Convenience of the cloud exposed.

All topics relating to computer security and internet privacy. Please try to keep it technical related and leave political diatribes at the door.

Convenience of the cloud exposed.

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » July 19th, 2014, 1:26 am

For some reason, many people do not believe using a so-called cloud for data storage can be insecure and dismiss any other arguments against it, such as control over data. There is no point in discussing the security of "the cloud" since we are aware of the issue, but the myth of cloud storage convenience is beginning to hit home.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/how-can-i-retrieve-my-files-4175511552/
Wonderfully convenient.
Seagat Apps and Software
Seaget software and apps help you manage your content wherever you are. Available for mobile, tablet, or desktop devices on iOS and Android platforms.

But the convenience comes at a price. (A concept that should be common sense, but . . . )
Data Recovery Services
Get your files back Easily from your desktop, laptop or tablet. Seagate Recovery Services help you migrate, restore and optimise your data quickly and affordably.
Affordably recover files is more than $400. :shock:
To me, this aspect of cloud computing is just as concerning as security. Giving control of one's data to someone else not only creates the danger of data being accessed by, or given to, others, but access to data can be denied to the owner. In this case, the cloud company is up-front. They provide a service for a fee, but it makes the potential control issues apparent.

Why the person who started that thread does not have back-up copies is another matter outside the scope of this issue. (Probably because making back-up copies is inconvenient.)
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Re: Convenience of the cloud exposed.

Postby allthatisthecase » September 20th, 2014, 10:08 am

This is a thing where convenience will win over privacy and security concerns.
"As long as you have nothing to hide, nothing will happen to you."
"Put your tinfoil hats on!"
Bla, bla.

The thing is that those are in no way valuable arguments and they do not invalidate the fact that, as soon as you're online, people can theoretically get your data. Offline storage is the only way to secure your data. The only thing cloud storage is good for is hosting. I can put scripts and other legal and non-incriminating data on Dropbox et al. to share with others.
allthatisthecase

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » September 20th, 2014, 11:26 am

I have not read the details, only seen the headlines, but recently there was a story about someone hacking into, gaining, and distributing private photos of a few celebrities. From what little I gleaned from the headlines, apparently those celebrities were storing or sending private photographs over the internet. :roll: And they were angry about the invasion of their privacy. :roll: :roll:
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby allthatisthecase » September 20th, 2014, 11:47 am

And probably also very angry about the bonus public attention they coincidentally needed after a hiatus and just as their new feature film is about to come into cinemas.
allthatisthecase

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » September 20th, 2014, 12:26 pm

Possibly. I have no idea what is happeing in Hollywood, other than they continue to churn out terrible movies.
Randicus Draco Albus

Return to Security/Privacy-Related