GuixSD (BETA)

Talk about other distros you are working on or playing around with.

GuixSD (BETA)

Postby tmp » August 4th, 2017, 7:46 pm

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/

So, I've started dabbling in cooking and found that I really enjoy the "recipe" analogy used to describe Free Software and its ideals.

What intrigues me about GuixSD (pronounced "Geeks" as in "there are a bunch of geeks in my apartment playing HeroClix") is that the entire system is developed along a recipe mindset. This definitely helps with parsing data for changes and the like.

I'm ordering an Atheros based wi-fi card to use in an old Dell laptop as the mini PCI-e card which originally shipped with the system uses non-free drivers. Once I have that (it should arrive next week) I can begin testing GuixSD on this machine.
tmp

Re: GuixSD (BETA)

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 6th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Since GNU is a project tighty intertwined with Red Hat and supports Red Hat's agenda, I have to wonder how strictly Guix adheres to the ideals of free software.

On a side note, the ideals of free software are little more than nostalgia at this point. With Linux development now controlled by a few large companies, those ideals are quickly being pushed out of Linuxland.
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby cynwulf » August 7th, 2017, 1:44 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Since GNU is a project tighty intertwined with Red Hat and supports Red Hat's agenda, I have to wonder how strictly Guix adheres to the ideals of free software.

Not strictly true, while freedesktop.org, gnome project, systemd et al are all quite affiliated with Red Hat, GNU/FSF itself is not simply Red Hat, "intertwined".

However I do think FSF just gives software the nod based on it's usage of the GPL. It doesn't seem like design philosophy comes into it much (if at all).

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:On a side note, the ideals of free software are little more than nostalgia at this point. With Linux development now controlled by a few large companies, those ideals are quickly being pushed out of Linuxland.

I don't see the ideals of free software as "nostalgic", but it does seem like history will show the GPL (particularly v3) to be an own goal in terms of preserving freedoms. As you say, corporations now have far more influence than they should have - among them some of the biggest opponents of freedom from the RMS/FSF shitlist.
cynwulf

Postby tmp » August 7th, 2017, 2:01 pm

cynwulf wrote:However I do think FSF just gives software the nod based on it's usage of the GPL. It doesn't seem like design philosophy comes into it much (if at all).

I have noticed that as well. Sometimes it feels like the philosophy can be stressed too much like in the case of GNU Hurd with a microkernel architecture versus monolithic as in the kernel Linux.

cynwulf wrote:I don't see the ideals of free software as "nostalgic", but it does seem like history will show the GPL (particularly v3) to be an own goal in terms of preserving freedoms. As you say, corporations now have far more influence than they should have - among them some of the biggest opponents of freedom from the RMS/FSF shitlist.

GPLv3 helps with the anti-"Tivoization" clause. I have faith that Free Software will live on as long as there are still people willing to keep the torch lit.
tmp

Return to Other Distros