Nvidia driver doesn't work  Topic is solved

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

Nvidia driver doesn't work

Postby goldim » October 12th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Hi,
I've just installed Debian 9 Stretch and decided to install a nvidia proprietary driver. After installing OS, I executed commands from the site https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... etch-linux but after OS restarting I have an error "Failed to initialize Nvidia kernel module" in log files and black screen. My videocard is GeForce GTX 750.
Can you help me with this issue?
goldim

Re: Nvidia driver doesn't work

Postby cynwulf » October 13th, 2017, 8:50 am

You followed someone's random blog rather than 'official' documentation or wikis. Not being in possession of a crystal ball, it's going to be difficult for anyone reading your thread to guess what you've done (or haven't done).

I suggest undoing what you've done and starting from scratch. If you downloaded the nvidia proprietary blob installer script (the .run file), then you can usually run that again with an "--uninstall" option.

Then just undo everything else you've done, particularly any configuration changes.

Then maybe decide if you actually need the proprietary driver. In my experience it's only useful for playing games. The nouveau driver, which is part of the Linux kernel's DRM/KMS graphics stack is usually good enough these days.
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby goldim » October 13th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Thank you for reply, method from the article works for Debian 8 Jessie but not for Debian 9 Stretch.
After OS installing I executed the following instructions:
1)Added contrib non-free to all entries in /etc/sources.list
2)apt update && apt upgrade
3)dpkg --add-architecture i386
4)apt install firmware-linux nvidia-driver nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
5)nvidia-xconfig
Nothing special, just simple instructions. Next time I will read 'official' documentation. Yes, I'm going to play games because I need this proprietary driver. I can add some log files just write me which ones. And during installation there was message "nouveau are installed and the new ones will conflict. You can ignore this".
goldim

Re: Nvidia driver doesn't work  Topic is solved

Postby cynwulf » October 13th, 2017, 9:45 pm

"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby goldim » October 14th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Thanks
goldim

Return to System Issues