deciding between Debian and Windows XP

Talk about anything you feel like talking about. Pull up a soapbox and pontificate to your heart's content. May contain some adult humour or otherwise objectionable content (NSFW). No warez, pr0n or illegal stuff.

Re: deciding between Debian and Windows XP

Postby golinux » September 29th, 2014, 3:58 am

thatsbetterinit wrote:my concern is that debian is reaching end of support november 5th . . .

Huh?!?!?! Squeeze will be supported until 2016 and wheezy probably another couple of years after that. Then it will be crunch time . . .
May the FORK be with you!
golinux

Postby thatsbetterinit » September 29th, 2014, 4:24 am

golinux wrote:Squeeze will be supported until 2016

i can't wait that long, i need office 2003 compatibility like it was yesterday (the beatles song, not the box on the calendar) oh well, this thread is sillier than i thought :|
thatsbetterinit

Postby sir fer » June 17th, 2017, 10:56 pm

I've seen the error of my ways and gone back to Windows ME, the best windows ever
sir fer

Postby CwF » August 31st, 2017, 2:51 pm

The BEST: XP on KVM on debian.
CwF

Postby jheaton5 » September 8th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I was extremely productive in DOS. I could even program in BASIC. What I have discovered is an app in debian called dosbox. It simulates DOS on my debian machine. Wow! I'm back in business. :twisted:
jheaton5

Postby cynwulf » November 2nd, 2017, 5:20 pm

I still write the odd batch file for work, mainly for software installers/upgrades.

My era was DOS and the last Windows I used at home extensively was 98SE. I later got XP for running a few games and still have an XP install hanging about for that purpose, but it gets booted every few months, if that. Most services are disabled, including everything to do with networking, so it doesn't get connected to any LAN/WAN.

At work I use Windows 8.1 and also set up tons of 7 and 10 PCs. We have the odd Vista and XP still lying around as well.

All utter shite if you ask me... In an alternative reality, IBM might have made something out of OS/2 given the chance, but MS were never going to make anything good out of NT.

Windows 8/10 is the biggest turd yet. They have really nailed 'horrible and confusing complexity' this time. I have to give it to them.
"What, are you... uh... undercover or something?"
"No, I'm underpaid."
cynwulf

Postby JohnDeere630 » November 3rd, 2017, 12:59 am

cynwulf wrote:Windows 8/10 is the biggest turd yet. They have really nailed 'horrible and confusing complexity' this time. I have to give it to them.

LOL...and on that, I agree 100%
We scare because we care.....
JohnDeere630

Previous

Return to Nonsense