Psst! Your phone is snooping on you.

All topics relating to computer security and internet privacy. Please try to keep it technical related and leave political diatribes at the door.

Re: Psst! Your phone is snooping on you.

Postby dilberts_left_nut » August 29th, 2014, 11:46 am

debil wrote:The whole thing bugs me. I hate the thought of my every move/action practically being recorded in databases/logfiles here and there. Be it app developers' server or Google's/Apple's/Microsoft's/<add-your-chosen-manufacturer>.
+1
But then, thinking from a techno-practical viewpoint: carrying one smartphone VS. laptop/netbook, a GPS device, digital camera, maps etc. The smartphone wins hands down. Of course, there are still cons,

+1 again.
I have one, but I try to be careful about using it to MY advantage and try to turn off what I can find out about and don't want.
There is also a chance that anyone tracking my life's comings and goings could well expire from boredom at the moment anyway.
I suppose I might be more concerned if I was an international man of mystery on a secret mission of global importance. ... but I haven't done one of those in a while ;)
detly wrote:What's wrong with RTFM as an answer when the answer is clearly in The FM and requires only cursory Ring?
dilberts_left_nut

Postby allthatisthecase » August 29th, 2014, 11:51 am

Wish it were that simple for me... :lol:
I think my main problem is that my mind wanders while walking or travelling. When I make an effort, I can memorise landmarks and such...
The worst thing is the constant change from underground to the surface.
allthatisthecase

Postby debil » August 29th, 2014, 3:05 pm

dilberts_left_nut wrote:I have one, but I try to be careful about using it to MY advantage and try to turn off what I can find out about and don't want.

If I end up getting one, that's my plan too.

allthatisthecase wrote:I think my main problem is that my mind wanders while walking or travelling. When I make an effort, I can memorise landmarks and such...

Absolutely. I blame my Ne (MBTI) for that :D
Ultimimate fanboi edition contributor
debil

Postby allthatisthecase » August 29th, 2014, 3:28 pm

lol.

What phone do you have? I've got an old Samsung Ace with Cyanogenmod 7.2. I think this is as open source as one can get with the phone still working (a sort of Ubuntu open source with blobs, but at least I don't have to use a google account.)
allthatisthecase

Postby golinux » August 29th, 2014, 3:34 pm

This was in the Washington Post a few days ago. It just keeps getting worse.
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby allthatisthecase » August 29th, 2014, 3:39 pm

golinux wrote:This was in the Washington Post a few days ago. It just keeps getting worse.

I like how this article immediately turns racist :lol:

The world’s most powerful intelligence services, such as the National Security Agency and Britain’s GCHQ, long have used cellphone data to track targets around the globe. But experts say these new systems allow less technically advanced governments to track people in any nation

:o
allthatisthecase

Postby debil » August 29th, 2014, 6:26 pm

allthatisthecase wrote:What phone do you have?

Oh, it's an old Nokia, but lately it's been getting crankier and crankier. I'll have to buy a new phone in coming months. If it's going to be a similar dumbphone (not going for Nokia anymore though) or a "smart" phone, that's what I'm trying to decide here.

allthatisthecase wrote:I've got an old Samsung Ace with Cyanogenmod 7.2. I think this is as open source as one can get with the phone still working (a sort of Ubuntu open source with blobs, but at least I don't have to use a google account.)

In addition there seems to be some privacy-oriented versions (Blackphone comes to mind), or more "open source" based projects like Jolla, but they're both above my budget anyways.
Ultimimate fanboi edition contributor
debil

Postby meandean1 » August 29th, 2014, 8:04 pm

I keep wifi turned off. When I want to use it a quick swipe, tap, and short wait and I am good to go.
I keep network data turned off. When I want to use it a quick swipe, tap, and I am good to go.
I do not sign into google services as I do not have a google account.

I like to think that all of that keeps snooping to a minimum, or at least lessens it. It also saves battery life.

I grab 60-90 dollar phone on ebay, throw it on my ting account, and have a do-all device that I only pay for what I use.

I find it very handy to have a smartphone. I cannot see myself doing without one again . I use it for so many things.
meandean1

Postby FretfulMother » August 29th, 2014, 11:10 pm

I don't think that works
(or better: that is what i hear and read all the time).
You can be tracked by your phone simply being powered on (if you don't use certain services doesn't mean they can't be used by others).
Powering it off is no big help neither.
The only option: remove the "battery".

As far i see it's three powers who track you (by different means):
google (as android)
the ISP
the fabricator
All three can gain access to the home LAN (assuming at home one connects to it, duh). I assume, and i also assume they work hard to be able to.
All three probably got contracts with spy agencies (NSA, etc. Saying is future drones will send drones who murder based on metadata catched from phones. Automatically. No need for Mr. Obama to sign it anymore, on Tuesday. iow: No need for human action).

I am pretty sure someone (called me) once linked to a video about smartphones and what you do to yourself by using them (using in the meaning of: the battery is inside of it).

" a do-all device "
You must be kidding. I hear that all the time. What is that "do-all" ? And does it go well? Mainly: does it go fast (faster than quickly booting a PC and using a real device).

@debil: Well, get a used one. Chances are not that bad to get in touch with a drone in that case ... :-)

Don't get me wrong:
As far it is me one might use a smartphone. But i wouldn't assume one can (easily) trick it into behaving slightly better (privacy related). In the end that is the main function of it (to track you). They are not that dumb (to not be able to track you, even _if you do x or y or z).
FretfulMother

Postby FretfulMother » August 29th, 2014, 11:18 pm

First of all it feels ultra cool to say:
I got no phone
if one is asked.
(He says: Why? Me says: I don't need one. He says: Why? I say: I don't think it's any of your business. He: gives up and tries to make the cool offer to the next poor dog).

The reaction of other people is priceless.
Mainly the folks who carry theirs around, all the time in their hand, holding it close and tight .... babbling "my treasure ... oh my treasure ... them wants it ... my treasure ... but it is mine. It is miiiiine. My treasure. Mine. Mine. Mine. ..."
FretfulMother

PreviousNext

Return to Security/Privacy-Related