wicd status screen and window

Post your questions about Refracta here.

wicd status screen and window

Postby gideon » December 14th, 2017, 7:01 pm

Sometimes after launching wicd from the internet menu, nothing shows up. ps-ef | grep wicd shows the process is active. After killing the process and relaunch, the window appears, ... most times. Sometimes its presence is known only by the active applications window. The wireless link status is not kept up-to-date; it may be connected but show a "connect" option.
gideon

Re: wicd status screen and window

Postby fsmithred » December 18th, 2017, 1:40 am

Sorry for the late response. I've been off doing other things. I don't know the answer, but I guess this is one of those things I've heard about from people who say that wicd is flaky. When I use it, I have it start with my desktop, and it's in the tray. That's where I click if I want to see it. And then I close it when I'm done. Yeah, come to think of it, it is kinda flaky. If I leave the window open, it eventually freezes. And when I've started it from the menu, it has gotten confused a few times.
fsmithred

Re: wicd status screen and window

Postby cynwulf » December 18th, 2017, 8:31 am

I suggest just getting rid and configuring your network properly via the interfaces config file. You don't need some tray applet thing to tell you your network is up. Debian-like distributions have always had built in support for bringing up the network, whether wired or wireless, on boot.
cynwulf

Return to Refracta