firmware-linux-nonfree and screen corruption

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

Re: firmware-linux-nonfree and screen corruption

Postby cynwulf » June 18th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I ask this a lot and people in general behave as if I've just dropped from the mother ship: Can you get the source of the stable kernel from here: https://kernel.org/ , build it and install it and see if the problem is reproducible with that kernel?

Debian apply security patches to the stable kernels, but (generally) don't fix broken drivers or functionality. in this case I seem to remember that canonical/ubuntu are supporting the Debian 3.16 kernel because it's EoL upstream.
cynwulf

Postby Mitzi » June 19th, 2015, 12:54 am

Thanks for trying to help.

I've build the latest stable kernel and for some reason it has screen corruption both without and with firmware.

I've never build a kernel before so perhaps I did something wrong. I didn't change any settings in it, only compiled and installed it. :oops:
Mitzi

Postby bulkley » June 19th, 2015, 1:44 am

Let's find out if this is a software problem or hardware. Can you download and burn a live-CD of another distro. Ubuntu, Mint, Open Suse are all good. If it boots and runs properly then something in Debian is causing the problem. If the live-CD doesn't work there is a hardware problem.
bulkley

Postby nodir » June 19th, 2015, 2:48 am

I don't know much about graphic-cards or drivers, because i barely got problems.
I found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st12669968
which seems to indicate that there ain't no solution for the problem.
otoh you said it wouldn't work in fallback mode and it wouldn't work for gdm
If i understand the linked thread correct, i would:
a) remove firmware-linux-nonfree
b) install a window-manager like fluxbox to check if it has the same problem

if you can't even choose fluxbox from gdm, i would
c) disable gdm from starting during boot (with sysv this is easy, sysv-rc-conf, shit knows how it gets done with systemd).
d) create the file ~/.xinitrc :
exec startfluxbox
e) boot the machine, log in on tty and type:
startx

-
You might also want to look at the file:
~/.xsessionerrors
or similar, i don't remember the name (type "vi ./.xsess" and hit the tab key to let it autocomplete. Or do "ls -ahl ~ | grep -i x" or something like that, to find said file)

-
If you want to test different kernels, you can use Debian backports (or even add testing or sid to your sources list, install the kernel and see if that one can handle the situation. You can't do any upgrades while testing or sid repos are enabled ! - assuming you want to still run Debian-stable).
That sure is more easy than to compile a kernel (it is a very quick way to troubleshoot, if it won't help you don't lose much time and still can compile a kernel from kernel.org)

-
And yes, boot some different distros from LiveCD.

-
I would ask in the Debian IRC channel. Back in the days such problems got solved pretty quick over there.
nodir

Postby nodir » June 19th, 2015, 2:57 am

Let me stress again that i don't know much about graphics.

You have got lots of messages about fb (framebuffer) in the Xlog file.
Does that run automatically (while using radeon) ?
Is it possible to disable it?

I for one have wrecked quite some graphics while fiddling with framebuffer (nothing one couldn't repair ...).
nodir

Postby cynwulf » June 19th, 2015, 11:14 am

Mitzi wrote:I've build the latest stable kernel and for some reason it has screen corruption both without and with firmware.

I've never build a kernel before so perhaps I did something wrong. I didn't change any settings in it, only compiled and installed it. :oops:

I suggested you build a kernel, because if you reported a bug, this would have to be reproducible with the latest stable kernel (4.0.x) and there are currently no backported kernel images in jessie-backports so far as I can tell.

But I see now that there is a 4.0.x kernel in the unstable repository. At this early stage in the release I would suggest adding the unstable repository, install the 4.0.x kernel and reboot into that. Disable the repository once you've installed it to prevent an accidental upgrade to the unstable distribution.

There is a guide in the howto section for building a kernel.
cynwulf

Postby Mitzi » June 19th, 2015, 9:19 pm

Thank you both

nodir: I'll try out another window manager and perhaps distros later. I do love Debian and also gnome and those are the ones I'm used to so still hoping to find a solution.

cynwulf: I installed the kernel from the unstable repositories. Unlike the one I build myself this one works without the firmware, but have the same screen corruption as the kernel from stable.
Mitzi

Postby bulkley » June 20th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Mitzi, I have this itch that says 1. I've seen it before but a long time ago and 2. we are looking in the wrong place. Have you tried a live-CD? I find them great for troubleshooting as they bypass what's on the hard drive. I'd also try a WM or XFce because Gnome3 can do weird things.

While I'm at it, have you run a memtest?
bulkley

Postby Mitzi » June 24th, 2015, 4:14 pm

Hello, sorry for late reply. I'll look into things again soon, right now I am so terrible occupied. Thanks again for helping.

Update: I purged gnome-shell and gdm3 and installed gnome-session-flashback and lightdm instead. Working nicely with the firmware.
Mitzi

Postby Mitzi » July 2nd, 2015, 1:35 am

Trying Cinnamon under Debian at the moment. Not sure if it's important to mention or not, but it has two options to chose at start, 'Cinnamon' and 'Cinnamon software rendering'. Both are very laggy, but 'Cinnamon software rendering' has a normal looking screen without distortion.
Mitzi

Previous

Return to System Issues