Help with Xfce plugin indicator

Use this forum for questions related to graphics, sound or desktop environments.

Help with Xfce plugin indicator

Postby caulfield » March 5th, 2013, 8:43 am

Hi guys!

So, everything's peechy in Wheezy xfce, just need one more thing. I'd like my plugin indicator to be like the one in Xubuntu, so that means it contains: volume, battery, mail, and internet (i think those are the four in Xubu). When i install it in wheezy, i get only the envelope one for mail.

Thank you in advance!
caulfield

Re: Help with Xfce plugin indicator

Postby mojoman » March 5th, 2013, 4:03 pm

What Xfce4 plugins do you have installed now?

I think - though I don't know since I haven't used Xubuntu since 2006 or so but and it was actually pretty good back then - that Xubuntu both comes with some default packages but also with some default setting, that Debian most likely does not. So, my guess is that you both have to install some of these plugins and then also add them to you panel dock (Panel - Add new item- and then just pick whatever you fancy in your dock).

At least I think. Sorry If I misunderstood the question though.

/mojoman
Seriously, Stable is for senior citizens and Sid is for kids. Be a man and run Testing.
mojoman

Postby CiaW » March 6th, 2013, 2:46 am

As I recall there used to be panel items you could add for some of those things. If they're not available, try installing the xfce goodies package? I used to use xfce, now I'm using Mate. I used to have a floating panel with a couple of those items, plus a quick-launch bar.
CiaW

Postby caulfield » March 10th, 2013, 7:50 am

No, no, what i meant is that 'indicator plugin' in xubuntu contains mailwatch, battery monitor and a volume icon/indicator. But here in 'non modified' xfce in wheezy, i can add only a volume controler which opens the alsa mixer, which i do not want :) i would only like to have a straightforward volume up and down slider, actually pretty much the same icon that's on gnome 2 & 3. You click on the volume icon and it brings up the slider for volume. Nothing else :)

+ would i benefit anything by installing pulseaudio in synaptic?

Thank you!

Can't wait to get all of this in order, really feel bad running xubuntu :(
caulfield

Postby CiaW » March 10th, 2013, 7:38 pm

I don't have pulseaudio installed and everything works fine, for the most part. You may need to tell VLC to use alsa if you use VLC.

As for the volume and other stuff for your panel, I'm looking in synaptic, and perhaps xfce4-mixer ? Also xfce4-indicator-plugin, there's also a mailwatch plugin. Aha, you may want the xfce-goodies, which also includes the gnome-applet-plugin. Though I'm not positive how many gnome3 plugins it supports, the volume plugin may work.

Otherwise, hopefully someone that uses XFCE on Wheezy can assist.
CiaW

Return to Desktop & Multimedia