HDMI Out-put on Debian 9 not working?

Use this forum for questions related to graphics, sound or desktop environments.

HDMI Out-put on Debian 9 not working?

Postby javik » September 1st, 2017, 5:43 am

I am wondering why the HDMI out-put from my Laptop monitor is not displaying on my TV screen. The wallpaper on the Laptop is displayed on the TV screen but nothing else that is on the laptop screen comes on the TV. For example the touch-pad movements, Any app that are open, browser, or any file on the desktop does not show up in the TV screen. Only the background wallpaper is seen on the screen.

My requirement is to stream content on to my TV (TV not a smart TV). I do not require my laptop screen to be functional at the same time as my TV screen.

I have done a full upgrade on debian 9 I even tried debian 8 on different device same issue.

How can I resolve this problem? What should I do? I am a novice so please explain in simple steps.
Last edited by javik on September 4th, 2017, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
javik

Re: HDMI Out-put on Debian 9 not working?

Postby javik » September 4th, 2017, 3:54 am

I was able to figure something out over the weekend. I was able to solve my problem my matching the laptop screen resolution to that of the TV screen. Right clicked on the display and went to display settings. From there on can match resolution. Then turn of my laptop screen from display settings and used only the TV screen.
javik

Re: HDMI Out-put on Debian 9 not working?

Postby jheaton5 » September 8th, 2017, 12:59 pm

I suspect that the resolution on the TV is less than that of the laptop. So what have you gained? It seems like a good exercise but I don't the advantage. How much would a flat screen monitor set you back?
jheaton5

Return to Desktop & Multimedia