Issues with Live Image on Mint 18.3

Post your questions about Refracta here.

Issues with Live Image on Mint 18.3

Postby BoneZ » December 9th, 2018, 8:01 pm

So I created an ISO, which seemed to go just fine. Then put it on a USB. When I run the Live USB This is what I get:

After a couple of minutes of doing that non-stop, this is what it looks like at the end:

I don't have any Network File Systems attached. Or even know what that is about. I even disabled the network in Mint 18.3 completely. And also clicked on "forget network" in the network settings. The above still happens. Any help would be appreciated to get this working.

Thank you!
BoneZ

Re: Issues with Live Image on Mint 18.3

Postby golinux » December 9th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Check /var/log/refractasnapshot_errors.log for clues
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby BoneZ » December 10th, 2018, 12:43 am

golinux wrote:Check /var/log/refractasnapshot_errors.log for clues

Being a Linux noob, I looked over the error log, and there's nothing there that stands out about the NFS mounting error. Or anything close. The log really means nothing to me. So, if someone else would like to take a look at it:

https://github.com/bonez214/refractalog ... errors.log
BoneZ

Postby cynwulf » December 10th, 2018, 9:05 am

Unless I'm missing something obvious, you seem to be running Linux Mint? Moving to Technical Talk.

//edit: nadir, fair enough - back it goes.

(nothing to see here, carry on)
cynwulf

Postby nodir » December 10th, 2018, 9:28 am

cynwulf wrote:Unless I'm missing something obvious, you seem to be running Linux Mint? Moving to Technical Talk.

I guess he asks about one of the refracta-tools, hence put it in the refracta-subsection.
nodir

Postby fsmithred » December 10th, 2018, 8:10 pm

Try booting with init=<something sane>
something sane would be '/bin/bash' to get a root shell. Maybe /sbin/init (which it says doesn't exist - is it in /usr/sbin/ now?) or some other location of init or systemd that I don't recall right now. (/lib/systemd/systemd?) What's your init system, anyway?

Check fstab when you get there to see if there's an entry for nfs mount.

Maybe you need to rebuild the initrd before making the snapshot. I don't know if systemd has something that tries to mount nfs. Maybe dig around in there for a bit. (update-initramfs -u)

I assume you got the right versions of live-config-whatever and live-boot-whatever from the ibiblio site.
If you used the cli installer, run it with the -d option if you didn't already do that. (The latest graphical versions always run in debug mode.)
fsmithred

Postby BoneZ » December 14th, 2018, 4:11 am

fsmithred wrote:I assume you got the right versions of live-config-whatever and live-boot-whatever from the ibiblio site.

I did. When I installed them, Refracta Snapshot didn't seem to be working. They also said there were newer versions, which I updated to. Then Refracta Snapshot worked after that. But then Im getting the above errors. Everything else you all have said beyond this is Greek to me since I'm a Linux noob.

Does it matter which version of Mint 18.3 is installed? Like the downloaded version, but no updates that work with the live tools on ibiblio site? Or does it not matter whether Mint 18.3 is updated to work with those tools?

It would be really great if there were a guide or something that shows which versions of Linux that Snapshot works on, and how to get Snapshot working on those distros. I think Snapshot is amazing at being able to take a distro, add whatever apps and settings that are needed, and be able to save that to a USB or CD and use that on multiple computers anywhere. I know live CD's can do that. However, Live CD's cannot utilize things like video drivers. That's where Refracta Snapshot comes in very handy.

I just wish there were easier ways to be able to install and use Snapshot without this much hassle.
BoneZ

Postby fsmithred » December 16th, 2018, 8:16 pm

There's this thread at the old forum. If there's no info about mint 18 in it, you can search that forum. I'm sure there was some discussion about it that led me to upload the live-* packages for mint 17 and 18.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/refract ... -t111.html

It shouldn't matter if the mint was upgraded after install. (unless mint has become a rolling release.) Any 18.x should work.

Did you try rebuilding the initrd? (run 'update-initramfs -u' and then make another snapshot..)

I poked around a bit in live-boot scripts and initramfs scripts, but I couldn't figure out what's making it try to mount nfs. Are there any nfs lines in your fstab? There's also an etc/fstab inside the initrd.img. I don't know if it's possible that there's an entry for nfs in it. Mine is empty. To check yours, run /usr/lib/refractasnapshot/nocrypt.sh and then look at /home/bonz/nocrypt/etc/fstab. Don't worry, that script won't change the initrd that you use for booting. It'll copy initrd.img to your home and also leave a modified copy called initrd.nocrypt.img. You can delete those and the nocrypt dir when you're done looking.

Also check /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/nfs-top and .../nfs-bottom. On my system, those directories are empty. If there are any scripts in yours, please paste them somewhere so I can see them.

Sorry I don't have a clear fix for you. This is the first time I've heard of this problem.
fsmithred

Return to Refracta