Macbook pro (debian 8) restarting when powered off

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

Macbook pro (debian 8) restarting when powered off

Postby Bybin » June 15th, 2015, 4:10 am

I just put Debian 8 on a macbook pro and had to use the experimental kernel in order to get the Nividia drivers to work. The weird part is when I shut it down anyway (with the poweroff command, power button, etc.) it turns off then back on like when you use a restart function. Also the power off worked before i installed the Debian experimental kernel (the default one with Jessie).
Bybin

Re: Macbook pro (debian 8) restarting when powered off

Postby Sysiphus » August 17th, 2015, 7:02 am

After having made a full installation of Jessie yesterday I am now encountering exactly the same problem on a normal notebook.

Two, two and a half years ago I had the very same problem while using Ubuntu (don't remember which version). Tried unsuccessfully to solve the problem (even with the help of other users at the time).

Simply gave up and powered down by switching the machine off. Funny thing is that the problem solved itself when the next distro came around.
Given that Ubuntu is based on Debian there may be a clue here? Sorry but that is all I can contribute presently, let's keep in touch.

PS: Happens even with 'shutdown -h now' or 'powerdown' and everything else I have tried.
Sysiphus

Return to System Issues