Xfce margins

Use this forum for questions related to graphics, sound or desktop environments.

Xfce margins

Postby Grell » June 21st, 2017, 3:07 am

Hello, I am having an issue where my Xfce desktop seems to have new margins that were not there before. What I mean is that my programs when maximized if I were to run the mouse cursor to the far right of the program on screen the mouse goes off the screen beyond the borders of the program's window. Xfce never used to do this and I don't know why I am having this issue now where the mouse goes past the visible screen. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Grell

Re: Xfce margins

Postby nauved » June 21st, 2017, 3:26 am

What release are you on? Jessie or Stretch or Sid?

Xfce on Stretch has moved to GTK3 (as have a lot of other apps) and GTK3 is rather 'unreliable'.

You might want to read this: https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11 ... in-threes/
May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Postby cynwulf » June 22nd, 2017, 2:08 pm

Xfce 4.12 in Debian's stable, testing and unstable branches still seems to be very much gtk+2.0 based.

While I'm no fan of gtk+3.0 and largely agree with the blog you linked, I don't think it is all that helpful here.

Grell, can you create a new user and login to see if that user has the same issue?
cynwulf

Postby nauved » June 22nd, 2017, 3:39 pm

May the FORK be with you!
nauved

Postby cynwulf » June 23rd, 2017, 3:15 pm

Toolkits are very much about choice, it's really up to the developers as to what they use. Xfce project have decided to eventually move to gtk+3 and many existing xfce programmes such as mousepad, those you mentioned, etc have already been ported over. But for a long time there's simply been a bit "too much gnome" in Xfce for my liking.

Which is why I stick to good old fluxbox. It seems to be free of much of the freedesktop.org madness and you can pretty much just do it your way. No sign of binary configs there, not even XML in fact. It's also simple, fast and responsive, unlike gtk+2 based Xfce 4.x which chugs along (moving entirely to gtk+3 may improve this at least).

This is what many people fail to grasp: the "easy" auto configured "fully functional" desktops come burdened with all of the crap you might not like and configured according to someone's preferences. If you want it "your way" you have to roll your sleeves up and do it yourself - having it both ways is not an option.
cynwulf

Return to Desktop & Multimedia