Failed LiveUSB

Post your questions about Refracta here.

Failed LiveUSB

Postby MXKx20 » November 14th, 2017, 1:44 am

Ok. Got the system just how I wanted for a backup system(kinda), then I go to make a snapshot.

I put the file (let's call it 1.iso) on a usb then migrate to a windows machine to use rufus to create a liveusb from 1.iso. On the liveboot the menu screen greets me with ONLY the help option. Weird and not helpful, so I dismiss it and start from scratch.

Now I have a new iso (2.iso) When 2.iso is made into a liveusb I'm greeted with something much different.

This is the one of the usbs I've been using with no problems.
https://imgur.com/EzeMeBF

Nothing i've dug up yet says specifically "/isolinux/versamenu.c32" but the file is in the usblive filesystem.
MXKx20

Re: Failed LiveUSB

Postby fsmithred » November 14th, 2017, 12:48 pm

I have no idea what rufus does, but it looks like it screwed up the creation of the syslinux directory or the boot menu. What did you do differently in the creation of the two isos?

To create a usb that will just be used for installing the system, you can dd the image to the thumb drive. For a live-usb that I'm going to use as the OS, I use refracta2usb and set up persistent volumes.
fsmithred

Re: Failed LiveUSB

Postby MXKx20 » November 15th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Solved. THanks. On my old Debain dd usually didn't work correctly. Thanks for the reminder of dd fsmithred

Used this and it worked out great:
Code: Select all
dd bs=4M if=snapshot.iso of=/dev/sdX && sync
MXKx20

Return to Refracta