Jessie: Problem with initramfs-tools?  Topic is solved

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

Re: Jessie: Problem with initramfs-tools?

Postby cynwulf » June 22nd, 2015, 8:28 am

You have a broken system. The initramfs-tools package is marked as installed but update-initramfs is missing.

Try downloading the package and install it manually with dpkg
cynwulf

Postby nodir » June 22nd, 2015, 1:44 pm

Yes, looks pretty broken.

I will say it for the third time now: Try aptitude too.
iow: Hammer at it. There is no need to give info here and wait for someone to say something. The system is broken, and you can do whatever comes to your mind, trying to solve the problem.
nodir

Postby cynwulf » June 22nd, 2015, 2:06 pm

nodir wrote:Yes, looks pretty broken.

I will say it for the third time now: Try aptitude too.
iow: Hammer at it. There is no need to give info here and wait for someone to say something. The system is broken, and you can do whatever comes to your mind, trying to solve the problem.

While aptitude was always my package manager of choice - I'm not sure it will help here until initramfs-tools is reinstalled properly.

Well there's one alternative: Build your own kernel and remove the kernel and initramfs-tools, might work, but that is unnecessary...

Final suggestions:

1) download package and install with dpkg
2) if it won't install, install it with dpkg --force-all (or whatever the option is called)
3) if even that won't do it, extract the deb file and the data.tar.gz file to / and run dpkg --configura - a, then reinstall the initramfs-tools package with aptitude/apt-get
cynwulf

Re: Jessie: Problem with initramfs-tools?  Topic is solved

Postby twerple » June 22nd, 2015, 8:47 pm

Success!

cynwulf wrote:You have a broken system. The initramfs-tools package is marked as installed but update-initramfs is missing.

Try downloading the package and install it manually with dpkg

Somehow I missed this post, or misread it. Sorry.

I'm not really familiar with using aptitude, but I took a shot at removing initramfs-tools. That worked, but installed what appears to me to be RAID stuff.

Code: Select all
root[/home/twerple/Desktop]#  aptitude --safe-resolver remove initramfs-tools
Resolving dependencies...
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  cryptsetup{a} dmeventd{a} dmraid{a} dracut{a} kpartx{a} libdevmapper-event1.02.1{a} libdmraid1.0.0.rc16{a} liblvm2cmd2.02{a} libreadline5{a} lvm2{a}
  mdadm{a}
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  initramfs-tools
The following partially installed packages will be configured:
  linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64

In any case, after a reboot everything appeared to be fine. I proceeded to install initramfs-tools .120 again, and wound up right back where I started, with the same errors.

At this point I started looking at the end of this line:

Code: Select all
/var/lib/dpkg/info/initramfs-tools.postinst: 13: /var/lib/dpkg/info/initramfs-tools.postinst: update-initramfs: not found

I went looking for update-initramfs, and discovered it was missing. I booted into a fresh install of the official release of Jessie, and found update-initramfs right away. It was a link in /usr/sbin, pointing to /bin/live-update-initramfs, which I copied over, and then made the appropriate link. When I ran update-initramfs -u -t, everything fell into place with no errors. I removed mdadm and friends, rebooted several times, and everything seems to be fine now. I have no idea how it got broken in the first place, but my clunky solution seems to have worked.

Please don't think for a minute that all suggestions and help were not greatly appreciated.
twerple

Postby bulkley » June 22nd, 2015, 9:57 pm

Glad you got it working.
bulkley

Postby fsmithred » June 23rd, 2015, 10:47 pm

Since you're not using a live system, you might be better off copying /usr/sbin/update-initramfs.orig.initramfs-tools from the live CD instead of the live version. Pretty sure the live version is provided by the live-tools package. I think you'll only see problems if you're booting an encrypted partition.
fsmithred

Postby twerple » June 24th, 2015, 1:43 am

Thanks.
twerple

Previous

Return to System Issues