wheezy:new kernel cannot run Xorg

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

wheezy:new kernel cannot run Xorg

Postby hipsterical » January 11th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Hell0 to the forums guys.

After applying the latest updates via apper on my older machine -still doing fine with wheezy- there are now 2 images in /boot: 3.2.0.4 AND 3.2.0.5 (default) the latter not really working because Xorg won't start (Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module, no devices detected, no screens found) [I don't know why this update added a new kernel btw].

Attempted to reinstall and reconfigure Xserver-xorg, to no effect. Backed up xorg.conf and attempted to run Xorg --configure that _failed_ (complaining about the missing module nvidia_current if i recall that right). Apart from this, the virtualbox modules won't load either but this is a minor annoyance. ALSO, it appears that my machine still is vulnerable to some version of the new dreaded chip bugs which makes me wonder what were the kernel-and-stuff patches good for. As of today I just set the old working kernel as default in grub and may god's love be with it. Anyone else having issues with old wheezy btw ? Any hints ? Thanks folks. ok maybe updating xorg from gui wasn't the brightest move.
hipsterical

Re: wheezy:new kernel cannot run Xorg

Postby golinux » January 11th, 2018, 6:03 pm

hipsterical wrote:[I don't know why this update added a new kernel btw].

Maybe the new kernel was to address Meltdown?
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby cynwulf » January 11th, 2018, 8:41 pm

hipsterical wrote: (Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module, no devices detected, no screens found)

You can expect this kind of thing from kernel updates with the Nvidia blob installed. It's best to completely purge the blob and just reinstall it for the new kernel. Or if you can do without it, do so. There is really no point in worrying about meldown/spectre mitigations with that thing installed. If nouveau supports your graphics chip, use that instead, but read the documentation and ensure you have power management working correctly.
hipsterical wrote:Thanks folks. ok maybe updating xorg from gui wasn't the brightest move.

All updates should be run via command line apt-get, without X running,
cynwulf

Postby hipsterical » June 5th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Ok, but... what packages exactly do I need to reinstall/reconfigure to get the modules for the new kernel properly compiled and installed ?
hipsterical

Return to System Issues