Psst! Your phone is snooping on you.

All topics relating to computer security and internet privacy. Please try to keep it technical related and leave political diatribes at the door.

Re: Psst! Your phone is snooping on you.

Postby allthatisthecase » July 20th, 2014, 10:17 am

Meanwhile...

Wikipedia wrote:
Wikipedia article on former football club president Uli Hoeneß

On 20 April 2013, it was reported that Hoeneß was being investigated for tax evasion.[11] He was reported to have held a Swiss bank account for the purpose of evading taxes due on investment income, and to owe between €3.2 million and €7 million in taxes to the German state.[12] The reports came after journalists "gained access to a document meant only for internal use by tax officials."[13] Prosecutors from Munich carried out raids in offices of two Bavarian tax offices after Hoeneß filed a complaint.[13] Despite increasing public criticism, Hoeneß has remained in his position as president and chairman of the supervisory board of Bayern Munich.[14]

Hoeneß was accused of tax evasion[15] and his trial began on 10 March 2014.[15] The FC Bayern München AG supervisory board had a "unanimous opinion" that Hoeneß should continue in his role despite being sent to trial.[16]

During the trial, he admitted evading 28.5 million Euros in taxes.[17] He was subsequently found guilty of seven serious counts of tax evasion and sentenced to three and a half years in prison on 13 March 2014.[18] The following day he resigned from his roles as President of Bayern Munich e.V. and chairman of the board of Bayern Munich AG and announced that he would not be appealing against his sentence.[18][19]

Hoeneß will serve his sentence at Landsberg Prison.[20] During the first 2 weeks of his sentence, Hoeneß will stay in a "larger" cell with a cellmate "for medical reasons" to adjust to life behind bars.[20] After the initial two weeks, he will move into a single cell.[20] However, Hoeneß didn't report to prison until 2 June 2014 at Landsberg Prison.[21] He wants to begin to serve his sentence at another prison and has sumitted a request to transfer from Landsberg Prison.[22]

There was an alleged attempt to extort €200,000 from Hoeneß whereby he and his family would be subjected to violence unless he paid up. A man was arrested in connection with this.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uli_Hoeneß
allthatisthecase

Postby Randicus Draco Albus » July 20th, 2014, 10:54 am

Did the government discover his tax evasion by watching his telephone or monitoring his internet activity?
Klingons are fun, but Romulans are the sexiest women in the galaxy.
Randicus Draco Albus

Postby allthatisthecase » July 20th, 2014, 11:14 am

Not sure, but it surely treated him better than a shoplifter.
allthatisthecase

Postby FretfulMother » July 20th, 2014, 5:53 pm

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:Did the government discover his tax evasion by watching his telephone or monitoring his internet activity?

He told it to them himself.
In Germany, if you tell it yourself _before the tax agency figures it out, you won't get a punishment. The german word ist "Selbstanzeige" (Selbt: self and anzeige: to lodge a complaint). You have to pay the overdue taxes, and thats about it.

Why did he tell himself? I can't remember, but i think a banker from Swiss told it a german reporter, Hoeness got that info and then went for "Selbstanzeige", to not have to go to court (he did it wrong and he didn't give all the info. At the beginning people talked of, say, 1 million Euro, during the trial it soon were 28 million of Euros. How much it really was we will never know (tax evasion gets kept track of only for 10 years. If he would have done it right he would have "get away with it").

As far i can tell pretty much everyone of the rich do it (partly with the help of laws, so legal, but illegal, against the laws which treat them friendly, too. Like Hoeness and Schwarzer). The same people, btw, which discuss in TV shows if we can affort a minimum wage (8.50, which is too little to make a living from anyway). There are exceptions, of course. But the general trend is: "We do what we want, because "we can"" (<- ultra lol).

-
"spying" on criminals is not the problem (and Hoeness, plain and simple, is a criminal). To spy on everyone and hope that by doing that one will catch one or two criminals is the usual definition of a police state. First the executives need a "reasonable suspicion" (begründeter Verdacht), then they "act". That would be the way in a state under the rule of the law (Rechtsstaat). It is a good idea, and we gave up on it way too lighthearted (hoping for more security, i guess).
FretfulMother

Postby FretfulMother » July 20th, 2014, 5:58 pm

And there is a really big scandal.
German agencies "buy" CD's with infos about people who commit tax evasion.
The CD's are created by "hackers" or "crackers"
Which means they support illegal activities to get info they are interested in (the result might be good for the citizens or tax payers, but it is against any common sense and the state under the rule of law).

Like said: people give up on that idea too lighthearted. They think "but that is good, we will get money from the people who did tax evasion". Nope, it is never good to give up on that idea. Even if one likes the result, the value of the state under the rule of law is much higher (but destroyed easily).
FretfulMother

Postby allthatisthecase » July 21st, 2014, 7:44 am

On another note, the govt. also has an interest in those other private parts of our lives...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/17 ... e_benefit/
allthatisthecase

Postby FretfulMother » July 21st, 2014, 9:06 am

Not that i wouldn't be sexy enough for the NSA ...

wanna selfie?
FretfulMother

Postby allthatisthecase » July 21st, 2014, 9:13 am

They have a separate directory called "freetard_hotties" and I'm sure my private videos are in there.
allthatisthecase

Postby FretfulMother » July 21st, 2014, 9:17 am

freetard

Lol. At we.riseup.net kelsoo came up with the word, iirc he even tried to make a "definition".
FretfulMother

Postby BowCatShot » July 27th, 2014, 11:39 am

Randicus Draco Albus wrote:I should start looking at things like Facebook and Twitter. That way, if someone who lives nearby posts photos of their activities while on vaction, which apparently some people do, I could rob the person's home. It is unlikely I am the first person to recognise such a use for those "services".

Watch out for a sting.
BowCatShot

PreviousNext

Return to Security/Privacy-Related