Quick fix to associate mind map files with FreeMind

Use this forum for questions related to graphics, sound or desktop environments.

Quick fix to associate mind map files with FreeMind

Postby Monsie » April 4th, 2016, 1:25 am

Hi all,

I have been using FreeMind on occasion to help me with brainstorming around a central idea or project for quite some time now. Recently, I was surprised to discover there was no association with mind map files and FreeMind. In other words, if I were to right click on a mind map created with FreeMind I could not select the program to open it. I discovered this situation only because I happened to put a copy of a mind map on my desktop given that I was working on a project with a friend and accessing the file frequently.

It turns out there is a simple fix. In fact, this bug has been known for several years, for example it was reported by the Ubuntu Community. That said, one would think that a debian packager might have made the fix since the debian team continues to offer the older FreeMind 0.9.0 version since Squeeze... --oh well. The fix appears to have been made in FreeMind 1.0.1

In any event, here is the fix: At the terminal as root, it involves editing the .desktop file for FreeMind. On the line that indicates the command to start FreeMind, one needs to add a space followed by: %U That's it. What this does is include the url parameter as the kind of files that FreeMind can work with since one can add hyperlinks to a mind map and also export any map to html format. Once again, in the FreeMind.desktop file, find the line:
Code: Select all
Exec=/usr/bin/freemind

now,modify it to read:
Code: Select all
 Exec=/usr/bin/freemind %U

Done!

It will still be necessary to use "Open with" on the right click menu but FreeMind will now show up and is the recommended application for mind map files.

Monsie
My username is pronounced: "Munsee" and is based on my nick name in High School.
Monsie

Re: Quick fix to associate mind map files with FreeMind

Postby CwF » March 7th, 2017, 12:42 am

I haven't tried freemind yet. I see the newer versions are not even in testing for stretch, or even sid. Any idea why? I started using cherrytree awhile back and it helps, but the visual layout of this looks interesting.

Ok never mind, I see freeplane is a current alternative, I'll play with that...
CwF

Return to Desktop & Multimedia