A new Devuan forum - dev1galaxy.org

Talk about other distros you are working on or playing around with.

A new Devuan forum - dev1galaxy.org

Postby nauved » November 30th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Announcing https://dev1galaxy.org . . . a new Devuan forum powered by Devuan (of course) and FluxBB. Hopefully will grow into a thriving and resource-rich community for Devuan users.
May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Re: A new Devuan forum - dev1galaxy.org

Postby cynwulf » December 1st, 2016, 3:49 pm

I do believe you're spamming...? :D

I have some questions:

1) Who are the secret "collective" of forum admins and why the secrecy? (Sounds fishy to me, push for more transparency, maybe a democratic forum........)

2) Who is funding it / paying the bills?

3) As you're one of the moderators, does that mean the users who disagree with you simply get banned? :lol:

4) If someone were to create an account and start posting about how good systemd is, what would be the response from the secret admin collective / moderators? :roll:

5) Would a linuxquestions.org distro subsection not have sufficed? Better exposure surely:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ro-513876/
cynwulf

Postby nauved » December 1st, 2016, 4:14 pm

cynwulf wrote:I do believe you're spamming...? :D

I have some questions:

1) Who are the secret "collective" of forum admins and why the secrecy? (Sounds fishy to me, push for more transparency, maybe a democratic forum........)

me, fsmithred and a few others (not known here) are in the mix. We are not chest-thumpers. But if you'd looked at the list of who registered when, you could have figured it out for yourself. ;)

cynwulf wrote:2) Who is funding it / paying the bills?

Me

cynwulf wrote:3) As you're one of the moderators, does that mean the users who disagree with you simply get banned? :lol:

Just the spammers who are already at our door. BTW . . . also an admin. ;)

cynwulf wrote:4) If someone were to create an account and start posting about how good systemd is, what would be the response from the secret admin collective / moderators? :roll:

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

cynwulf wrote:5) Would a linuxquestions.org distro subsection not have sufficed? Better exposure surely:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ro-513876/

No. Devuan is a world unto itself. :) Besides, I've rarely even gone to that site. It's never felt 'right' to me.

Thanks for the kind supportive words (as always). LOL!
nauved

Postby cynwulf » December 1st, 2016, 6:57 pm

nauved wrote:me, fsmithred and a few others (not known here) are in the mix. We are not chest-thumpers. But if you'd looked at the list of who registered when, you could have figured it out for yourself. ;)

I could have done, but decided to ask instead just for the sake of posting something...
nauved wrote:Me

6) how long before it's: "I pay for this, you're all banned", etc? :)

nauved wrote:Just the spammers who are already at our door. BTW . . . also an admin. ;)

The spammers are always an instant problem for even the newest, uninteresting and low traffic of forums.

nauved wrote:We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

You probably need a plan, because it's bound to happen a lot and soon. Expect a lot of troll threads - but I'm sure you knew that anyway... mailing lists deter the cretins, forums tend to suck them right in...

nauved wrote:No. Devuan is a world unto itself. :) Besides, I've rarely even gone to that site. It's never felt 'right' to me.

Fair points (but LQ isn't that bad... i.e. not as bad as I used to think it was, it just has to be approached and used differently).

nauved wrote:Thanks for the kind supportive words (as always). LOL!

Always happy to oblige... ;)

(but no, seriously I wish you all well with that)
cynwulf

Postby nauved » December 1st, 2016, 8:22 pm

Thanks. I've just written up a modified No Code of Conduct! Even you might approve!
nauved

Postby cynwulf » December 2nd, 2016, 3:59 pm

Well it seems that said content was found to be objectionable, for one person anyway? :P

Well I didn't see the original unabridged, uncensored and politically incorrect edition..... :lol:

Ah, fun times are ahead for you...

Personally I would never seriously administer a forum again. I "help out" here, but johndeere is the admin/owner, that's pretty much it. pick2, much to his credit, does and has done for years, most of the spam removal, etc. But really we're just a "ghost town" here and there probably isn't much point continuing next year (as there wasn't the year before, or before that, or.....).

