Psst! Your phone is snooping on you.

All topics relating to computer security and internet privacy. Please try to keep it technical related and leave political diatribes at the door.

Re: Psst! Your phone is snooping on you.

Postby FretfulMother » July 27th, 2014, 7:47 pm

twitter isn't bad.
I gave up on it, but one can get really good info on twitter.
FretfulMother

Postby notthatguy » July 28th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Lou wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2014/jul/16/phone-snooping-how-to-stop-video

That sounded more like an apple commercial slamming android phones. Yea i am sure iphones are the epitome of privacy...

I use a android phone, dont even have a google account either. It works for what I need it for.
notthatguy

Postby Lou » August 2nd, 2014, 1:40 pm

I don't know what an Android phone is, i have a $20 samsung little phone that gives me the basic, when i travel to other towns. :D
Debian Jessie w/o systemd - icewm
Lou

Postby debil » August 29th, 2014, 9:17 am

The whole thing bugs me. I hate the thought of my every move/action practically being recorded in databases/logfiles here and there. Be it app developers' server or Google's/Apple's/Microsoft's/<add-your-chosen-manufacturer>. Just that is enough for me to stick to my trusted five year old dumbphone.

But then, thinking from a techno-practical viewpoint: carrying one smartphone VS. laptop/netbook, a GPS device, digital camera, maps etc. The smartphone wins hands down. Of course, there are still cons, most importantly crappy battery life, which on longer journeys is a biggie.

Any opinions on the issue? Of course, it's basically a question of personal values more than anything. Nowadays one can easily admit that the battle of privacy is lost anyway, so it really doesn't matter which way to go... To get a smartphone or not. (Not == getting a new dumbphone but if travelling the luggage weight becomes a potential issue.) In essence, do the pros outweigh the cons in _your_opinion?_
Ultimimate fanboi edition contributor
debil

Postby allthatisthecase » August 29th, 2014, 9:25 am

Things like Google Maps are hard to resist if e.g. you live in a city. Very practical.
We tend to ignore all that as long as we're not bothered by the ones controlling our data.
But what if some day your employer can follow your tracks just based on some devices?
In most countries you're theroetically doing something illegal if not carrying ID.
A lot of ID cards now have RFID chips. How long before you're required to let your
children have a chip implanted under the skin?

/me is building tinfoil hat...
allthatisthecase

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 29th, 2014, 9:32 am

allthatisthecase wrote:Things like Google Maps are hard to resist if e.g. you live in a city.

I have always found buying a paper map when new to a city is sufficient. After riding around for a month or two and occasionally looking at the map, the city's layout quickly becomes familiar. After that, there is no need for a map of any kind. I do not need Google's help.
Klingons are fun, but female Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby allthatisthecase » August 29th, 2014, 10:43 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:
allthatisthecase wrote:Things like Google Maps are hard to resist if e.g. you live in a city.

I have always found buying a paper map when new to a city is sufficient. After riding around for a month or two and occasionally looking at the map, the city's layout quickly becomes familiar. After that, there is no need for a map of any kind. I do not need Google's help.

No, sorry, not for my needs. I prefer a tool where I can quickly map out a route if I have to get from A to B to C. This is easier for me than drawing something on a map. I'd have to photocopy maps all the time and do that.
A way to get around that for me is to plot the course on a map, make a screenshot and use that screenshot on my phone instead of letting Google track me on the go. I should look into openstreetmaps though... Any client suggestions?
allthatisthecase

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 29th, 2014, 10:55 am

Any client suggestions?
Sorry, no. Never used such things. I have always planned my travel routes in my in my head. My brain cannot understand computers, but it quickly becomes familiar with new terrain.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby allthatisthecase » August 29th, 2014, 11:20 am

For me maps are a bigbangsend, since I sadly have a poor sense of orientation. It's getting better ever since I moved to a big city, but it still needs work. :lol:
allthatisthecase

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » August 29th, 2014, 11:26 am

allthatisthecase wrote:I sadly have a poor sense of orientation.
The sun rises in the west and sets in the east. Easy to remember. :D
Randicus Draco Albus

PreviousNext

Return to Security/Privacy-Related