VM guest shares [Solved]

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

VM guest shares [Solved]

Postby CwF » August 30th, 2017, 6:50 pm

I have a KVM hypervisor on stretch.
Two networks, one wired to a wifi internet router. One intranet, all internal.
There are numurous VM's, debians typically have internet access only and a few have gigolo used to mount windows shares on the internal network. There are XP and W2k VM's all on the intranet and not the internet. The host has no file sharing.

All windows VM's see all others fine. The few debian VM's with gigolo mount shares from XP fine. They can see the 2000 VM, ping fine, and gigolo will list their shares, but will not authenticate and mount. Multiple user/password choices configured and none works. XP<>2000 all fine, Deb>XP fine, Deb>W2k nada?

As I'm digging it seems W2k rejects the logon attempt and I don't know why, same users as would access the XP shares. I'm confused whether this is a W2k issue or a gigolo/gvfs issue. Someday I'll try to build up an autofs/cifs debian I've been wanting to try, but for the moment I'm stuck.

solution: even without samba installed gigolo/gvfs seems to reference smb.conf. I added the file.
[global]
# THE LANMAN FIX
client lanman auth = yes
client ntlmv2 auth = no

no service restarts or installing, just try again and it worked. Basically gigolo has no ntlm switch in its GUI to alter context between NT4/2000 and XP/2003 speak...so I assume...
CwF

Return to System Issues