I mentioned a linuxquestions subform, because it will give the exposure to the project and someone else will handle all of the tedious administration/moderation bollocks. Personally I don't think it's down to personal likes/dislikes of LQ and how it does things, it's more about 'what is best for the Devuan project' and that's probably to have an LQ section.

£0.02
cynwulf

Postby nauved » December 2nd, 2016, 4:29 pm

cynwulf wrote:Well it seems that said content was found to be objectionable, for one person anyway? :P

And I didn't think to save a copy. It was something like 'this is not a therapy or support group for emotions/ feelings . . . Grow up!' It was a little harsh. And Steve's advice was good. I've asked him to remove his post as I don't want to get into 'editing/censoring' what is posted there.

cynwulf wrote:Ah, fun times are ahead for you...

Sarcasm noted. It is proving to be quite time consuming. Hopefully help will appear on the horizon . . .

cynwulf wrote:Personally I would never seriously administer a forum again. I "help out" here, but johndeere is the admin/owner, that's pretty much it. pick2, much to his credit, does and has done for years, most of the spam removal, etc. But really we're just a "ghost town" here and there probably isn't much point continuing next year (as there wasn't the year before, or before that, or.....).

For me the only point of this forum is the history and the people who rebelled against changes that signaled the beginning of the end of Debian as we knew it.

cynwulf wrote:I mentioned a linuxquestions subform, because it will give the exposure to the project and someone else will handle all of the tedious administration/moderation bollocks. Personally I don't think it's down to personal likes/dislikes of LQ and how it does things, it's more about 'what is best for the Devuan project' and that's probably to have an LQ section.

Well, we're committed now. We'll either swim or sink.
nauved

Postby cynwulf » December 2nd, 2016, 4:53 pm

nauved wrote:'this is not a therapy or support group for emotions/ feelings . . . Grow up!'

Now that sounds more like it... but yes Steve is probably right - you don't want to scare users off, etc.

nauved wrote:It is proving to be quite time consuming.

Early days yet...

nauved wrote:For me the only point of this forum is the history and the people who rebelled against changes that signaled the beginning of the end of Debian as we knew it.

I think, in a way, we rebelled against 'corporate Linux' and the needy, demanding and entitled types "flooding in from 'buntu"... The 'other forum' administration at the time saw catering to/adapting to this as inevitable, or even subscribed to it fully - we saw it as unnecessary and maybe even downright unethical and disrespectful to the existing user base. The 'sheriffs' decided to clean up the town, the rest is history.

In my view the attitudes of the forum admin only reflected the attitudes of the Debian project as a whole - I encountered similar on the mailing list at the time of this site's founding. The project, did not see the need for the forum anyway, did not use it, never have and probably never will. It's there under sufferance and the admin behaved as if they were the saviours, doing everyone a big favour by even keeping it open at all.

In the end and after more and more buntu'isms, I simply decided to give up on Debian for good (and systemd pretty much sealed it that I'd never return). I've made one or two steps/changes, but never really looked back.

nauved wrote:Well, we're committed now. We'll either swim or sink.

Of course.
cynwulf

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » December 2nd, 2016, 11:01 pm

The officially unofficial Devuan Forum!
Cute. :D
I have already started thinking of ideas for troll posts. I just need to think of a good user name. Deadone, Devwhat, systemd_rules ... :lol:

nauved wrote:
cynwulf wrote:I mentioned a linuxquestions subform, because it will give the exposure to the project and someone else will handle all of the tedious administration/moderation bollocks. Personally I don't think it's down to personal likes/dislikes of LQ and how it does things, it's more about 'what is best for the Devuan project' and that's probably to have an LQ section.

Well, we're committed now. We'll either swim or sink.
You could do both. From what I remember, having a section on LQ only requires a project developer to be available to answer questions.
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby nodir » December 3rd, 2016, 7:00 am

I guess i too belong to the ones who don't look back. Well: anymore.
Just installed kFreeBSD on an old laptop, but only because i couldn't use a USB, didn't boot from it, and all other CD's were old and broken. I need it mainly to backup my files once a week (boot, rsync, shutdown again).

Anyway: good luck and all.
As long it's fun anything is fine, in my book.
nodir

Return to Other Distros