriso : ABORT : Trying to shut down busy drives
xorriso : ABORT : Wait the normal burning time before any kill -9
/usr/bin/refractasnapshot: line 911:  6264 Segmentation fault      xorriso -as mkisofs -r -J -joliet-long -l ${isohybrid_opt} -partition_offset 16 -V "snapshot-live-cd" -b isoli$
+ [[ yes = \y\e\s ]]
+ cd /home/snapshot
+ sha256sum snapshot-20181001_0201.iso
+ cd /home/work
+ final_message
+ echo -e '\m\tAll finished!\n'
+ exit 0

And I definately have enough space
   Size Used    Avail   Use%    Mounted                 Filesystem
  107G  8.8G    99G     9%      /                       /dev/sda1
MXKx20

Re: 0.0G Snapshot  Topic is solved

Postby golinux » October 1st, 2018, 6:49 am

There is a 4gb limit on an iso. Start excluding stuff. Note that I haven't been able to get mine under that in a very long time even with all of home excluded. It's been frustrating. I'm sure that fsmithred will have more illuminating comments.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby MXKx20 » October 1st, 2018, 8:53 am

golinux wrote:There is a 4gb limit on an iso. Start excluding stuff.

WOW. Thank you golinux. Fixed. Deleted A movie. 4gb is the limit for now?
Aside: Before this build I've been using a large usb for my main 'file-storage' and messed it up by not unmounting it, now it dosent show up anywhere[gparted & lsusb, baoboa.whatever] (gives error 10 on Win7) so i've never even had to really use the ssd space that refracta is on. Fun learning exp. Have backups for backups :( :cry: :roll: :mrgreen:
Last edited by MXKx20 on November 3rd, 2018, 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
MXKx20

Postby fsmithred » October 4th, 2018, 6:51 pm

4GB is the limit for the iso size. That's not new. If you can't get it down below that size, you can still make a live-usb using what's in the work directory. You have to set save_work="yes" in the config file first. Then make your snapshot.

To make the usb, find a small bootable live iso, use refracta2usb to make a bootable live-usb with that iso, then copy the contents of /home/work/iso/ to a new directory on the usb, then edit /syslinux/live.cfg and /boot/grub/grub.cfg on the usb to add an entry to the boot menu. You'll have a multi-boot usb with your custom system and whatever live iso you used for the first system. (I recommend a refracta iso. ;)
fsmithred

Return to Refracta