Live dvd not mounting ntfs after updating system

Post questions regarding lower-level issues will here.

Live dvd not mounting ntfs after updating system

Postby BowCatShot » April 5th, 2017, 3:30 pm

Howdy

I've got 2 debian live jessie 64 bit systems, mate and xfce.

Initially, they both have no problem mounting ntfs partitions. When clicking the devices in the respective
file managers, mounting proceeds without error.

After doing apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on both systems separately, neither one will mount
ntfs partitions, either manually with mount commands or thru the respective file managers.

Searched all over and cannot find a clue as to what's gone wrong.
Here's the error message:.

Unable to mount location

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/user/MyBook: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/user/MyBook"' exited with non-zero exit status 21: modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'fuse': Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root
BowCatShot

Re: Live dvd not mounting ntfs after updating system

Postby Monsie » April 7th, 2017, 12:52 am

Hi BowCatShot,

The current ntfs-3g package is the third update so far in Jessie. Although it works for me in my dual boot setup, I am wondering if it is buggy in your scenario. You might try installing a later package found in Stretch to see if that works --providing you can meet its dependencies...

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My username is pronounced: "Munsee" and is based on my nick name in High School.
Monsie

Re: Live dvd not mounting ntfs after updating system

Postby BowCatShot » April 7th, 2017, 1:19 am

Thank you, Monsie, I'll definitely pursue that.

Given that things worked fine in the original burn of the live dvd, I wonder if it's possible to go backwards rather than forwards. That way the dependencies should be met. Perhaps trying to get the package from Wheezy.
BowCatShot

Return to System Issues